Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nick Freeman article

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 01:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nick Freeman article

Bit old, just saw it via a link today. From Guardian but not too raving lefty. May be of interest to you all.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/story/0,,1695967,00.html
Old 12 June 2006, 02:19 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Bit old, just saw it via a link today. From Guardian but not too raving lefty. May be of interest to you all.
Good article. By his own admission a lot of his clients are rich scum who get away with serious motoring offences on technicalities. Naz would have done well to hire him!
Old 12 June 2006, 03:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Difficult to know how to feel about this. Some things that spring to my mind:

1) I think most of us would support a good lawer on our sides if we were caught speeding and felt we had a genuine grievance that might not otherwise get across in court e.g. a calibration error on a camera or something like that.

2) At the same time I really don't like the idea of drink drivers/seriously dangerous individuals getting off on a technicality

3) But, I acknowledge that sometimes you have to exploit deficiencies in the system to highlight them and get them rectified, which maybe the one good thing that emerges from rich scumbags getting off serious charges.

4) Procedures are there for a reason and police must not be allowed to flaunt them with impunity and expect a succesful prosecution, so maybe someone like him in necessary to keep them on their toes.

5) Number 4 would be less tennable if his services were only accessible to the rich and not the majority of British motorists. However, he appears to have done something about that.

6) It's hard for me to accept fully that someone can represent people knowing full well they're guilty as sin of something utterly irresponsible that could quite have easily meant a death or serious injury and not go home feeling a bit guilty, especially when it's done for financial gain.

7) Why haven't more laywers jumped on this bandwagon!

Ns04
Old 12 June 2006, 03:47 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Hell is reserved for people like him.
Old 12 June 2006, 03:58 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

1) I think most of us would support a good lawer on our sides if we were caught speeding and felt we had a genuine grievance that might not otherwise get across in court e.g. a calibration error on a camera or something like that.

2) At the same time I really don't like the idea of drink drivers/seriously dangerous individuals getting off on a technicality

3) But, I acknowledge that sometimes you have to exploit deficiencies in the system to highlight them and get them rectified, which maybe the one good thing that emerges from rich scumbags getting off serious charges.

4) Procedures are there for a reason and police must not be allowed to flaunt them with impunity and expect a succesful prosecution, so maybe someone like him in necessary to keep them on their toes.

5) Number 4 would be less tennable if his services were only accessible to the rich and not the majority of British motorists. However, he appears to have done something about that.

6) It's hard for me to accept fully that someone can represent people knowing full well they're guilty as sin of something utterly irresponsible that could quite have easily meant a death or serious injury and not go home feeling a bit guilty, especially when it's done for financial gain.

Ns04
Agree with everything you say.

It's even more alarming when you think that the same "two tier" legal system exemplified here gets the rich off death row in the US.

Steve
Old 12 June 2006, 04:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Agree with everything you say.

It's even more alarming when you think that the same "two tier" legal system exemplified here gets the rich off death row in the US.

Steve
Yep, that's scary!

Everyone is entitled to the best defence in the same way that everyone is entitled to buy a house in Mayfair!

Ns04
Old 12 June 2006, 06:10 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Ns04
Becuase most lawyers are very poor on their in depth knowldge of procedure/road traffic law....Im a solicitor, and I am regularly amused by solicitors who havnt got a clue when it comes to these matters...

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2006, 06:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by turboman786
Becuase most lawyers are very poor on their in depth knowldge of procedure/road traffic law....Im a solicitor, and I am regularly amused by solicitors who havnt got a clue when it comes to these matters...
Most but not all solicitors haven't got a clue full stop.
Old 12 June 2006, 07:56 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Latest news on Look North, a motorist has got off with both the fine and twelve points for being caught speeding four times on Stocksbridge bypass. The reason being incorrect speed camera signs something which is the case on nearly all Uk roads!!! Implication , if you get caught speeding chances are you will get away with and will not need Nick Freeman either!
Old 12 June 2006, 08:57 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Most but not all solicitors haven't got a clue full stop.
Sadly very true......law is an oversubscribed profession and there are some real numpties out there wearing the badge......