Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

advice needed before killing neighbours..

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 09:56 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry advice needed before killing neighbours..

i have got a dog/garden dispute thats been going on for a while and am at a loss what to do

i have a 6 month old chiuhuaha puppy and i have made a secure enclosure on the patio of my garden. she has access then into my house. next door(the attatched side) they have a Staffy and a Rocky. the staffy has been there about 7 years and the rocky is a new addition. on their side they have a high fence and on mine i have trees along the fence. 5 years ago i had a conservatory built and a couple of years later they had one built as well so now the fence runs between the two conservatories.
over the last few weeks i have heard the two dogs trying to rip through the fence near the conservatories next to my patio. my daughter gets very frightened when this happens as we cant see, but can hear the snarling and stuff as the dogs are getting into a frenzy trying to get through. when this happens i have to bring my daughter and dog in and shut the doors.
the dogs have now managed to break through into my garden and i have led the dogs round to their house and told them they need to stop their dogs as mine is very tiny and vunerable and my daughter is scared. nothing has been done to prevent their dogs from getting into mine and i am getting sick of it. i want to be able to let my daughter and dog out into their own garden and know they are safe!
anyway the other day i returned one of their dogs and said that this couldnt carry on. i couldnt believe the reply i got.........i was told that i was the one that should repair their fence as they were the ones to put it up and its only fair that i repaired it!!! the neighbour then asked if i was going to repair it, i said 'no' and the door was slammed in my face.
i find it difficult to believe that when their dogs are ripping the fence to pieces they are sitting there saying 'its ok, we will get sara to come round and fix it'

i have a few options, but not one that will resolve this dispute.
i have thought that when their dogs get into my property i will leave my back gate open so they can wander round the streets until they are picked up or i can call the dog warden and say i have found some missing dogs and the owners will have to pay to get them back. i dont want to let the dogs roam about as they could cause an accident or injury to others. i dont know the best way to handle this without falling out in a major way. it is not a police matter..any suggestions?
Old 13 June 2006, 10:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dog warden sounda a good idea TBH

less hassle all round
Old 13 June 2006, 10:08 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Who owns the boundary? As it may be your responsibility.

Having said that, why not just put a wire fence up in the interim?

Steve
Old 13 June 2006, 10:09 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Yeh I'd second the wire fence, or maybe something so that they can't see through to your garden
Old 13 June 2006, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dog warden. Has to be. Also, make clear to said warden your fear of the dogs, your fears for your daughter and your puppy. Put it in writing.

Alcazar
Old 13 June 2006, 10:11 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Remember its not the dogs fault, its the owner(s) so dont be nasty to the woofers !
Old 13 June 2006, 10:13 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Could be a police matter as it is a legal requirement to ensure that a dog cannot escape from its own garden. Ask them to replace the fence if not you will contact the RSPCA to remove the dog.
Old 13 June 2006, 10:18 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Were the neighbours dogs fine 'before' you bought the drowned rat though ?
Old 13 June 2006, 10:18 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i thought about a mesh fence on my side but i have trees all along and wouldnt be able to get behind it. there are lots of things i could do but i dont think i should have to. i am here on my own with my daughter and have made my garden secure. i know that if i did put up some wire fence they would only rip it down anyway. also the cost isnt something i would be happy about as its not my dogs doing this. as for the boundries, they put the fence on thier side of the original wire fence and i put the trees on mine, so their fence is their responsibility. i wouldnt be cruel to the animals but i would love for the owners to get whats coming to them, i just dont know what i can do that will make them more responsible. i am going to find out about the dog warden rules, but in the meantime i would be gratefull for any suggestions

i never had any problems before i got my dog, but then they got another one. my dog will be in season in a few weeks so i am desperate
Old 13 June 2006, 10:29 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
they put the fence on thier side of the original wire fence and i put the trees on mine, so their fence is their responsibility
Hello

The fence is their responsibility but they do not have to repair it if they don't want to. They DO have to secure their dogs. On the deeds of the house it will be written who actually 'owns' the boundary and it is that person's responsibility to fit a suitable barrier (wire fence/trees/whatever) between the gardens.

Steve
Old 13 June 2006, 10:32 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently had the "That's my bit of land" issue with a neighbour, niggling comments when I was mowing "Thanks for mowing my grass" etc. He said that it was given to him by the previous owners of his house and that I had to move my stuff off it (had a few blocks there while the conservatory was being built). Started to get bolshey when I said no as I know the land is mine. Then the shouting started about f**king solicitors, my land blah blah etc.

I went on to the Land Registery Site and bought the an official copy of the Land Deeds, show's boundaries, who own's what, drains maintenance etc, ground issues etc.

When they came back it said the land was mine and that it was part of the original plan. Also found out that the boundary was mine and that I had to maintain it, so up went a fence, as per the Land Registery Deeds.

If you have a dispute this is a legal document required by both parties involved.

I also found out that my neighbour had a caution against is name from a leading bank! Gave him a copy when they arrived.

Funnily enough not a dicky bird since!!

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/

http://www.landsearch.net/

Best few quid I have spent.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 13 June 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 13 June 2006, 10:42 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Tell the police that when your neighbours dogs got onto your property, they went for your daughter. That should sort it out.

Failing that, have a word with your local pet store. I've heard that you can buy some spray to put down on the ground that dogs hate. Putting this around the area they get through, should stop them.

Failing that, buy a Australian razor back dog !!!! My cousin has one, and it's like a horse. An Alsation went for it one day, out of the blue. Knocked it completely over, then started trying to bite it. My cousin's dog, just simply got up and tore the Alsation apart.
I have a staffy, and no way would I let it start on a Razor back. I don't want a dead Staffy !
Old 13 June 2006, 10:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Last time we had a boundry maintanence dispute...the boundry belonged to the neighbours. WE paid for the new fence (with neighbour's permission). We wanted the fence - not them, therefore we paid for it - sounded fair to me.

From then on, although it was still the neighbour's boundry. The fence was ours so we could do what we like with it interms of maintanence. Neighbours had no problem with this agreement, as it was our sole wish to renew the fence.

The typical attidtude you will find is that if the neighbours are happy with the condition of their boundry, they aren't going to pay for repairs to sort out your problem.
Old 13 June 2006, 10:51 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

On your side of the property, dig an large hole. You'll be using this as a dog toilet for your chiuhuaha. When your neigbours dogs get through the fence and fall into the hole,shoot 'em and fill in the hole, as you've decided it was too large for your chiuhuaha.

Seriously, I sympathise. Get a dog warden involved. Until then, put something bloody heavy infront of the hole. Good luck
Old 13 June 2006, 10:53 AM
Reality
BANNED

Put barbed wire up on your side of the fence.

It's thier dog or your child.

You can **** around with the "Authorities" all you like - this will prevent your child from being the next victim of a devil dog !
Old 13 June 2006, 10:54 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Bint, look at the wider picture you have here. 2 'mad' dogs tunnelling under your conservatory, causing it to leak. It's got to be your new insurance claim, surely?

That's your last weeks problem sorted.

As for this boundary (fence) issue, well, fix it yourself somehow or let relations between you and your neighbour collapse totally, whilst still having the problem of an insecure garden.

You're old and ugly enough to rise above it and take care of your own, first and foremost.
Old 13 June 2006, 11:04 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

drown the staffie in your pool.
Old 13 June 2006, 11:05 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just buy a gun and shoot them.....

...... the neighbours that is, not the dogs

HTH
Old 13 June 2006, 11:08 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'll come round and fix your fence sara

chop
Old 13 June 2006, 11:28 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i thought about a mesh fence on my side but i have trees all along and wouldnt be able to get behind it. there are lots of things i could do but i dont think i should have to. i am here on my own with my daughter and have made my garden secure. i know that if i did put up some wire fence they would only rip it down anyway. also the cost isnt something i would be happy about as its not my dogs doing this. as for the boundries, they put the fence on thier side of the original wire fence and i put the trees on mine, so their fence is their responsibility. i wouldnt be cruel to the animals but i would love for the owners to get whats coming to them, i just dont know what i can do that will make them more responsible. i am going to find out about the dog warden rules, but in the meantime i would be gratefull for any suggestions

i never had any problems before i got my dog, but then they got another one. my dog will be in season in a few weeks so i am desperate
Tell them if it happens again you'll put they're dogs up on EBAY with no reserve!

Pepper spray may well do the trick when they go under the wire next. Second or third the dog warden bit...

You won't want to dwell on it but maybe keep a large spade or something near to the back door.

J.
Old 13 June 2006, 11:36 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Sara, To put a slightly different complexion on things. What would happen if either your daughter or your dog decided to squirm through that gap into next door's garden ? And with resulting consequences........
Were it my problem, I'd be swallowing my pride and putting my own defences up between the two properties to ensure the safety of my beloved. Sod the neighbours and their stubborness. They are obviously not worth a second thought. Your daughter and dog are, however.
Yve
Old 13 June 2006, 11:42 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

^^Seconded
Old 13 June 2006, 11:43 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Oh, and Yve could probably sort you out a few Wolves as well
Old 13 June 2006, 11:44 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Sara, To put a slightly different complexion on things. What would happen if either your daughter or your dog decided to squirm through that gap into next door's garden ? And with resulting consequences........
Were it my problem, I'd be swallowing my pride and putting my own defences up between the two properties to ensure the safety of my beloved. Sod the neighbours and their stubborness. They are obviously not worth a second thought. Your daughter and dog are, however.

Yve
Completely agree.
And i also have come to the conclusion there are some right ***** on here.
Old 13 June 2006, 11:48 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Shaolin
Completely agree.
And i also have come to the conclusion there are some right ***** on here.
it's taken you 1000 posts to realise that
Old 13 June 2006, 11:51 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Failing that, buy a Australian razor back dog !!!! My cousin has one, and it's like a horse. An Alsation went for it one day, out of the blue. Knocked it completely over, then started trying to bite it. My cousin's dog, just simply got up and tore the Alsation apart.
I have a staffy, and no way would I let it start on a Razor back. I don't want a dead Staffy !
This is not a good idea, particularly when children are involved. Anyway, what the hell's a Razorback - I've never heard of it?
Old 13 June 2006, 11:54 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

A Razorback can be a nasty piece of work, one took two chunks out of my Golden Retriever a few weeks ago, totally unprovocked
Old 13 June 2006, 11:57 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Your neighbours dont have to do anything to their boundary fence if they dont want to. However they do have a responsibility to keep their dogs secure and not pose a threat to anybody / thing else. Sounds like they are playing a dangerous game. What would happen if the dogs got into the garden when the little on was their ! How would they feel about that, if they are not interested then they have very little regard for you or your family.

Take it up with the police / dog warden if they are not prepared to do anything.
Old 13 June 2006, 12:00 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
it's taken you 1000 posts to realise that
But there are some decent people though............well a few......ish ;-)
Old 13 June 2006, 12:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
This is not a good idea, particularly when children are involved. Anyway, what the hell's a Razorback - I've never heard of it?
I was only joking saying that about getting a Razorback. They are quite scary dogs though. They do look like a Horse, and would have no problem sorting out a Staffy & Rotty. It runs behind my cousins car at over 30mph (on private tracks) and it never looks like it's even trying. They can be VERY unpredictable though. Another dog so much as even growls at him, and he attacks (luckily he is always muzzled) and usually on a lead.
I won't let my staffy anywhere near him.

Although I said he is unpredictable, he is well trained and obeys my cousin rigidly. He is soft around my cousins family. A very good guard dog.I'd hate to be the burglar who breaks into my cousins house. I pity the fool !!!!!

Sara.
I would agree with other comments above though. Get the fence sorted out yourself. Saves any harm coming to your daughter and dog

Quick Reply: advice needed before killing neighbours..