Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When your boss makes a fcuk up....

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 04:37 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When your boss makes a **** up....

Just found out company I am currently contracted to have just made a fairly big **** up which has resulted in us being sued.

My boss made the decision and I advised him NOT to do what he did and that the situation was being handled in the wrong way.

Thank god I objected at the time fairly vocally so everyone knows I was against it and my staff know who is in the wrong. Otherwise guess who would have got the blame

chop

:walksroundtheofficeallsmug:

Old 13 June 2006, 04:52 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Lap it up, when he gets sacked you can slip into his job :-)
Old 13 June 2006, 04:59 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

you can't post this without telling us what he fcuked up on
Old 13 June 2006, 05:37 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Or, depending on the politics in your place and your boss's standing with those above, you may have to rally round and help defend the organisation.
Which may, depending on your place and the politics, get you Brownie points.
Only you can make that call.
Old 13 June 2006, 06:45 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Mmm been in a very similar situation myself for a major DIY Retailer. System upgrade went wrong, I recommended certainly actions for rollback etc, but I was over ruled by my boss, 10 mins after upgrade, disk errors, upgrade f**ked up the database. Tried to retore backups, but due to the boss not signing contracts with support company, backup scripts were never updated, so missing partitions i.e. no backup.

If I was you, I would pull out emails, proof about what you said. I wrote a number of emails stating my concern about backups, coverage, how we needed to test them, perform a backup / restore, but was told not to worry about it. They saved me !!!!! As the boss was trying to push that on to me.

Remember, your a contractor, like myself, and in theory, you can be sued as a company, as if its proved that you were at fault, your company, i.e. owe !!!

My situation lasted 2 / 3 weeks, solicitors / auditors were called in, interviews, having to have representation with me everytime. Not a plesant memory I can tell you.

In the end, department got closed down, 40 people lost their jobs / made redundant, and I got paid off, i.e. notice period.

SBK
Old 13 June 2006, 07:01 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

My boss ***** up all the time. As a result 15000 have so far lost their job this year alone, and she gets the nice big fat salary with ministerial car. I work in the NHS, by the way.
Old 13 June 2006, 08:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Just found out company I am currently contracted to have just made a fairly big **** up which has resulted in us being sued.

My boss made the decision and I advised him NOT to do what he did and that the situation was being handled in the wrong way.

Thank god I objected at the time fairly vocally so everyone knows I was against it and my staff know who is in the wrong. Otherwise guess who would have got the blame

chop

:walksroundtheofficeallsmug:

Of course if he may try and turn it around saying that your vocal outburst shows you were not committed to the strategy and so you went out of your way to make sure that the project failed!
Old 13 June 2006, 08:31 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

I work as a Business Analyst in the IT Projects department of a multi-national. The potential is there, as above, for mistakes and errors in judgement to cause major issues. This in my opinion is one reason why senior figures in organisations are paid what they are. They are ultimately responsible and carry the can if it does all go very wrong.

However, unless my boss is a complete horror of a human being or were to make an absolutely critical mistake, I would usually support them. I see it as an opportunity to show commitment, not only to the company, but to the individual. We all make mistakes and when we do, you need people who are willing to support you. In the long term the relationship you establish with the person in question is worth any short term trouble.

I am permanently employeed however and can see why somebody in on contract may not wish to have to have their own judgement and capabilities called into question.