Moving to Eindhoven/The Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2006, 02:57 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Eindhoven/The Netherlands

Hi All

Sorry, a bit of a ‘what shall I do with my life?’ thread.

I have an interview next week for a job in Eindhoven. It’s for a 6 – 12 month temp contract with a view to permanent placement, and would be my first ‘proper’ job– I’m currently still doing my Masters in Engineering. I've been told that everyone that has got this far stands a good chance of being offered a post, not just 1 in 15 of us or whatever, so it's looking good

I’m not really sure about the job itself, it’s not really in a field of engineering in which I’m expert or particularly interested, but I think it would be worth a try and it would involve regular global travel which appeals a great deal. I also desperately need some real work experience on my CV (only done office temping etc up to now) so even if it doesn’t work out it would be invaluable from that point of view. (Obviously I won’t word things quite like this in the interview )

I was hoping to get some SN wisdom re the relocation and living in the Netherlands, I really don’t know much about the place but think there are some people on here with connections there. Is it a good place to be? Also general opinions of moving to Europe at 22? How does income tax etc work if you’re living abroad in these circumstances?

I do feel I’d like to live abroad for a while but am much less sure about doing so long-term at this stage in my life. I’m concerned about how it will affect my relationship as am used to living 10 minutes walk from my girlfriend's. She has been supportive of my application to this and various other things (even inc one for a year in NYC which I’m yet to hear about) and has applied to things in London and abroad herself but it looks like she’ll be staying in Sheffield for the time being. I’ve also got a flat in Sheffield and am loathed to sell it as it’s ideal for me at the moment (except not being near my potential job!) and I’ve put a lot of work into it. I have a lodger which almost covers the mortgage, plus the company would pay my rent in Eindhoven for the temp contract’s duration so if I got a second tenant I would make some healthy profit, but it would be a hassle to be a remote landlord and I’m sure the flat’s condition would deteriorate quite quickly which would be frustrating.

It’s a bit sad to consider this at this stage I know, but what happens about taking a car abroad for a relatively long period of time? Eindhoven’s relative proximity to the Nurburgring is enticing! How often does it need to come back to the UK in order to avoid having to get Dutch registration, and would any insurers even consider me (hard enough as it is at 22 with a modded Impreza non-turbo)? I believe the Dutch are quite anti-car (correct?) so it might not be worth the hassle – I could leave it here to use when I visit home, then see what happens after the temp contract ends.

Any advice would be welcome anyway.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 02 September 2006, 03:05 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If I were you I'd go for it! I bet you'll end up staying at least a few years too! It is difficult to get experience straight out of uni - Ive been working for almost 3years since leaving uni now, but it was tricky getting my first proper job with no experience - but once you've been working for 12months its far easier.

You wont always have the freedom to move around so much when you have kids (who you cant keep upping out of schools etc), so enjoy it while you can!

I dont know much about life in the Netherlands, but there are a few cloggers on here (Suresh and others I think) so no doubt they'll be about to help with those details. My parents lived in Holland for 8years and they seemd to like it however, but Im sure its a different place now.

Good luck getting the job anyway!
Old 02 September 2006, 03:58 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

**** that get a job in london. Usually its the dutch and germans that come to england for a job, and your telling me you cant get one in the UK.

whats the wage like?
Old 02 September 2006, 04:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Do it,

if nothing else, its a way to get round the world

you can always leave if you dont like it!

unlesss you try it you,ll never know

Mart
Old 07 September 2006, 01:20 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I've got the job

Haven't accepted yet as I said I wanted to visit Eindhoven first. I guess what I really meant is talk it through with our lass Still very apprehensive about how it would affect things with her - I'll be in Holland for 6 weeks then off at a client's site (Japan, Taiwan, USA, China, etc) for 6 weeks then back to Holland, and so on. With only 20 days holiday I won't be seeing her much I do realise it's a great chance to see the world and I can always get out if needs be, so thanks for the advice above.

Would really appreciate some advice re the more practical issues like the car and taxation. I'd be employed by a UK based agency during this temp contract, so would I avoid tax in the Netherlands and simply pay UK tax as if I were working here? Have a couple of potential tenants for my flat but it's still going to be a right hassle being a remote landlord.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 07 September 2006, 01:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
**** that get a job in london. Usually its the dutch and germans that come to england for a job, and your telling me you cant get one in the UK.

whats the wage like?
I worked in Brussels for a year through a UK contracting agency and was earning the same as London rates.
Old 07 September 2006, 01:29 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes go for it, forget london! You will see some of the world and can watch from the sidelines as the UK goes down the pan!

dont sell your property here, make sure you stay on the ladder otherwise you might not get back on.

Good luck
Old 07 September 2006, 01:39 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Well done matey. I was in a similar boat to you when I was 26 (34 now). I got offered a 12 month contract, working in Japan, around £2K sterling a week, flights, hotel paid for.

However, I didnt take it due to the g/f I was with. She made a right song and dance about it, I thought I was in love etc etc. So, never too kthe job.

Regretted it years later, as that was a lost opportunatity. So, my adivce to you, is to do what you feel is best, dont let others change you mind. Living abroad, in Holland, and I know a few people that have lived in that town and its meant to be great fun, never regretted going over there. The girls there are.................... lovely :-)

I would go for it, better to regret what you've done, than regret what you havent done ! At 22, travelling around is great fun. I wish I had done it, but at 34, houses, cars, etc etc, just too old and cant be bothered.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 07 September 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07 September 2006, 01:43 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

..if you get paid in UK currency won't you be losing a fair chunk in exchange rates?
Old 07 September 2006, 02:18 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

http://www.thepink.nl

This might be useful

I may have casually wandered past it once
Old 07 September 2006, 04:08 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
http://www.thepink.nl

This might be useful

I may have casually wandered past it once
With a name like that, I thought it was a brothel. How disappointing
Old 07 September 2006, 04:45 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I'd say go for it - your young mate and you've got your whole life ahead of you. rent your flat out to another lodger and reduce the rental for yoru buddy on the condition that he takes care of the admin work whilst your away. 20 days holiday seems a problem but.... your GF can always bob over to see you for long weekends etc. if you try you can make it work.

Go for it you'll never look back
Old 07 September 2006, 07:40 PM
scoobmeister
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eindhoven is a great city, really friendly people I've seen a few Impreza's driving round as well, Just watch out for the cyclists they have priority over everyone!
Old 08 September 2006, 05:58 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for all the supportive replies I'm 95% sure I'm going to go for it now - I've realised I'll probably regret it if I don't go so that's the clincher.

The pay is in-line with other graduate jobs in engineering, but this package includes free accomodation and a car so pretty good but not London rates! I'm happy enough with it from that point of view, and not interested in living in London anyway.

Now planning a visit over there in a couple of weeks; glad to hear it's thought of as a fun city. GF is being understanding and supportive about it all to her credit. I've always said I want to go travelling for a year in the not too distant future, so at least doing it this way the longest we won't see each other for is 6 weeks

Still need to find some info out about the tax situation and whether I can take my car. Also need to check about health insurance because it's difficult for me to get private cover having had shoulder surgery in the past few months. Nothing should go wrong with it now, but I don't want to be stuck out in the far East with no/compromised cover.

Thanks again for the replies.