Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2006, 06:05 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Black Ghost Knife Fish

Anyone keep them or had them

I got one today about 12" long

Had a couple before but they mysteriously disappeared, the first one i think lost out to two sun catfish the other went in a different tank and seem to disappear eventually both were quite small tho, this one is a nice big one now

This isnt mine but a pic of one like it

Old 03 September 2006, 07:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah the old "Apteronotus albifrons" as we fishy peeps say

Never heard of it before but looks a great fish. Assume you must have a decent size tank!

(Isn't Google wonderful) dl
Old 03 September 2006, 07:07 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

yes google is good , tank is a Jewel Rekord 180, but I have a few other tanks too

I have a synodontis too, and since i put the knife fish in, they have been at each others throats, hope they settle down soon
Old 03 September 2006, 07:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You'll have to call it "Mac" from one of the greatest songs ever...

Yeah we've got a Juwel, one with a curved front. Really nice tanks IMHO. dl
Old 03 September 2006, 11:00 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Just gutted out the fish tank after my last fish died (he was 14 yo) looking to start keeping something differant, any sugestions? Was thinking about Mollys as they don't eat their fry, or should I go for Cichlids again
Old 03 September 2006, 11:03 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Chiclids are way better than molly's, Tam.. just dont decide to get somehing like a Pictus Pim catfish or similar if you do go for mollys ( or guppy's).. buggers love the 'fry'..
Old 03 September 2006, 11:04 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Cichlids are really nice

You could go for a community tank this time, or marine, if you have a big enough tank, some of them are gorgeous

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2006, 11:06 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
Chiclids are way better than molly's, Tam.. just dont decide to get somehing like a Pictus Pim catfish or similar if you do go for mollys ( or guppy's).. buggers love the 'fry'..
We had a pengassius catfish once, was a shame when it died, but also a relief in a way as we were worried about how big it would grow as we were mis-informed by the place we bought it (Don't go there now )
Old 04 September 2006, 05:32 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Think I'll perhaps go for a community tank this time as it's more for the kids, my days of having 6 fish tanks is well and truely over.

It was pengassius catfish and silver sharks I had before, they were huge and they lived for well over 15 yrs, they got so big I buried them in the garden when they died, as I was affraid they'd block the ****ter if I flushed them.
Old 04 September 2006, 05:33 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Should start a Scoobynet zoo section.
Old 04 September 2006, 05:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
Should start a Scoobynet zoo section.
It's called NSR..........
Old 04 September 2006, 05:48 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Old 04 September 2006, 06:55 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Think I'll perhaps go for a community tank this time as it's more for the kids, my days of having 6 fish tanks is well and truely over.

It was pengassius catfish and silver sharks I had before, they were huge and they lived for well over 15 yrs, they got so big I buried them in the garden when they died, as I was affraid they'd block the ****ter if I flushed them.
Blimey! How many did you have and how big were they?

We really like the pengassius Catfish, but they're known as tankbusters and I knew we wouldn't have room for a tank big enough for them at full size

Guppies etc are OK for kids, nice and colourful, not to big and inexpensive to replace if they die

I peresonally really like clown loaches, I had 3 but I think they came to a sticky end with my two SunCat's We have 3 Polka Dot Botia's too, which are from the same family, but only grow about 3 - 4 " and they're really funny doing little dances in the water at feeding time really amusing to watch

Community tanks are good for veriety, as long as they're all compatible and won't attack each other
Old 04 September 2006, 10:28 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

A few more of some of my fish now

This is the knife fish's head

Oh, and still my favourite

Last edited by *Sonic*; 04 September 2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04 September 2006, 10:32 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

****. I didn't ike fish before i read this thread, and now this photo has really scared the ****e out of me..

it's their eyes... and their scales.. and omg ...*puke*

My other half has Koi in a large pond out in the garden.. and I can't even bear to look at them.. how do you guys do it??
Old 04 September 2006, 10:37 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL LG, it is most definately NOT a Koi, they are in the pond outside my Ghost Koi is really nice too

The fish in the picture is a Synodontis, and doesnt have any scales, neither does my Knife Fish, in fact most of my fish dont have scales

Originally Posted by little-ginge
****. I didn't ike fish before i read this thread, and now this photo has really scared the ****e out of me..

it's their eyes... and their scales.. and omg ...*puke*

My other half has Koi in a large pond out in the garden.. and I can't even bear to look at them.. how do you guys do it??
Old 04 September 2006, 10:38 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Aww, he's really cute him, a fair size too, he has a really cheeky face....for a fish
Old 04 September 2006, 10:44 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Blimey! How many did you have and how big were they?

We really like the pengassius Catfish, but they're known as tankbusters and I knew we wouldn't have room for a tank big enough for them at full size

Guppies etc are OK for kids, nice and colourful, not to big and inexpensive to replace if they die

I peresonally really like clown loaches, I had 3 but I think they came to a sticky end with my two SunCat's We have 3 Polka Dot Botia's too, which are from the same family, but only grow about 3 - 4 " and they're really funny doing little dances in the water at feeding time really amusing to watch

Community tanks are good for veriety, as long as they're all compatible and won't attack each other

D the biggest was about 9", I just couldn't flush them down the lavvy I ended up with four, 2 silver sharks the wee one was about 6" the big yin about 8" The pengassius Catfish were about 6" and 9". They all lived for over 10 yrs, only found out today that the heater is goosed and the thermometer is reading higher than the actual temp, so maybe that is what killed the wee guys

Anyway new heater and thermometer = an excited 9yo lass today, I'll get a couple of fish tomorrow (to see how they get on) and I'll take it from there

Sonic, cracking pics of the fish
Old 04 September 2006, 10:54 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Sonic, what type of fish is he? I like it

Old 04 September 2006, 10:57 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Tam

He is a Golden Nugget Plec, not the cheapest of Plecs, but the shop he came from they had one that was a few years old, and about 15 inches, and slightly different colouring, as he will change as he gets older, he was a present from D.K. for my birthday last year, he will soon be 1, or at least 1 year old in my tank which was also part of my birthday present too
Old 04 September 2006, 11:03 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

D the biggest was about 9", I just couldn't flush them down the lavvy I ended up with four, 2 silver sharks the wee one was about 6" the big yin about 8" The pengassius Catfish were about 6" and 9". They all lived for over 10 yrs, only found out today that the heater is goosed and the thermometer is reading higher than the actual temp, so maybe that is what killed the wee guys

Anyway new heater and thermometer = an excited 9yo lass today, I'll get a couple of fish tomorrow (to see how they get on) and I'll take it from there

Sonic, cracking pics of the fish
Aww, that's a shame I bet they were lovely too at those sizes ! Heaters are quite often killers of fish if they over heat or stop working so the water is too cold

What are you thinking of getting then? Maybe worth getting a couple of "cheap" fish, just to get the bacteria etc started off in the tank to help with the cycle (Tank start stuff)
Old 04 September 2006, 11:06 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

coolie loaches and plecs are wonderful creatures..
Old 04 September 2006, 11:10 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I was surprised Sonic managed to get such a good pic of one of his coolies, so fast and very small too !
Old 04 September 2006, 11:13 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Tam

He is a Golden Nugget Plec, not the cheapest of Plecs, but the shop he came from they had one that was a few years old, and about 15 inches, and slightly different colouring, as he will change as he gets older, he was a present from D.K. for my birthday last year, he will soon be 1, or at least 1 year old in my tank which was also part of my birthday present too
Your lass looks after you well I've had lots of plecs (just brown ones) who work hard when they are wee, but when they get bigger they just lie next to the heater and only move when it's feeding time, apparently their fins are poisonus too
Old 04 September 2006, 11:16 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by hectic
coolie loaches and plecs are wonderful creatures..
I had a coolie and a winter loach, they both spent their entire lives under the gravel, I only ever seen them when gutting out the tank.
Old 04 September 2006, 11:16 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Poisonous? I never knew that!!

I once saw a Golden Nugget Plec that wasn't for sale, and he was a good 15", amazing too, when we bought this one, the guy who sold it said when they're big you can hold them and feed them off your hand
Old 04 September 2006, 11:17 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Coolie loaches are better in a gang, we have 5 and see them about quite often now
Old 04 September 2006, 11:19 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

I had a coolie and a winter loach, they both spent their entire lives under the gravel, I only ever seen them when gutting out the tank.
yup, my coolie loach was just the same..
Old 04 September 2006, 11:21 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Coolie loaches are better in a gang, we have 5 and see them about quite often now
Get Sonic to post more pics what size tank do yous have?
Old 04 September 2006, 11:24 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I'll see what he has got, it's really difficult to get good pics of the fish with them being in water and constantly moving

THe big tank is a Juwel Record 180 small one is a Juwel record 60 And the other one is a Juwel record 120

Quick Reply: Black Ghost Knife Fish