Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Argh, house buying and selling sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2006, 09:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Argh, house buying and selling sucks!

This is going to be part rant, part cry for help in the form of differing viewpoints and part catharsis.

We've managed to sell our house quickly and for pretty much full asking price to the bloke across the road. Bloke across the road is renting his current house to his brother-in-law who has now moved in so there are two families living in a small semi waiting for us to get out.

We found a house we liked, put an an offer which was accepted. The bloke told us that he wanted to sell quickly as he was an estate agent himself and had found a house he liked that he had first refusal on but had to sell his place within 8 weeks. Perfect. Except that house never made it on to the market and my vendor was forced to look for another house (cue 4 week delay).

My vendor then found another house, put in his offer which was accepted. Again, perfect. Except the house his vendor wanted was for sale via closed bids. Cue another 4 week delay until the bids were opened which was a complete waste of time because they got outbid

So now the situation is: bloke across the road wants us out (not unreasonably as he's been waiting for 2 and a half months). Our vendor would rather take his house off the market and lose his sale than move into rented accomodation as would his vendor i.e. none of the people up the chain are going to budge. We can either wait until either our vendor's vendor moves out or our vendor finds another property OR find another property ourselves.

Today we've found another property that we really like, the vendor of which is happy to bugger off out of quickly if it will seal the deal. The problem is I'm having difficulty getting rid of the emotional investment I've made in the other house. I'd pictured my life there etc. etc. and am having difficulty doing the same with this new house even though it ticks all the boxes.

WWSD? (What would Scoobynet do?). Over to you guys...
Old 03 September 2006, 09:26 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Seriously consider the second house if you actually like it. The first guy (estate agent) sounds like he has mucked you about and therefore is likely to continue doing so. Try not to worry about emotional investment in the first house as it is common for sales to fall through even at a late stage and you are only going to get disappointed. Try to think of it as a business deal and how much money is at stake. Save the emotional investment until you have moved in and you can start making it your home.

....and yes, it does suck!
Old 03 September 2006, 09:35 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, firstly have any of you exchanged contracts?

secondly, could you not move into rented accomodation temporarily ? (and no I no longer have room at my gaff )

When i put the offer in on my current place, I had already sold mine and *had* to be out by the end of march (financial year end, as housing association purchased it, but they only wanted to exchange and complete on the same day that i handed the keys over

I had a bit of fun with the previous owners as they had nowhere to live, and in the end bought a new house that was frought with delays and lack of building going on, and they kept moving the date back to when i could move in, until I finally had enough and forced them to exchange contracts with a defined completion date, they tried to change this again, but i refused to budge and made them go into rented accomodation, as i had to move back to my parents for 4 months as it was, and have all my stuff stored in about 4 or 5 different houses and garages etc

Anyway, originally i had made offer i had a lot of problems with them seeing other people and accepting other offers, so I went and found me a brand new house a few miles from here, still being built etc, that was ideal, ticked all the right boxes, but wasn't going to be quite home

The point i guess im trying to make is that I stuck it out for this house, as i had the emotional investment in it, and saw myself living here till the day I die

If I was you, I would seriously consider getting contracts all sorted, and moving into rented especially if you really want the house your after

S
Old 04 September 2006, 08:18 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Been there done that, as it happened the second house we ended up buying has actually worked out better in many respects!
Old 04 September 2006, 08:35 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Could you move out into a temporary rented house. That way the buyer across the road would be happy, and you could complete more quickly.