N80 - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2006, 01:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N80 - First Impressions

My N80 arrived on Tuesday, first impressions are,

looks small, when view from the front, however its the best part of an inch deep and its fairly weighty, feels well made.

The slider has a nice action, I read that it felt cheap, mine doesnt.

Keypad, slides out, nice action, much better than the horrid N70 one which was too small and the buttons wobbled, this is way better.

Camera, ok, not astounding and not really an advance on the N70, the software is better however and there is a macro mode.

Screen, best I have ever seen, no bigger than the N70's (and I though that had a nice screen) but the resolution is amazing, no matter how close you look, you cant see the pixels, the Three content is geared to older phones so this shows it up as being blocky.

WIFI, brilliant, soon had it connected to my wireless network and was surfing within minutes, was better when I found the second browser, i.e. not the '3' one as it scrolls a lot faster and has a pointer. It is actually quite usable for light browsing and displays full pages (make sure you set the font small), not mobile versions, wont play videos but then what do you expect, its a mobile phone, I expect that 2 years down the line there will be a full version of Firefox running on a mobile. The performance is ok but not like a nice new laptop. The UPNP software was easy to set up but struggled with my huge collection, then it was shareware, I need to look into this further.

Battery life, once set up properly, doesnt seem too bad but this is a feature rich phone, wouldnt have got it if I wanted ultimate battery life, have an old 3310 for extended trips, also if you are worried about that, get a car charger and a wall charger for at work.

Other connectivity, just about every method available, usb cable, bluetooth, infra red.

Performance, seems a bit snappier than the N70 but not much, can get slow if you run too many things at once. Hasnt crashed on me yet, any problems I have had so far have been me being inept.

Memory, 40 mb internal (bit tight considering), 128 k Micro SD card came with it, got another ones of Ebay for 30 quid, 2GB, unbeleiveable, I remember when pc's didnt have that much storage.

Music player, as you would expect, decent sound from the bundled headphones, also comes with an adaptor so you can plug your own headphones in.

So, so far I like it, there are some compramises such as its chunkiness, sometimes a bit slow etc but overall, quite impressed.

Last edited by J4CKO; 05 October 2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05 October 2006, 01:30 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true that tom tom mobile 5 can't be used on it?
Old 05 October 2006, 01:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent tried yet, but I did read something to that effect, to be honest I had it on the N70 and bought a dedicated SatNav unit as its a pain on a mobile, still have the GPS receiver so I might try it so I have it as an option.
Old 05 October 2006, 01:36 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Is it true that tom tom mobile 5 can't be used on it?
TomTom 6 does
Old 05 October 2006, 01:39 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Did you read my battery tips in this thread?https://www.scoobynet.com/imagine-li...t-t548690.html

I am very happy with the phone personally- even moreso now its black instead of silver
Old 05 October 2006, 01:42 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
TomTom 6 does
Where can I get a copy, for backup purposes obviously, ebay drew a blank
Old 05 October 2006, 04:50 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I have access to TT6 meester ...

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2006, 05:44 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Where can I get a copy, for backup purposes obviously, ebay drew a blank
Oink
Old 05 October 2006, 06:20 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Just got an 6280 today and it comes loaded with a mobile version of Sega rally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sccob though sadly
Old 05 October 2006, 07:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve, erm, you're nicked I think
Old 05 October 2006, 08:29 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
My N80 arrived on Tuesday,

Screen, best I have ever seen, no bigger than the N70's (and I though that had a nice screen) but the resolution is amazing, no matter how close you look, you cant see the pixels, the Three content is geared to older phones so this shows it up as being blocky.

WIFI, brilliant, soon had it connected to my wireless network and was surfing within minutes, was better when I found the second browser, i.e. not the '3' one as it scrolls a lot faster and has a pointer. It is actually quite usable for light browsing and displays full pages (make sure you set the font small), not mobile versions, wont play videos but then what do you expect, its a mobile phone,

The N80's has it's faults but there isn't any other phone I've tried thats as good with web pages. The screen is widely acclaimed as the clearest available, couple this with an excellent internet explorer type web browser and wifi and it's unbeatable on the web.

The TV and news broadcasts are 1st class but some of 3's music video content is very poor.

There is software about that allows the phone to play mpegs, avi's dvd's etc, have a look on http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/software/Series_60_3/

Cheers
Lee