Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GCSEs and Coursework

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 08:32 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GCSEs and Coursework

Heard some good news on the radio this morning, they've finally figured out people cheat at GCSE coursework and are going to start moving back to exams and classroom only moderated coursework.

They reported Maths would be the first subject to change in 2007, followed by English I think.

Worrying thing is it was the teachers admitting to help the kids 'cheat' that finally broke the camels back apparently.

Wonder if this will mean the girls start losing ground against the boys that they've gained over the last 10 odd years.
Old 06 October 2006, 08:35 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

About time too... I could gain a doctorate in brain surgery via Wilkipedia or Google etc by rewording and jumbling up other peoples work!

Anyway, at 15/16 kids should be out fighting, drinking, sh@gging and smashing things, not sat indoors doing flippin coursework!!!!
Old 06 October 2006, 08:48 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Could see an interesting dip in results across the board!
Old 06 October 2006, 09:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

TBH, what subjects, other than the sciences, and technology, REALLY need coursework? I SUPPOSE you could support a geography field trip or two, but MATHS? Give over

And even the sciences USED to do a practical exam, surely far more important than a piece of coursework you can rewrite?

I seem to remember it was brought in a a sop to those schools doing Mode 3 exams, which were all school based?

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2006, 11:10 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well I think coursework helps those kids who struggle in exams. I did.
When you get to college, a lot of the subjects are coursework orientated anyway. Doing coursework makes you do research into whatever subject your doing. Studying for exams is just copying writing off a blackboard and memorizing it.
The one who does well in exams is the one with the better memory. That doesn't mean that the person with the better memory would be better at doing a job in the future, does it?

Besides, you can easily cheat in exams too. I had little reminder/cheat sheets written in tiny hand writing hidden inside pencil cases, calculators, pockets etc. Not with answers on (As I didn't know what questions would be asked) but little reminders of formula's etc.

In our 4th year at school we had to share a desk with another pupil in exams. You were never allowed to sit with someone in your own class (Always lower class) anyway, after I'd finished my maths exam, I noticed that the lad sat opposite me who just happened to be one of my best mate, was struggling. A quick check around, and we swapped exam papers. He got the best mark he'd ever had.
Old 06 October 2006, 11:13 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheat !!
Old 06 October 2006, 02:44 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Kids don't learn in school anymore they are taught how to pass exams.

Back in my day we had to work in lessons taking pages and pages of notes then work on problems, then at the end of the year take exams all in neat rows in the school hall, gym, scout hut etc

All this had to be done without calculators or anything.

We were not allowed to take anything except a pen into the exam room.

Kids today have it to easy in school and to easy with exams hence why so many go to university.

In my day only intelligent kids went to university after passing umpteen A levels, then having to work in university for 4 years to get a degree, now they bumm it at school pass exams on coursework, go to university do some **** sandwich course for 4 years where they attend lessons 3 hours a week and get a degree at the end based on coursework etc.

Hopefully now things will go back to as they should be where teachers teach, kids learn and then **** themselves as they line up in the cold outside the exam room.

It should also prove to the government the education system sucks, and less bumms will drag their sorry ***** through university bumming off the state, and a degree will actually mean summat again.

Best Regards

Victor Meldrew.
Old 06 October 2006, 03:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Well I think coursework helps those kids who struggle in exams. I did.
When you get to college, a lot of the subjects are coursework orientated anyway. Doing coursework makes you do research into whatever subject your doing. Studying for exams is just copying writing off a blackboard and memorizing it.
The one who does well in exams is the one with the better memory. That doesn't mean that the person with the better memory would be better at doing a job in the future, does it?
In a science based exam, learning parrot fashion is not enough, you have to understand the principals and how to apply them to do well in an exam.

Besides, you can easily cheat in exams too. I had little reminder/cheat sheets written in tiny hand writing hidden inside pencil cases, calculators, pockets etc. Not with answers on (As I didn't know what questions would be asked) but little reminders of formula's etc.
Exactly, you didn't know what the question was before hand. With coursework you get the question and sufficient time to find the answer - possibly a pre-written one off the net, or by bullying somebody else in to doing it for you. I tend to think having a sheet with the formulae on it should be allowed in the exam, knowing which formuale and how to apply it is more important than remembering it verbatim.

In our 4th year at school we had to share a desk with another pupil in exams. You were never allowed to sit with someone in your own class (Always lower class) anyway, after I'd finished my maths exam, I noticed that the lad sat opposite me who just happened to be one of my best mate, was struggling. A quick check around, and we swapped exam papers. He got the best mark he'd ever had.