Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Claiming back bank charges / fees.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 06:32 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claiming back bank charges / fees.....

Heard a few things about this when I was home in the summer, and apparently it is a successful way to get back a portion of what the banks have charged you for late payments, going past overdraft limits, failed Standing Orders etc, over the years. It's worked for a couple of my mates, who actually got back a portion of the fees they paid when they were at University seven or eight years ago!

The government has decided it is / was unfair to be charged so freely, so why not get it back? My biggest hate as a cash scrapped teen was when the charges applied to the account would take you overdrawn again!!!

My mate has put a template letter here....

Claim Back Cash NOW
Old 12 October 2006, 07:02 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Heard a few things about this when I was home in the summer, and apparently it is a successful way to get back a portion of what the banks have charged you for late payments, going past overdraft limits, failed Standing Orders etc, over the years. It's worked for a couple of my mates, who actually got back a portion of the fees they paid when they were at University seven or eight years ago!

The government has decided it is / was unfair to be charged so freely, so why not get it back? My biggest hate as a cash scrapped teen was when the charges applied to the account would take you overdrawn again!!!

My mate has put a template letter here....

Claim Back Cash NOW
My sister's boyfriend has successfully claimed back nearly £3000, have a look Consumer Action Group - fighting unfair bank charges for how to prepare letters, advice on how each banks address your claims etc...
Old 12 October 2006, 08:32 PM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

I used to work for lloyds tsb, and theyre charges were unreal but they got away with it for years.
The banks that are the worst for charges thought are halifax and hsbc, they take them with out warning which you are supposed to have.
I do know at lloyds, depending on how many account you have with them entitles you to have so many charges removed each year or 12 month period so if you are a privilege customer (having more than one product with them) entitles you to have 3 lots of charges removed per 12 month period. If not you are only entitled to 1 per 12 month period

claim as much back as possible as i have seen customers go bankrupt coz of charges its time we hit the banks bloody hard for how they treat people!
Old 13 October 2006, 01:25 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1Nikki
I used to work for lloyds tsb, and theyre charges were unreal but they got away with it for years.
The banks that are the worst for charges thought are halifax and hsbc, they take them with out warning which you are supposed to have.
I do know at lloyds, depending on how many account you have with them entitles you to have so many charges removed each year or 12 month period so if you are a privilege customer (having more than one product with them) entitles you to have 3 lots of charges removed per 12 month period. If not you are only entitled to 1 per 12 month period

claim as much back as possible as i have seen customers go bankrupt coz of charges its time we hit the banks bloody hard for how they treat people!
and I bet they don't offer that service unless you are aware of it!
Old 13 October 2006, 09:43 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

My mate has just claimed back £1000, sent a letter he got from a website, and they send one back with the amount he had been charged over the years (£1600). He then sent a letter back saying they should refund him, they then offered £1000 in full and final settlement.
Old 13 October 2006, 12:35 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I know it is not on the same scale but I successfully got £50 (2x£25) charges back a few weeks ago by sending a letter downloaded off the internet. I also argued in it that it was the banks decision that led to the second charge (The second charge was as a result of them deciding to pay a debit which meant the account went overdrawn). Obviously they said it was a gesture of good will.

It does seem to be working - So far no banks have gone all the way to court as they would have to disclose how much it actually costs them when you go overdrawn. As soon as they do this everyone will claim the money.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:34 PM
shaun1967
Scooby Newbie

Hi, this goes much further than just reclaiming bank charges.

it also covers such things as reclaiming from cancelled contracts for example if a 12 mth mobile contract was cancelled after 6 months, they would charge you the remaing 6 months. well this is also a penalty and can be reclaimed. also early redemption penalties and more.

ConsumerCorner has all the letters ready for you and will write them specifically for you if not. Totally free.

they also cover loads of consumer issues

Last edited by shaun1967; 15 October 2006 at 03:36 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 18 October 2006, 02:29 PM
shaun1967
Scooby Newbie

Hi just thought i would let everyone know that a member has just won over £9,000 today through the small claims track,

this would have normally gone through fast track but we tested the courts and won it through the small claims. They still didnt get to court but the result is in our favour.

you can read about it in the forum at
Bank Charges reclaimed with Consumer Corners free forum
Old 18 October 2006, 04:33 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

How the **** do these people run up charges like that?!!!!
Old 25 October 2006, 01:29 PM
shaun1967
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Nat21
Can you reclaim charges like for when you do a bank transfer to a foreign account and they charge you for the privalege? And when they charge you for issuing bank drafts? Got lots of those!

Or is it just for things like returned cheques,going over o/draft limit, card misuse etc?

nope cant claim them you can claim on cancelled contracts though and mis sold ppi insurance if you go to Bank Charges reclaimed with Consumer Corners free forum you wiil see all there is on it.
Old 05 December 2006, 07:38 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

this thread definitely needed a nudge back up. Got a letter todaay from Alliance and Leicester claiming Id gone overdrawn four times this month so they were charging me £100

But when I looked online the account was in credit all month, phoned em up and they claimed it was an administrative error

How the **** is that allowed to happen

anyway went here Bank Charges - illegal? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

and printed off this http://www3.moneysavingexpert.com/fi...es/letter1.rtf

and feel much better
Old 05 December 2006, 08:32 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

I've been doing this, and received an offer of £780 last saturday. My original claim was for £1369 - so I've rejected their offer and will pursue it until I get the full amount back.

Was tempted by the £780 though!

Old 05 December 2006, 08:40 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

im going through this now with the halifax, today i got my data subject request back.... 6years of statments for transactions and charges...

Last edited by lightwave693; 05 December 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05 December 2006, 09:37 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Excellent! It really gets me how they get away with it, not everyone knows you can do this, yet, and obviously the bank won't be proactive in giving you back what is legally yours!

This recent development probably caused certain banks to start charging for accounts, though!
Old 05 December 2006, 10:25 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I am going through this at the moment with Abbey.

My first letter was to request a full set of statements for my account. They sent me almost 2 years worth but claimed they were unable to supply the rest due to records being stored on microfiche. I sent them another letter stating that the information commissioner has stated that microfiche is a "relevant filing system" 3 days later I get ALL of my statement history in the post. I have now sent of my letter claiming the amount they should owe me.
Thanks to the consumer action group and the letter templates on their site I am better informed regarding the underhanded practices of these banks and my legal position with regards to unfare charges.
Old 05 December 2006, 10:29 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

just copied the letter, and going to send it tomorrow to Barclays and then wait and see what happens
Old 05 December 2006, 10:53 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Excellent! It really gets me how they get away with it, not everyone knows you can do this, yet, and obviously the bank won't be proactive in giving you back what is legally yours!

This recent development probably caused certain banks to start charging for accounts, though!
but not all will and those that do will soon see their customers voting with their feet
Old 05 December 2006, 11:20 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Remember to add interest at 5% to anything you claim back, seriously, bloke at work got an extra couple of hundred by doing that
Old 06 December 2006, 07:46 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1Nikki

Afraid no longer true as from the 1/11/06 if anyone goes a penny o/d ( and i meen 1p ) they are charged, no charges waivered unless you have a platinum a/c or a premier a/c and only if its a bank error and only 1 charge waivered in any 12 month ( disgusting )

£30 o/d excess fee upto a max charge of £90 a day

d/d s/o chq and debits £35 upto £105.00 max in one month
forgot to add all buffers removed from a/c as well.

Last edited by carlos30; 06 December 2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06 December 2006, 10:04 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

I took the Halifax to court and I am getting just over £2000 paid in my account on Friday. Other Half just send a letter to the bank about his charges and he has got over £500 put into his account yesterday and that was in less than a week.

You have nothing to lose.

Oh and in reply to somebody who asked, it is 8% interest but you only apply for that when you file a court claim