Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So what's good in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2006, 10:34 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what's good in the world?

Im a bit tired of seeing all the depressing threads about global warming, death penalties, chavs, the government, murderers, and so on, and thought maybe we could try and identify things in the world and the UK as it is that are positive.

Thing is, the more I watch the news, or read things, the more angry I get, and the more I feel like I should dig a bunker and go to war against every thing there is I dont like.

It does get to me, and I find after digesting the news or negative incidents I read about, I feel even more negative, then I see a chav and I start to moan about the state of the country, chavs, how we should leave etc etc, and im turning into a right old moaner.

I want to try and forget about the worlds problems, and start trying to relax and enjoy myself again, seems Im getting so wrapped up in all the bad, and worrying about what could happen, that im forgetting to see the positives and enjoy myself.

So, what do we have going for us? there must be soemthing, is the world really that much worse than it was say 10 years ago? did people just moan about different things? or are things really that bad???
Old 03 November 2006, 10:36 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beer
Old 03 November 2006, 10:39 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

here here, I dont read much of the news anymore, what I follow is whats on SN now and radio1, cant be bothered with newspapers telling of celebrities dirty secrets etc.

Good things in life are being happy, meeting new people, being a good friend and having good friends, oh and just being happy Nothing else to it really.
Old 03 November 2006, 10:40 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Mmm, beer, that is good.

Ive got one, the emphasis on nature conservation in large projects accross Africa in particular. They're reintroducing rhino and elephants to areas they used to live, and the game reserves are better equiped and better able to protect them. Populations are actually growing.

Agree about the news, recon Ill stop watching the news, or reading about the bad thngs that happen, but id be pretty ignorant I guess? but happily ignorant.
Old 03 November 2006, 10:44 AM
Mad as cheese
Scooby Newbie

The fact that you don't live in a Calcutta slum is good.
Old 03 November 2006, 10:46 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

equipment reliability for diving is getting much better

there are a couple of knives out there that don't rust too
Old 03 November 2006, 10:50 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
So, what do we have going for us?
Free **** on the Internet.

And Beer

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2006, 10:54 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad as cheese
The fact that you don't live in a Calcutta slum is good.
exactly what I mean, I want things we can appreciate, because it seems all you hear now is how bad things are, and ive stopped appreciating what I have, so its good to try and get some perspective on things.

One thing that woke me up to how good I have it, was watching the documentary about the girl who lives in the dark. An amazingly courageous girl who lives in poverty conditions with terrible skin cancer all over her face, but during the whole program, even when she has numerous painful operations, and suffers enormously, you never hear her compain once, pure courage.

When you see someone like that, you actually feel ashamed for complaining, but sometimes you absorb so much negativety thats all you can do.
Old 03 November 2006, 11:03 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

This is good news

Red wine counters effects of high-fat diet, scientists say - Britain - Times Online
Old 03 November 2006, 11:07 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

My daughter.

Thats about it
Old 03 November 2006, 11:54 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Muslims are good, I haven't heard any bad news stories about them recently!
Old 03 November 2006, 12:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Muslims are good, I haven't heard any bad news stories about them recently!
You obviously live in a cave then.

Australian Cleric, female circumcision, Hamza's son, Muslim workers at Paris airport, Raid on American couple in Malaysia, Iranian cartoon competition, Turkish Muslim vows to kill pope etc
Old 03 November 2006, 12:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
You obviously live in a cave then.

Australian Cleric, female circumcision, Hamza's son, Muslim workers at Paris airport, Raid on American couple in Malaysia, Iranian cartoon competition, Turkish Muslim vows to kill pope etc
I think a certain element of sarcasm was implied in post #11 Kiwi
Old 03 November 2006, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose the only way to look at it is that you are still alive and you can look forward to an anarchic society ruled by control freaks who want to know everything that you do in life and all your personal information so that they effectively have total power over you.

Just lately I find myself becoming depressed because I can see nothing to look forward to in this country in the not too distant future. I only ask that I am allowed to live my own law abiding life and do the things that make life worthwhile without being spied on and nannied by a bunch of people who have not the slightes idea how to gain the electorate's respect, so they are setting up a system where they can control us all through fear, as long as you are not a criminal of course.

Democracy has become a bad joke when we have a government which ignores the House and the people and do just what they want for their own convenience and furthering their own careers. They certainly have their noses in the troiugh with the vast pay and tax free expenses increases which they have awarded themselves while keeping the immense parliamentary recess which they enjoy during the summer. How can they accept an 8% increase in salary plus extra expenses and offer the overworked nurses 1.5%? They are even hoping to pass a bill to say that ministers can pass their own laws without parliamentary debate or scrutiny by the Lords in order to "save time"! What kind of an excuse is that for a dictatorship?

I wonder how long it will be before they install two way screens in our homes and dispense with us voting because they feel it is no longer necessary any more!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 03 November 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03 November 2006, 12:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

There we go, didnt take long did it, lets start a thread about cheering people up and discussing the good things in life and someone comes along with a long boring whining post.

Well done Les
Old 03 November 2006, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't face the truth then Dave!

Les
Old 03 November 2006, 12:56 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Broadband. Do you remember dial up?
The fact we live in a free(ish) country and can post anything we want without fear of reprisals (almost).
Cold clear crisp air for the turbo to breathe.
I just guess you are a glass half empty kind of guy
Old 03 November 2006, 12:56 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Free **** on the Internet.

And Beer
Cant argue with that!

PS - ITs Friday, thats good
Old 03 November 2006, 12:57 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

You can have a mortgage 7 x your salary to buy a shed

Local court have done about a 1000 bankruptcies in short time

The red wine thing,you have to drink a hundred bottles a day to get the effect

Sugar,it's too hard to be upbeat.My thumb is worn out
Old 03 November 2006, 01:00 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Go to Cambodia Thailand Laos China Indonesia Vietnam Brasil Africa Argentina Peru Ecuador Venezuela Russia etc and see how people with real problems still manage to smile and be happy then come back to UK and realize how good life here can be.
Old 03 November 2006, 01:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
Can't face the truth then Dave!

Les
Who said anything about the truth? I could go and join plenty of threads slagging off the government etc etc. Fact is life isnt half as bad as some people do want to make out. If you want to be miserable and talk about miserable things go start a miserable thread, thats not what this thread is about.
Old 03 November 2006, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am thinking of the future Dave, and it frightens me. It grieves me to see a once proud country being brought to its knees. I still have vivid memories of what it used to be like when people were largely happy despite a lower standard of living as far as possessions are concerned. What do you think we can look forward to in the comparatively close future?

Les
Old 03 November 2006, 01:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I suppose the only way to look at it is that you are still alive and you can look forward to an anarchic society ruled by control freaks who want to know everything that you do in life and all your personal information so that they effectively have total power over you.

Just lately I find myself becoming depressed because I can see nothing to look forward to in this country in the not too distant future. I only ask that I am allowed to live my own law abiding life and do the things that make life worthwhile without being spied on and nannied by a bunch of people who have not the slightes idea how to gain the electorate's respect, so they are setting up a system where they can control us all through fear, as long as you are not a criminal of course.

Democracy has become a bad joke when we have a government which ignores the House and the people and do just what they want for their own convenience and furthering their own careers. They certainly have their noses in the troiugh with the vast pay and tax free expenses increases which they have awarded themselves while keeping the immense parliamentary recess which they enjoy during the summer. How can they accept an 8% increase in salary plus extra expenses and offer the overworked nurses 1.5%? They are even hoping to pass a bill to say that ministers can pass their own laws without parliamentary debate or scrutiny by the Lords in order to "save time"! What kind of an excuse is that for a dictatorship?

I wonder how long it will be before they install two way screens in our homes and dispense with us voting because they feel it is no longer necessary any more!

Les
Have you tried Free Internet **** ???
Old 03 November 2006, 01:29 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Scoobynet... that's good!

Banter, bickering.... and more often than not.... a full on belly laugh at the world outside........

Oh..... and beer
Old 03 November 2006, 01:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

It frightens you because your too busy thinking of the negatives. If thats what I thought about whilst reading about the worlds positives then Im sure as going to be depressed.

What can I look forward to? I look forward to finding the person who loves me as much as I love them, starting a family, looking after them and bringing them up as respectable people. Going to the local tomorrow with the guys and have a great laugh. Looking forward to the day I say I dont owe another penny on my mortgage, looking forward to travelling more of the world and never knowing what you'll see or who you'll meet.

If your gonna moan about nurses. You have to remember at least we have fully trained nurses, over worked or not you'll recieve treatment. Theres cameras on every corner looking at us, who cares? am I bothered that some saddo is sat behind a monitor watching me walk down the street, Im afraid that if all this worries you and makes you afraid then your life is being wasted. Sorry.
Old 03 November 2006, 01:34 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
I think a certain element of sarcasm was implied in post #11 Kiwi

Well spotted MJW!
Old 03 November 2006, 02:11 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Other things that are good in the world apart from Free Pr0n -

Cheap turbocharged 4wd cars
No current world wars
Low inflation
Low unemployment
Lovely long summers thanks to global warming
House price appreciation
My little boy who is quite bilingual at the age of 2 and a bit (I'm just a little bit proud)
The fact my missus is now carrying our second. MY07 is due in May next year.

~So no complaints from me today, then. Nice weekend all!
Old 03 November 2006, 02:18 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Come on, there are loads of threads about the plight of nurses and all the other negative junk, lets do the positives!!

In our lifetime, we've seen the invention of the internet, something thats changed the path of humanity forever, we've seen pictures of Mars, we've seen cancer become something that isnt a definite death sentence (thou I appreciate there's a long way to go, ive seen my mum survive it this year), we've watched the greatest MotoGP racer of all time (Rossi) and the most successful F1 driver of all time (Schue) competing in their fields.

As much as there are bad people, there will always be good people, who want to achieve, and live well, and care about other people, so all is not yet lost.
Old 03 November 2006, 02:21 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Being able to moan about all the bad things in the world, that's pretty good......
Old 03 November 2006, 02:27 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm good in the world

Quick Reply: So what's good in the world?