Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another Credit card fraud case

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2006, 10:49 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Credit card fraud case

Well after many years of internet purchasing and internet banking i have become another statistic.

Got a phone call from halifax security on Saturday morning asking about certain transaction on my credit card. Someone has used my card number to place 3 bets online. one for £3k, one for £800 and one for £100.

Lucky my bank noticed it. they say i am not liable for these transactions and they have passed the details onto the police. My card has been cut up into about a dozen strips, bagged separately and binned.

I am not so sure about the liability bit and does this affect my credit rating while under a police investigation. can anyone answer these questions?

Not a happy camper
Old 06 November 2006, 11:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You might have won though

Bad luck - am currently going through this. I have learnt that Police don't really want to know and bank seem to do most of the investigation - not that they tell you what they are actually doing of course. I reckon they got my card number from an Internet company phone purchase which happened just a week or so before fraud started. I am hoping to get money (£1500) back but hadn't even thought about credit rating. dl

PS. I have never had an Internet bet. I always assumed that if I did and I won something then my card would be credited with winnings. Obviously this can't be the case if you use someone else's card so what happens??
Old 06 November 2006, 12:00 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
PS. I have never had an Internet bet. I always assumed that if I did and I won something then my card would be credited with winnings. Obviously this can't be the case if you use someone else's card so what happens??
Normally its deposited into your account with the betting company then you can transfer it to whichever external accounts you have in your profile.

Simon
Old 06 November 2006, 12:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK thanks. You learn something everyday
Old 06 November 2006, 12:54 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

yes, I got done a couple of weeks ago on a tesco card, they made a couple of test purchases off itunes and then went for a k or two of computer bits. This then got caught.

Funnily enough, I spotted the itunes and new I'd been done, before I noticed the answer phone messages from the said computer company followed by tesco.
What's interesting in all this is:
a) my tesco card has NEVER been used online
b) my tesco card has only ever been used in tesco stores or petrol stations
c) all my other online cards/accounts are unaffected (ie not likely to be my computer at fault)

And yet they still won't admit to the chance (a lot more than a chance IMHO) that it's their fault and that they are responsible for my details being fully available to all manner of scum.

These scumbags had my name, address, telephone number, card CVV numbers, the lot... sounds like a dodgy call centre to me, but will they discuss it? NO - couldn't possibly be their fault

When I asked them if I should worry about my credit rating they said I should do a credit check - at MY expense.... NOT HAPPY
Old 06 November 2006, 03:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

To be honest, the Credit Cards / Banks don't really help themselves as my wife's card got 'accidently' used to purchase £500 of computer equipment. I phoned the company for the computer equipment, and the name used was not my wife, and the address is completely different, yet the purchase had received authorisation from the credit card company.

Surely that is the basic of checks that could be done?

Steve
Old 06 November 2006, 05:55 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

mine had all the checks done, the only give-away was the scumbags wanted to use an alternate address and it was "my" first transaction with the company. BTW the only reason I even know this much is because the computer outfit were more forthcoming than my credit card company who're obviously only concerned about covering their **** and not admitting liabilty of any description.

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2006, 06:13 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mpr
they made a couple of test purchases off itunes and then went for a k or two of computer bits. This then got caught.

That must be a typical way of card fraud because Barclaycard fraud dept had my card cancelled and a message left at work for me before I even knew I'd been done over.

Had a new card within days and all money refunded and all I had to do was sign a form stating that the purchases were nothing to do with me,no mention of police to me or my credit rating.

Must say the whole process was sorted with very little fuss,thankfully.
Old 06 November 2006, 07:09 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

well this isnt an urban myth ths actually happened to my sister.

her mate ,was behind a nigerian at the post office in baguley,
just by chance she overheard him using her address to open an account she rang the police and he got caught. he was an overstayer on a visa and was staying in london ver 200 miles away
Old 06 November 2006, 07:56 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i got done back in january by some thieving scum getting my details from somewhere.

strangely enough it was a tesco card that they tried to purchase £1600 of computer stuff with.

thankfully the police got the person responsible and did them for a number of other related card offences too. so had a bit of a result there.
Old 06 November 2006, 09:47 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

it does make you wonder what the police do... How hard would it be to catch the tools trying to use my card? Dress up plod in a Citylink uniform and "deliver" the goods they've ordered and when they turn up to collect - nick them... hardly rocket science is it?
Old 06 November 2006, 10:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mpr
it does make you wonder what the police do... How hard would it be to catch the tools trying to use my card? Dress up plod in a Citylink uniform and "deliver" the goods they've ordered and when they turn up to collect - nick them... hardly rocket science is it?
I tracked down the name of the student who had used my card to pay for his college fees. Police weren't interested. They wouldn't even give me a phone number so I could update them.........
Old 06 November 2006, 10:41 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it dell by chance?

happened to me, 3k worth of gear in 2 orders. dell stopped the 2nd shipment before it was dispatched.

still took a month to get the cash back (this was via a switch card) but it didn't cost me anything cash wise. just had to sign a statement in the bank declaring that it wasn;t me who made the purchases.

(p.s. it was an employee at an indian restaurant that we had used regularly had been responsible (never saw the guy again))
Old 07 November 2006, 12:07 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Seeing a pattern here.........

Mine was a tesco card aswell. It was used to buy white goods and some flights in spain! Don't know how but they did get caught.

Tesco did ring me and ask if i had tried to buy the stuff. I said no and they sorted everything else out for me.
Old 07 November 2006, 12:14 AM
sociopath
BANNED

Originally Posted by bigsinky
My card has been cut up into about a dozen strips, bagged separately and binned.
Yeah, that should do it!
Old 07 November 2006, 12:40 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Seems to be a lot of this about.

Noticed a purchase of O2 credit on my Morgan Stanley statement and that wasn't me so I notified them and they said it could have been an inputting mistake, but don't you have to give your postcode digits and other things when paying for PAYG credit by phone? Anyway thought that was that and they sent me the form to say it wasn't me. About a month later they phone me due to unusual spending, this time for Vodafone and Paycom (which they said is a Paypal equivalent, £50 and a few multiples of a few quid respectively. Hardly extravagent by the fraudster but maybe just testing the account I guess, but why do this multiple times?

Anyway card now cancelled and a new (boring plain black instead of Welsh dragon! ) one issued. To their credit Morgan Stanley have been very on the ball sorting it out but I hadn't even considered my credit rating 'til now; I also wonder if the fraudsters have even been chased at all.
Old 07 November 2006, 07:03 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Girl that works for me got a new Abbey card and even before she'd had it it had been used fraudulently so it indicates the possibility of an inside job.

I had my card used in a PC World store in Hull. Ironically I now work for the group ! However they could not prove I was there, they had no cc tv footage so they were forced to give me a full refund.

Shred every little bit of info you have an do it all at home never chuck recpiets away at work as I'm sure our cleaners have cleaned more than just the offices if you know what i mean.

Very dodgy.

AllanB
Old 07 November 2006, 07:12 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Happened to my wife, but HSBC picked it up almost instantly, they told us. New card issued. How many call centres are passing details on? Did any one see the TV prog about call centres in India selling data on for a fiver?

Might be worth using the old cash or cheques.
Old 07 November 2006, 08:58 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nat21
My new card got intercepted by east europeans working at N'pton post office.
yeah but all eastern europeans are real hard workers!!!
Old 08 November 2006, 08:10 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

does anyone know the credit rating postion while under investigation?
Old 08 November 2006, 09:38 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of experiences. Company Barclaycard was used for spending that had nothing to do with me. My pattern of spending on the card is pretty much hotel rooms and evening meals. Barclaycard didn't pick up a £200+ purchase of womens' clothes as being unusual on a company Barclaycard (It would be bloody unusual on my own credit card. Honest! )

To their credit, Halifax picked up an unusual transaction on my personal card and called me about it. Douglas is my middle name, but I use it as a first name. The Halifax application form doesn't cater for this, so to them I am Mr J B. When I ordered a central heating boiler using their card and the delivery name was Douglas B but the card was in the name of J B, they phoned me on the mobile to check that it was actually me that had placed the order.

PS - A few of our company Barclaycards were done for similar things around the same time. We have one fewer employee than we did when the purchases were made. The police were involved