Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Replace Trident?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2006, 09:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replace Trident?

I'm very interested in what you lot think ......

To help ....

BBC NEWS | Politics | Trident vote due 'early in 2007'

Last edited by pslewis; 23 November 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 23 November 2006, 09:30 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new UK developed system IMO. Would create a lot of skills jobs, and I believe this sort of deterrant is still required, although no doubt some flower huggers will come along and argue the money would be better spent elsewhere.

There is still a threat to the UK - its not been reported very much but Russia has increased its military spending 25% in the last year, and it has very close ties with Iran and Syria (inc now 2 naval bases in Syria), so this sort of thing is still needed (unfortunately)
Old 23 November 2006, 09:32 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

how about the option of just keep what weve got and invest the 25 billion in something worthwhile...?!?
Old 23 November 2006, 09:35 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by brihoppy
how about the option of just keep what weve got and invest the 25 billion in something worthwhile...?!?

Invading Iran perhaps?
Old 23 November 2006, 09:37 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

how about the option - not bothered either way/are you bored Pete?
Old 23 November 2006, 09:37 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Invading Iran perhaps?
wasnt my first thought...but im sure we can all think of better ways to spend 25 billion rather than just for a few favours and jobs for the boys...
Old 23 November 2006, 09:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

What we have has a life - just keeping what we have is no option at all .... think of an item you own, a TV? It has a life - same for weapons.

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2006, 09:43 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

If we need a new system we shouldn't waste the old missiles. Syria, Iran, Iraq, North korea, Yemen and some other 'choice' countries should feel our wrath... oh and my old neighbour
Old 23 November 2006, 09:49 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
What we have has a life - just keeping what we have is no option at all .... think of an item you own, a TV? It has a life - same for weapons.
pete, are you seriously telling me that it wont last a few more years...?!

and is there really a need anymore for a strategic nuclear deterrant with the proliferation of tactical nukes and a million different delivery systems...???

Old 23 November 2006, 09:56 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
If we need a new system we shouldn't waste the old missiles. Syria, Iran, Iraq, North korea, Yemen and some other 'choice' countries should feel our wrath... oh and my old neighbour

Milton Keynes.
Old 23 November 2006, 09:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

pete, are you seriously telling me that it wont last a few more years...?!
We cannot underwrite it beyond 2024 .... and it's going to take 15 years to develop and test and build another.
Old 23 November 2006, 10:19 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've voted for buying a foreign system. Purely because of looking at the things like the Dome, Wembly etc, as a UK industry concern, so much money would be p1ssed up the wall.

Whilst we have some the best engineers and designers in the world, we have some of the sh1ttest workforce ethics in the world. I sometimes think that the UK workforce actually thinks the world owes it a living......

On this basis, give it to a foreign concern to bring in.

Dan
Old 23 November 2006, 10:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

and to be brutally honest Pete, you couldn't give a t0ss what we think (you never have before) - but regardless of the potential "wind-up", there is also a genuine basis for this post, so a "thumbs up" from me

Dan (compliments and insults all in one post )
Old 23 November 2006, 10:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I am interested ...... this is my line of work after all - I would love to be laid off with a big fat golden handshake.

But, it looks like we will be put to work designing and engineering a new one - and - yes - to the poster above ... we have the best Designers and Engineers in the world. It's the project managers which mess the whole lot up (they want it yesterday, finance want it for $5:99 and together they ensure it is 5 years late and costs £££££££'s more than it should!)

We need to let the Scientists and Engineers design and develop it - taking care and time to do it right ..... it will be pretty much on time, documented properly and cost just a small amount over budget!
Old 23 November 2006, 11:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

As long as we invest in "our" country carrying out the work then i for one am totally behind it.
**** this sub-con'ing out to foreign countrys, all we are doing is help to stabilise there economys & **** up ours.
Old 24 November 2006, 01:28 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Pete's right (my god, this is starting to worry me), we cannot retain the existing system indefinitely, therefore it the only choice is what to replace it with? IMO which ever government decides to go ahead with it, it will be an American system they commit to buy with all the associated unrecoverable overspend that will entail

Just look at the amount of money we've commited to p!ssing away on the abortion that will be the new V/STOL Joint Strike Fighter, rather than using it to fund development of the BAe Harrier
Old 24 November 2006, 01:35 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

We need to let the Scientists and Engineers design and develop it - taking care and time to do it right ..... it will be pretty much on time, documented properly and cost just a small amount over budget!
It's not just in this area either. It's no coincidence that the world started turning to **** at about the same time as accountants & salesmen started to assume control of boardrooms

It used to be that the designers would come up with the concept, the engineers would thoroughly design it, the accountants would then work out what to sell it for, and the salesmen would sell it.

Now the salesman comes up with the idea, the accountant says how much it should cost to make, then the designers and engineers get stuck with the task of building a Rolls Royce for Mini money and get the blame when it goes over budget
Old 24 November 2006, 06:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Lets do it ....................
Old 24 November 2006, 07:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

With most major UK projects costing two to five times the original budget (Eurotunnel, Wembley, Olympics, Dome - I mean £750m for a big tent!!) then be prepared for a tax hike and PSL getting a new car
Old 24 November 2006, 07:34 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I am interested ...... this is my line of work after all - I would love to be laid off with a big fat golden handshake.

But, it looks like we will be put to work designing and engineering a new one - and - yes - to the poster above ... we have the best Designers and Engineers in the world. It's the project managers which mess the whole lot up (they want it yesterday, finance want it for $5:99 and together they ensure it is 5 years late and costs £££££££'s more than it should!)

I assume being nearly Tadley or wherever you live you work at AWE? I thought they were already developing new systems hence the major recruitment?

Simon
Old 24 November 2006, 08:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I assume being nearly Tadley or wherever you live you work at AWE? I thought they were already developing new systems hence the major recruitment?

Simon
We are simply maintaining capability - the ability to design and build if the government of the day wished to go that way.

And we cannot recruit permanent staff .... we have been swamped with contractors who are getting paid massive amounts, but can be easily disposed of if the decision is not to replace with a new design.

If the vote is to design a new one it will be all hands to the pumps for 15 years ... I was there when Trident hit the drawing boards - it was fantastic, mad and manic, but brilliant ...................... bring it on!
Old 24 November 2006, 08:19 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
then be prepared for a tax hike and PSL getting a new car
A new car would be quite welcome ..... thank you taxpayers
Old 24 November 2006, 09:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Bet the guys at e-bay are licking their lips that we might be scrapping the old system

1) Avoid any thought of being part of a European anti-deterrant. Imagine 25 people agreeing to press the button at the same time.

2) Build a dozen or so new ones and keep the cost down (park them at strategic places around the world). Never understood why we need so many when just one would wipe out most countries?

3) Be nice to USA, as much as that hurts.

dl
Old 24 November 2006, 09:27 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

And we cannot recruit permanent staff .... we have been swamped with contractors who are getting paid massive amounts, but can be easily disposed of if the decision is not to replace with a new design.
Yes, I've seen the adverts for AWE in Electronics Weekly and the IET's various publications. No wonder you can't get any permenant staff, the salaries quoted are **** poor. Think I'll stick with satellite communications for the time being, technically challenging and pays very well thanks

Thought you were 78 or whatever you are claiming this week. Surely you should have retired years ago? And with your fortune that you've supposedly amassed over the years (not sure how on AWE wages?) you shouldn't need a golden handshake?
Old 24 November 2006, 09:31 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Is it not feasible to replace like with like, i.e. old trident systems with new trident systems?

I know that sounds very much like buying a new system but what I mean is a akin to running out of petrol and going to the garage and buying more petrol. the petrol hasn't changed as such, it's the same thing, you are just replacing what you had.

With regards the question, 5 years ago I would have said yes without a doubt. Nowadays, I really don't know. The political landscape has changed a great deal, so for what reason would we need nukes other than to give people like Pete gainful employment?
Old 24 November 2006, 09:31 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Build a new sytem and use the current missiles to sort out the problems in Iraq and afghanastan Oh and send a couple Chinas way as well just for the hell of it
Old 24 November 2006, 09:32 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

A UK buolt deterrent is not an option, the cost would be prohibitive - and any UK built system would have to integrate with the US anyway.

I can;t ebelive its even goign to a vote - If the PM wasnlt in such a weak position, it wouldn;t even be an issue. Of course we need to keep it up to date and of course we need it. Not so much for MAD purposes these days (although it is well known the Argentinans were ****ting it that Thatcher would use Nukes if they pushed it too far), but due to the influence it gives us on the world stage. Do you think we would be on the permanent security council were we not a nuclear power?

A UK built system would take years. The dev and build cost would be far beyond 25 billion and of course maintianing it. We are buying the complete package, weapons, support, delivery systems, maintenance. It's the cheapest option by miles, and of course crapping the nuclear deterrent is not an option at all.
Old 24 November 2006, 09:42 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

We should build the system ourselves and keep Pete working till he's 90 !

I think you have to offset the increased costs of a homegrown product against the benefits to the economy, namely, the workers wages, they buy more goods etc.

Having said that, the reality is that we'll probably take route one and buy a US system.

Pleased to see that there are so few wishy washy liberal CND **** on here !

Andy Mc
Old 24 November 2006, 09:44 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

PS, I know a chap in Tehran that would give us a good deal on Trident !
Old 24 November 2006, 09:57 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest what level of contractor/employee do you need to be to have an excemption from the official secrets act Pete?

My tuppence worth would be that as we are never going to use them or ever be inspected by anyone why dont we just tell every ****** that we have the newest latest system already and spend the savings on hospitals,schools, tax cuts, and free Aston Martin DB9 GT's for all fat 40 year old Scots with the username W/shop

Quick Reply: Replace Trident?