Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice needed from Mangers/HR

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 10:06 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice needed from Mangers/HR

Right ok, so I started working for an ISP in September.. Didnt feel fully fit but got on with it as you do.

Earlier this month I woke up in the middle of the night with Stomach pain and after several trips to the loo... ( very watery painful trips ) I decided I wasn't too good.

After speaking to my HR dept I decided to take two days off to recover. Ok back to normal, still feeling a bit rough but I could cope. It happen again on Tuesday this week. First time I thought Bug, something like that, this time I went to doctors. He sent me for test today (blood) and I'll get results Monday / Tuesday.

Right, now the issue, because I'm new I get two chances to be off without anything happening and this is classed as my second.

Spoke to HR and of course they were all understanding, take as long as you like and all that. Also I have a doctors note now!

So my question, do I try to go to work tomorrow and put up with the possibility of pain and ****s? or do I take the time off to find out if there is something wrong with me?

See I want to progress within this job and hate letting them down by being off! Also I dont feel quite as bad as I did, BUT it could come back like it did before and that would be a 3rd time off.... extended probation. Also I have the sick note?

What do I do? from a managers point of view, pretending I work for you.

I answer phones by the way so ****ting in work isnt really an option.
Old 15 December 2006, 10:09 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally i would just bag you.

You are no use & there are people out there that are prepared to work.

Old 15 December 2006, 10:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

People get ill and they don't get better if you force them into work. That's my view as a manager.
Old 15 December 2006, 10:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Personally i would just bag you.

You are no use & there are people out there that are prepared to work.

as sweet as that is ... they have paid out about 3k in training for me!

and that doesnt really answer my question
Old 15 December 2006, 10:21 PM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, Id go to work if your well enough, Explain to your superior about you not being 100% and that your awaiting blood test results, Better to go in and try do your job, than take time off from the start.

Hope you get better soon
Old 15 December 2006, 10:32 PM
flakey
Scooby Regular

If you have sick note, you should stay off work, also your company should not allow you to work when signed off.
And if you feel unwell i would take the time off till your better, rather than rush back and risk having another period of absence.
I suppose it depends on your company policies with regards to sickness and absence.
Old 16 December 2006, 01:45 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

take the time off. Save yourself from possible embarssment

Trending Topics

Old 16 December 2006, 02:07 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Away in a manger no crib for a bed. Then along came dj westwood and what was he said?
iggy wiggy jiggy ah ah ah ah ah yeah yeah uhm uhm yeah yeah....

Wise words take heed...

Last edited by Abdabz; 16 December 2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Guess what? Abdabz was a little tipsy when writing this... Oooops!
Old 16 December 2006, 06:20 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I answer phones by the way so ****ting in work isnt really an option
Extension lead into the bogs, sorted
Old 16 December 2006, 08:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in a similar situation to you, I would strongly suggest going to work if you can, let them see that your not well, and wait for someone to suggest you go home.

NTL have a repuation for getting rid of people, which you will no doubt already know having worked there for more than a week. they have a policy which will cover them for the expense costed to train you, so dont risk it if you value your job.

j
Old 16 December 2006, 10:14 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Now for the real thoughts of a manager.
"Awww - poor soul, must be difficult and embarrassing having that, hope he gets better. On the other hand the skiving git has left me short handed and having to get some cover in. Wonder how often he's going to pull this stroke. Oh well, better start looking for a replacement."

Sad but true. I speak from experience
Old 16 December 2006, 12:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

At the moment it isn't an issue with them but you will undoubtedly be being watched. You have had no disciplinary meetings but be aware they need naff all excuse with under a year's employment. They also might chose not to pay you for those days not unsurprisingly.

From a Manager's perspective, make sure you keep in contact. Worst thing to do is to pull a 3 day sickie and only advise "ill today" on the first day and not the rest - or worse still if nothing the first day then something the next etc. You know what I mean. Doctors note as well - forget the self-cert rubbish.

If you can do that, there is a chance your manager may give you the benefit of the doubt but be aware your card will be marked and if your general time-keeping is poor, might be enough to make them want to replace you.
Old 16 December 2006, 12:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Been in touch every single day I've been off. Called again today explained my concerns and even said to the women, I know the company reply is yes your ok, just get better but where do I actually stand.

She said many people take the ****, she said its on your notes that everyday you've called up you've made a point of asking advice and keeping us up todate!

She said its better to stay off in one go than come back and go again. She also said she will get a HR manager to call me (again) on Monday to put my mind at rest.

I have made a point of telling them how I hate being off and letting them down, I also have the backing of my line manager who has pointed out I have been ill in work for a number of weeks but stay there to do the job!

I've got a horrible feeling there not gonna be able to fix me and that its gonna be something I have to live with!

Thats life I guess
Old 16 December 2006, 01:37 PM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

You cant do anymore than you are doing, as regards to your job...!

My advice as it sounds that you have enough on your mind, Is to keeo them informed, And Try (i know not easy) but forget about your job at the moment..! The stress this is creating, wont aid your recovery..!

Hope you get right soon
Old 16 December 2006, 02:20 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It certainly looks impressive if you come back into work when you're not fully fit. Speaking as a people manager for 3 years before moving into project management. I now have no direct line management as I manage satellite teams but when I had direct reports I preferred to see the drive to come in when not fully fit.
One problem in many companies is that things get complicated when you have multiple instances of sickness and/or a certain number of days per year.
In the company where I managed we had a policy where, with the individuals consent we could write to your GP and request a report on a illness that was causing ongoing issues. This would then open up a formal dialogue between the individual, HR and me to discuss any changes to working arrangements that we could make to help, eg home working, potty by chair, shorter hours, DSE tests etc... It would also take you out of the normal sickness policy where after x days/instances you would normally receive warnings etc... GP's will confirm this is not an unusual practice and is proactive on the part of the business to help an individual with a recurring problem.
In your instance, I would ensure an accurate diagnosis with your GP, keep an open dialogue with your line manager and HR and get in to work whenever you are able even when not fully fit...
Old 16 December 2006, 02:23 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
It certainly looks impressive if you come back into work when you're not fully fit. Speaking as a people manager for 3 years before moving into project management. I now have no direct line management as I manage satellite teams but when I had direct reports I preferred to see the drive to come in when not fully fit.
One problem in many companies is that things get complicated when you have multiple instances of sickness and/or a certain number of days per year.
In the company where I managed we had a policy where, with the individuals consent we could write to your GP and request a report on a illness that was causing ongoing issues. This would then open up a formal dialogue between the individual, HR and me to discuss any changes to working arrangements that we could make to help, eg home working, potty by chair, shorter hours, DSE tests etc... It would also take you out of the normal sickness policy where after x days/instances you would normally receive warnings etc... GP's will confirm this is not an unusual practice and is proactive on the part of the business to help an individual with a recurring problem.
In your instance, I would ensure an accurate diagnosis with your GP, keep an open dialogue with your line manager and HR and get in to work whenever you are able even when not fully fit...

Sounds good, probably worth getting the results and maybe even a diagnosis first ?
Old 16 December 2006, 02:32 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Certainly, the business will be able to help more (if theyre a caring company) once there is a diagnosis of some sort.
It's difficult when youre new to a company and take time off with an undiagnosed illness as you have no track record to support the fact that its an unusual thing.
I hope you improve pimmo and that it sorts itself out quickly. Keep us informed.
Abdabz