Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which graduate school should I go to?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 09:49 PM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which graduate school should I go to?

Greetings from across the pond! I'm an American student who has been accepted by three graduate schools in England (woot!), and I was wondering if I could get a Briton's opinion on which one is best. Here's what I've gotten into:

Royal Holloway
MSc Information Security

City University
MSc Business Systems Analysis and Design

Lancaster University
MSc Information Technology, Management, and Organisational Change

Now, I like City University because it's in London. And honestly, that's just awesome. However, I really like the program at Royal Holloway and according to what I've read, it's a top-notch school. It's outside of London which isn't so bad, but still not preferable. Lancaster has a brilliant program as well, but I really really don't want to be out in the boonies.

Now, I really know nothing about England other than London, which I've visited. I watch Top Gear and Fifth Gear and pick up what I can, but I don't know the country like you guys do. So what do I need to know to make a decision?

-Matt
Old 23 December 2006, 10:38 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Lancaster is about 250 miles north of London about 20 miles south of the Lake district. The Universtiy is actually situated a few miles outside of Lancaster itself and has it's own student village atmosphere. It really depends on what you want from your time at University. Lancaster will give you a more relaxed atmosphere and better access to the english countryside, it will also be alot cheaper for both accomodation and day to day living. London obviously has the 24 hour lifestyle.

Not sure about Holloway so can't help there.

Hipe the above helps, if I have just repeated your own research then I apologise

Kev
Old 23 December 2006, 10:46 PM
wrcturbo
Scooby Regular

Go to what ever one daddy will pay for!?
Old 23 December 2006, 11:50 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

It'll be fairly easy to get into and out of London if you go to Royal Holloway, only downside would be (I imagine) almost as high rental on property as if you went to study in London.

I work at the London Business School and the rent people charge the students for places right in the centre of town (around Regent's Park) is astronomical. Still, it's a top Business school and if you're gonna walk into a top job I guess you can afford it!

I studied at Oxford and found that the drive into and out of London wasn't too bad if you had to do it - an hour or so on the M40 would take you right into the West End (if luck and the traffic were with you!) - but if you're feeling that commuting is doable remember our gas (and car!) prices!!

Best of luck with the choice and the course.
Old 24 December 2006, 12:04 AM
Franx2
Scooby Regular

Location: Known as 'Franx' before my password stopped working....
Smile

Lancaster university is slightly outside the town, as someone said, and is basically a student village built roughly in the 60s or 70s by the looks of it. I applied to Lancaster successfully, but wasn't keen on the place. Town of Lancaster is very nice tbh, but not that student village - just didn't appeal to me, and I went to Aberdeen instead. I preferred to live in a place with a bit more history, rather than a purpose built village like that one. Many people like it though - just depends who you speak to

Having said that, the countryside around Lancaster is spot on, but it depends what you're into. I'm not a big fan of London, so can't advise on there, and I've no idea about Holloway either....

Welcome to the UK btw It has it's good points...erm maybe
Old 24 December 2006, 12:18 AM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrcturbo
Go to what ever one daddy will pay for!?
Unforunately my Subie is paying for it.
Old 24 December 2006, 10:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I've visited Royal Holloway (not as a student) and it's certainly an impressive campus - super old buildings etc (probably cold and drafty!). You will have seen the website I'm sure so you know where it is roughly in relation to London. The location is in a very upmarket area of the UK so I would guess that accommodation off campus would be expensive + you would probably need a car to get around. UK public bus transport is a joke - trains are slightly better but expensive and overcrowded. Good location for SE England. London 30/40 mins. The South Coast 60 mins and Wales say 3 hours. Quite a few high tech businesses in that area if you need industry connections.

I was offered a place at City (long time ago!) and fine if you want to be with the London action but accommodation will be expensive.

Can't comment on Lancaster except it will give you access to some pretty impressive parts of the countryside.

Good luck. dl
Old 24 December 2006, 11:23 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Matt

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into IT security, then the Royal Holloway MSc in IS is very well thought of (it is probably THE course to do). I work for an IT security consultancy and most of the younger guys in my technical team (penetration testers etc) have been through the Royal Holloway course - it really is that good.

PM me and I can probably put you in contact with a couple of Holloway grads who can talk about the course. Don't know much about Lancaster, buy City University also has a very good reputation.

Chris
Old 24 December 2006, 06:58 PM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Lots of good information here! Thank you so much, guys!

Sounds like Royal Holloway is a respected institution... and a beautiful one. Their prospectus made it out to be nice, but so does every other prospectus so I'm hesitant to rely on those.

I was already leaning towards Royal Holloway, but I feel much better about it now.

David - It looks like there are a few new constructions at Royal Holloway. There are a few new postgraduate dorms and they're building brand new ones to be used for the 2012 olympic games, so I'm looking at some of those. How difficult is it to get around the area? I'm assuming the train station (among most other things) is in Egham, how far of a trek is that from campus? I definitely won't be able to afford a car while I'm there, so I'm going to have to rely on public transportation... or befriend someone else with a car.

Chris - This is definitely what I want to do. I'm not so crazy about Systems Analysis and Design. I'm definitely good at it, but it's not my cup of tea. I'll PM you about getting in touch with some RHUL alumni.

tallsteve - I'd LOVE to get into London Business School, but I just can't afford that one! Maybe after I graduate I can get someone to pay for my MBA there.
Old 24 December 2006, 07:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Cobreth, Sorry I can't give you much more accurate stuff on Holloway but I am sure the sort of info you require will be on their website. e.g. distance to Egham Station - there may even be a student bus that does a subsidised trip there and back. Egham is in Londom commuter territory so London trains will be OK if you want to go there. We even have pedal bikes over here for impoverished students to wobble between the local pubs

Or just e-mail Holloway with any questions - they speak fluent American, better that your nice Mr Bush even
Old 24 December 2006, 08:15 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

Or just e-mail Holloway with any questions - they speak fluent American, better that your nice Mr Bush even
Old 24 December 2006, 10:35 PM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Hah, I didn't vote for him!

But yeah, I can e-mail RH or visit their website. But institutions have a way of sugar coating things.

-Matt
Old 28 January 2007, 05:42 AM
Cobreth
Scooby Regular

An update if anyone is curious, I got into the London School of Economics for their ADMIS program. Decision made!

-Matt
Old 28 January 2007, 10:10 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I was going to say I work with some of the best IT security people in the business and Royal Holloway is regarded as THE institution in the UK for that area.
Old 29 January 2007, 08:19 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

I would say that City University is much more respected than Holloway.
Old 29 January 2007, 09:01 AM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Royal Holloway.

Can't give advice from the student angle I didn't go there however I did live in Egham for 5 years.

Royal Holloway is about 1mile up a big hill from egham town centre. Egham in itself is very nice and affluent in nature with lots of pubs, bars and places to eat. rent in the town is normal for a south east commuter town. london waterloo is about 40 mins on the train and it's 4 to 6 trains per hour too.

egham has a big (ish) student population so there will always be stuff to do. Staines (the next big town up) is a short bus ride away. very nice shopping centre and cinema etc. Windsor just up the road.

when we lived in egham we (as in the wife and I) said it has most of the benefits of london living but in the surrey countryside.

hope that helps?
Old 29 January 2007, 09:21 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'm not convinced as to the benefits of recent posts above as the guy is going to LSE??

See post #13
Old 29 January 2007, 09:35 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marky1
I would say that City University is much more respected than Holloway.
You must be joking, RH is respected the world over, probably the leading university in crytography.
Old 29 January 2007, 10:11 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
Staines (the next big town up) is a short bus ride away. very nice shopping centre and cinema etc.
Yup, watch Ali G- The Movie to get an idea of the surroundings