Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cracking good read - Vulcan 607

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2006, 12:08 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking good read - Vulcan 607

Waterstones.com: History and Transport: Vulcan 607 by Rowland White (2006)

Got this book over Christmas. Great book and can't put it down. All about the Vulcan bombing raid that that British undertook during the Falklands war. If you hanker after a reminder of what sheer British determination is all about then you would do worse than buy this.

Anyone else get this for Christmas?

For those on Scoobynet that don't read - then this may still help with your grammar
Old 30 December 2006, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I got it too, it is a good read as well.

It was one of my favourite Vulcans, I used to fly it in many of my air displays. It handled particularly well. It made me very sorry to see it corroding away in the middle of RAF Waddington airfield.

Les
Old 30 December 2006, 03:54 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Yep, finished reading it yesterday afternoon.

One of the best factual reads I've had the pleasure to read in a very long time.

It is a great story as well, how it was all put together. For example, trying not to put a spoiler here, is that I didn't know the Vulcans didn't do AAR before this happened.

And the usual, British grit comes through, even with all the screw ups, U/S kit etc.

Throughly recommended.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 December 2006, 08:05 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Got it when it first came out - top book!

I live in Waddington (the village near the airbase). My old man's old Royal Engineer unit used to share a hanger with the last flying Vulcan back in the day. Nothing like it in my opinion.
Sad to see XM607 plonked beside the A15 at the back of the airfield.
Old 30 December 2006, 08:21 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I got it over summer too.
But thats not the most important thing here.
Thats 4 little letters.
SIAL
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ght=vulcan+607
Sorry couldnt resist
astraboy.
Old 31 December 2006, 01:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure what you are getting at astraboy. I get the impression that there is a bit of poetic licence in that bit about Martin Withers arrival at Nellis AFB. He could have cancelled his IFR flight plan and descended to lower levels to continue VFR. I have done that a few times in the States myself. You are however under radar surveillance at high level and I would be surprised if he could have descended below 20K feet in that area if it is in fact restricted in such a way without a strong warning from the local ARTCC. I have actually watched the tourist flights through the Canyon so I know they are permitted and the Park Wardens raised no objections to me doing it at the time. If I see Martin I will ask him about it he may well be on the Vulcan if it flies down Pall Mall to celebrate the 25 anniversary of the Falklands campaign. He will have been on the third Red Flag done by the Vulcans, I did the first two of them and was the first person to fly low level at night using the terrain following radar in preparation for the exercise. I was then responsible for training other pilots in using it at night. The Red Flag low level attack exercises were done at night apart from the first familiarisation flight in the Nellis ranges which was done in daylight so that you could see the mountains etc. and be warned!

The Grand Canyon was in fact a long way from the areas of the Nevada Desert which were used in Red Flag exercises and Nellis AFB of course and would not have been necessary to consider during flight planning.

Les
Old 31 December 2006, 01:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leslie
Not quite sure what you are getting at astraboy. I get the impression that there is a bit of poetic licence in that bit about Martin Withers arrival at Nellis AFB. He could have cancelled his IFR flight plan and descended to lower levels to continue VFR. I have done that a few times in the States myself. You are however under radar surveillance at high level and I would be surprised if he could have descended below 20K feet in that area if it is in fact restricted in such a way without a strong warning from the local ARTCC. I have actually watched the tourist flights through the Canyon so I know they are permitted and the Park Wardens raised no objections to me doing it at the time. If I see Martin I will ask him about it he may well be on the Vulcan if it flies down Pall Mall to celebrate the 25 anniversary of the Falklands campaign. He will have been on the third Red Flag done by the Vulcans, I did the first two of them and was the first person to fly low level at night using the terrain following radar in preparation for the exercise. I was then responsible for training other pilots in using it at night. The Red Flag low level attack exercises were done at night apart from the first familiarisation flight in the Nellis ranges which was done in daylight so that you could see the mountains etc. and be warned!

The Grand Canyon was in fact a long way from the areas of the Nevada Desert which were used in Red Flag exercises and Nellis AFB of course and would not have been necessary to consider during flight planning.

Les
Hi Les and Happy Christmas,
been reading your comments on this and other aircraft related threads, i feel that there is a ' book in you' without doubt, one which I for one would read
Old 31 December 2006, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul, but it would take so long to correct the typos!

Les
Old 31 December 2006, 03:57 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

If I see Martin I will ask him
When you do tell him this ->
Cheers and happy new year,
astraboy.
Old 31 December 2006, 04:43 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

I got a £25 voucher for WH Smiths at crimbo , and this book sounds right up my street ,cheers for the heads up. As a by the way , XM 597 is at the Museum of Flight at East Fortune just East of Edinburgh, where she has been sat on the tarmac since 1984.

Post war military
Old 01 January 2007, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I will astraboy. Happy New Year to you too.

Les
Old 19 May 2007, 04:34 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I finally found a copy of this book out here, and I've just finished reading it

All I can say is

Not just to the Vulcan crew, but also to the Victor crews, and especially to all the ground staff who put in the monumental effort required just to get that one antiquated, long neglected bomber in the right place over an inhospitable, windswept rock in the South Atlantic
Old 19 May 2007, 08:17 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

+1 for this too; finished it a week ago; brilliant read.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:27 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I've got it to shove into my daysack for when I fly back to Iraq in a week or so....

Old 19 May 2007, 09:30 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Pity the book ends so abruptly though. I'd have liked it to have gone on and covered the missions which took out the radar installations.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Finished it last week too, very good read. Hard to picture that amount of fuel Anyone know the CO2 emissions of a Vulcan?
Old 19 May 2007, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Finished it last week too, very good read. Hard to picture that amount of fuel Anyone know the CO2 emissions of a Vulcan?
More than one would care to admit to, but it did a lot to save us during the Cold War.

Les
Old 19 May 2007, 12:59 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Am about 1/4 way through this book at the moment, tis good!
Old 19 May 2007, 01:10 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i just finished it
Old 19 May 2007, 02:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

For anyone's interest, I have recently heard that Vulcan 607 has been moved closer to the public road at Waddington so that people can see it more easily and even better than that also, it has been refurbished to stop the signs of corrosion and is now looking smart again. I was also told that it was refitted with the wrong tailpipes for the less powerful 200 series engines (smaller holes) but hopefully that will be put to rights for the sake of accuracy.

Les
Old 19 May 2007, 06:35 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Saw the paperback in Tesco for £3.99 the other day. Bargain.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:38 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah great read!
Old 23 May 2007, 04:25 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
For anyone's interest, I have recently heard that Vulcan 607 has been moved closer to the public road at Waddington so that people can see it more easily and even better than that also, it has been refurbished to stop the signs of corrosion and is now looking smart again. I was also told that it was refitted with the wrong tailpipes for the less powerful 200 series engines (smaller holes) but hopefully that will be put to rights for the sake of accuracy.

Les
Yup, can confirm this.
She's at the back of the airbase by the northern end of the runway next to the A15.
She's close to the public veiwing point.
When I'm out on by bike excercising I cycle past her and have noticed of late she's been given the tlc she has rightfully earned.
Pity the Victor got dumped that was with her a few years ago but my Dad was able to get hold of a few cockpit instruments out of it.

Looking forward to the return to the skies of the Vulcan - nothing like it