Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Coach Crash Near Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 12:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Coach Crash Near Heathrow

As soon as i saw it on the news this morning i knew it would be a National Express coach.

I have to drive past Gatwick Airport every day, and have to put up with these coaches sitting 2 inches off my bumper, sitting in the outside lane refusing to move over, and cutting up cars all the time.

The driving of some of their drivers is nothing short of shocking, and in my opinion it was only a matter of time untill something like this happened.

(I know it hasn't been proven the driver was at fault, although he has been arrested)

Rant over

Old 04 January 2007, 12:59 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. Terrible tragedy for those families involved, but the amount of National Express coaches I see on my travels between LHR and LGW, being driven in a dangerous manner, shocks me. Not suprised this happened, it was just a matter of time. Hope it was mechanical failure of some sort, but I doubt it.
Old 04 January 2007, 01:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Just been chatting about this at work and my only memory of coach travel (from Edinburgh to London...around 20yrs ago) was waking up around 3am to see the driver racing another national express coach at speeds that must of been (or seriously felt to be) around 100mph.....
Old 04 January 2007, 01:27 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

driver has been arrested, so not mechanical failure
Old 04 January 2007, 01:33 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

All i know is that it was bloody windy, if there were no others involved he must of been speeding....
Old 04 January 2007, 01:50 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I have to drive past Gatwick Airport every day, and have to put up with these coaches sitting 2 inches off my bumper
Put your foot down a bit Gary - surely your scoob can beat a coach
Old 04 January 2007, 02:19 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahamG
All i know is that it was bloody windy, if there were no others involved he must of been speeding....
as a coach operator this hurts me in more ways than one (insurance etc) everytime someone dies in a coach,

coaches are limited to 62mph so 100mph even 20 years ago would have been a slight oversite, 80mph poss it it was that long ago as limiters wernt law untill iirc 86/87

i have to aggree with you all though, some drivers realy do give proper coach drivers a bad name...

national express / megabus / airlink / citylink coaches are glorifyed bus routes driven by jumped up bus drivers that dont know courtesy or road manors.

i without going into it to much would say he was traveling around a sharp bend to fast in a double decker coach that was prob top heavy ( most people who get on a double decker coach tend to go up staires )
and he prob lost control when a gust of wind hit it and had no way of compensating on the bend

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2007, 02:31 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
as said hi was prob driving to fast for the conditions so arested for "death by dangerous driving" but doesnt mean there wasnt anything wrong with the coach,
VOSA will now impound the coach and it will be gone over with a fine tooth comb and they will find out if there was anything wrong with the coach that would have contributed to the accident, and if there is the operator will be on the same charges as the driver along with a list of many more too.

the coach may only be 1 or 2 year old but if it hasnt been in for an inspection every 6 weeks the operator will get charged for bad mantenence
even if there is nothing actualy wrong with the coach.
Old 04 January 2007, 02:38 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
AFAIK the driver is almost always arrested and cautioned in the event of a fatal incident - there will almost always be a prosecution of somebody, somewhere so they need to get the process right from the beginning...

Can't just have a "**** happens" accident any more. Someone has to be to blame.

SB

PS Not saying that's the case here, just pointing out that an arrest doesn't automatically mean it was actually the driver's fault...
Old 04 January 2007, 02:52 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Horrible incident by the sound of it - apparently passengers lost limbs at the scene, in addition to the two that died.

Going round a bend and overturned - yes high winds may have been an issue, but one can't help think that it's likely that excessive speed would have too.
Old 04 January 2007, 03:17 PM
N1gel 1970
Scooby Regular

accrding to the news (LBC), one witness is reported as saying the coach hit a kerb before flipping.

whatever the circumstances, it's a terrible start to 2007 for at least 1/2 dozen famalies
Old 04 January 2007, 03:19 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

it is also possible he fell asleep its suprisingly easy to do even with such a big vehicle
Old 05 January 2007, 10:03 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

In cases like this it is quite normal for driver to be arrested on suspicion.....just in case.

Knowing that junction he's probably gone round the corner a bit quick, clipped the kerb, over compensated an already top-heavy coach and fallen over.

Am I right in thinking those Neoplans are the ones with about 6 seats on the bottom?
Old 05 January 2007, 10:12 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have seen National express coaches going 70mph on the M4 so they cant all be limited to 62mph
Old 05 January 2007, 10:18 AM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I have seen National express coaches going 70mph on the M4 so they cant all be limited to 62mph
remember that your car speedo overreads and he may have been going downhill, speed limiters don't apply brakes
Old 05 January 2007, 10:23 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I dont drive a car, I drive a van and the speedo is over by 4mph, My road angel and my tomtom both said it was 70mph my speedo said 74mph .

I have seen this on a number of occasions, im not saying its a bad thing just that they obviously have workarounds.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:25 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Listening to semi high brow radio on the way into work today and a coach driver had called in to say it was common knowledge within the industry that National Express drivers race each other on the route in question. Spokesperson for National Express said that they would be happy to investigate tacho's and reprimand drivers if proven...
Old 05 January 2007, 10:33 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Tachographs are calibrated, and the speed limiter is checked every time the vehicle is MoT'd. You'll probably find that it's your speedo rather than the coach speeding

National Express will (like everyone else in the industry) have their tachos analysed, either in-house, or by someone like Tachodisc. This analysis would highlight any drivers who are breaking speed limits, hours rules or anything else.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:15 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
remember that your car speedo overreads and he may have been going downhill, speed limiters don't apply brakes
even down hill it wouldnt have gone over by that much new coaches have ECU's as well as cars and they have "telmar" brake retarders on them to reduce the friction side of braking and also acts as a over-run brake.

the fastest any coach under 15 year old would be cabable of is 65mph unless it is a shoddy operator who would allow there drivers to get away with "poping" the speed limiter. ( which with the high cost of fines/loss of operating licence etc i cant see there being many)

also national express dont own the coach that was involved (NE only own about 25/30 coaches) most NE coaches are sub-contracted and they will probably only investigate the companys that run that route,

this will all boil down to how good a company the sub-contractor is,
NE will lose face over this but will not get any fines/court hearings etc
it will all fall onto the sub-contractor.

the only reason that NE said they have pulled all "there"(meaning all sub-contracted) double deckers for safety checks is to try and restore public feeling for the company.
Old 05 January 2007, 12:16 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
AFAIK the driver is almost always arrested and cautioned in the event of a fatal incident - there will almost always be a prosecution of somebody, somewhere so they need to get the process right from the beginning...

Can't just have a "**** happens" accident any more. Someone has to be to blame.

SB

PS Not saying that's the case here, just pointing out that an arrest doesn't automatically mean it was actually the driver's fault...
the reason an RTA is now called an RTC...implies theres no such thing as a genuine accident...someones always looking to lay blame...
Old 05 January 2007, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was reported that the driver was arrested and held for questioning under suspicion of dangerous driving.

Les
Old 05 January 2007, 01:23 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I heard he swerved to avoid a loose pitbull that was charging towards the bus
Old 05 January 2007, 01:25 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I heard he swerved to avoid a loose pitbull that was charging towards the bus
A muslim pitball at that!!!!
Old 05 January 2007, 01:31 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
A Muslim pitbull at that!!!!
a failed asylum seeker Muslim pitbull
Old 05 January 2007, 01:35 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A passenger on Sky News described him losing the back-end, hitting the guardrail, the back bouncing back, then the whole coach sliding sideways until it eventually rolled on its side.
Old 05 January 2007, 01:37 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

coaches are limited to 62mph so 100mph even 20 years ago would have been a slight oversite,
Trust me, these coaches were seriously shifting...........rattling about etc, seriously scary and I assure you it was a hell of a lot more than 62mph

No limiters on these coaches...no way

This was in 1987/88...any ideas?
Old 05 January 2007, 01:37 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by TopBanana
A passenger on Sky News described him losing the back-end, hitting the guardrail, the back bouncing back, then the whole coach sliding sideways until it eventually rolled on its side.
Look out for the next enterant in the D1 drift championship this year, in something 'a bit different' from a Skyline/200SX
Old 05 January 2007, 01:43 PM
New_scooby_04

The driver has ben released!

We shouldn't jump to conclusions, it's been very windy in the SE recently and there may well have been mechanical factors or a spillage on the road.

ns04

Quick Reply: Coach Crash Near Heathrow