Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do SPECS cameras work in the dark?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2007, 02:16 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do SPECS cameras work in the dark?

Driving back from Stansted airport last night at 3am and no other buggers on the roads, I was doing less than 70mph (in pikey fuel conservancy mode) but noticed I went through a coned off section at one point on the M4 which had SPECS cameras. I only noticed the 2nd one at the end of the speed restriction as it was an unlit stretch, just wondering if these get you in the dark as well?

Ta.

Btw not looking to worm out of it if I got nailed, just wondering that's all.
Old 26 January 2007, 02:16 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 26 January 2007, 02:18 PM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

Just change lane next time
Old 26 January 2007, 03:21 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby51
the cameras have been adjusted so this trick doesn't work anymore
Old 26 January 2007, 03:30 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

I still heard it was there, if its been adjusted why do they still need a camera on each lane ?

Dave
Old 26 January 2007, 03:47 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrantyBoy
the cameras have been adjusted so this trick doesn't work anymore
They haven't been adjusted as it would also require a change of legislation... They still only work on one lane. Multiple camera's means two or more lanes are being watched, but as said if you move lanes they do not work.

If you enter the timing zone in lane 3, you still need to be lane 3 by the next camera for it work. For multiple sets you need to be constantly changing lanes, between camera sets, which the DOT have asked people not to do....Like you're going to make their job easier!!

Last edited by Reffro; 26 January 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 26 January 2007, 08:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby51
Good idea, but I think I was asleep at the time to be honest.

Cheers, just have to wait and see then - oh goody.
Old 26 January 2007, 09:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
They haven't been adjusted as it would also require a change of legislation... They still only work on one lane. Multiple camera's means two or more lanes are being watched, but as said if you move lanes they do not work.

If you enter the timing zone in lane 3, you still need to be lane 3 by the next camera for it work. For multiple sets you need to be constantly changing lanes, between camera sets, which the DOT have asked people not to do....Like you're going to make their job easier!!
Can you verify this from personal experience Ref? Doesnt seem like a tough software solution...?
Old 26 January 2007, 10:20 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Can you verify this from personal experience Ref? Doesnt seem like a tough software solution...?
Not personal experience but from here:-

Drivers can avoid speeding tickets...by changing lanes | the Daily Mail
Old 27 January 2007, 12:14 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My theory is that they don't work in the dark. I simply don't believe that the camera and software is sophisticated enough to be able to read a reg number (remember they have to "read" part of it to identify an individual vehicle to decide if it's speeding) off a highly reflective background in zero/low ambient light conditions when there are 2 huge light sources either side and slightly above the plate while it's moving at 70mph.
Old 27 January 2007, 12:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought they were infra red cameras.

Les
Old 27 January 2007, 02:10 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My theory is that they don't work in the dark. I simply don't believe that the camera and software is sophisticated enough to be able to read a reg number (remember they have to "read" part of it to identify an individual vehicle to decide if it's speeding) off a highly reflective background in zero/low ambient light conditions when there are 2 huge light sources either side and slightly above the plate while it's moving at 70mph.
You would be wrong.

LICENSE PLATE CAPTURE CAMERA CALL FOR BEST PRICING.

Just one example but there are plenty others. Even some of my home cctv has the facilty to black out high gain light, for example someone trying to shine a torch or some to dazzle a camera just doesn't work as intended.
Old 27 January 2007, 03:09 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I thought they were infra red cameras.

Les
Yup - SPECS cameras always have two smaller 'friends' - one either side of the camera... which are high power IR lights for illumination.

Hence, to you and I, there is zero (or close to it) ambient light. To the SPECS cameras, it's as good as daylight.

Anyway - I think those SPECS cameras have only JUST gone up, in the last week, and I doubt they're actually live yet.... as there's no actual roadworks along that section just yet...

They did a similar thing with the roadworks on the M4 around Membury, and put the poles and SPECS cameras up whilst they had speed restrictions in a 2-lane 40mph section, they've just moved up closer to J15 now...
Old 27 January 2007, 04:21 PM
Rudolph Hooker
Scooby Regular

As some one said, swap lanes they are only type approved to work as a single pair.
They are pretty good in the dark too ..........
Old 27 January 2007, 05:26 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Oh well I guess I'd better just wait and see. Normally I'm pretty good at speed limits, and sticking below them. But I'd been on the go since 6am the previous day and at 2.30am on the M4 my main focus was staying awake and getting home. As I said I didn't go above 70, but the SPECS were in a 40 or 50 which I didn't even notice the start of.

Using IR cameras makes sense, and they do look like IR spots either side of the camera.

Oh well fingers crossed it wasn't live yet.
Old 28 January 2007, 11:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker
You would be wrong.

LICENSE PLATE CAPTURE CAMERA CALL FOR BEST PRICING.

Just one example but there are plenty others. Even some of my home cctv has the facilty to black out high gain light, for example someone trying to shine a torch or some to dazzle a camera just doesn't work as intended.
Originally Posted by That Web Site
Features:

* Captures Retro-Reflective License Plates
* Filters out Visible Light to Capture Only Plate
* Effective for Vehicles moving up to 60 MPH
* Works well with ANPR software and DVRs
* Ideal for Vehicle Access Control
* No Blooming from Headlights
So over 60mph is fine, then?
Old 29 January 2007, 12:10 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Yup - SPECS cameras always have two smaller 'friends' - one either side of the camera... which are high power IR lights for illumination
So if you have a new S-class Merc with the IR headlamps and TV dashboard that shows the IR picture you'll be able to spot specs cameras at night from a huge distance

S class AMG anybody???
Old 29 January 2007, 09:41 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iwan
As I said I didn't go above 70, but the SPECS were in a 40 or 50 which I didn't even notice the start of.
I went past the same stretch the other night and didn't notice any change in speed limit. Hopefully they aren't live yet as I was doing bang on 70 then I went past the sign for end of roadworks
Old 29 January 2007, 10:33 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
So if you have a new S-class Merc with the IR headlamps and TV dashboard that shows the IR picture you'll be able to spot specs cameras at night from a huge distance

S class AMG anybody???
Or save 50k and have a detector for a couple of hundred.

Mac
Old 29 January 2007, 11:16 AM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Driving back from Stansted airport last night at 3am and no other buggers on the roads, I was doing less than 70mph (in pikey fuel conservancy mode) but noticed I went through a coned off section at one point on the M4 which had SPECS cameras. I only noticed the 2nd one at the end of the speed restriction as it was an unlit stretch, just wondering if these get you in the dark as well?

Ta.

Btw not looking to worm out of it if I got nailed, just wondering that's all.
Sure it wasnt the M25?

They will work at night.

We use basically the same system to monitor all the cars entering an area. A SPEC is basically a Camera with 2 Infra Red lights next to the camera. The Infra red will make the numberplate on the car more brighter (the front White numberplate) and this allows the camera to distinguish the letters on the numberplate. During the day the camera will work even if the infrared bulbs fail, but at night, if the infrared bulbs have failed then it wont be able to read any numberplates.

Its just a shame there are 2 bulbs on every camera (not a chance both lights fail at the same time)

Last edited by Recaro; 29 January 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added some more info
Old 29 January 2007, 12:05 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Or save 50k and have a detector for a couple of hundred.

Mac
But surely if you are driving along in your S-class with the infra-red headlamps on, the will have the effect of "blinding" the Specs camera? The same as if you tried to read a front number plate at night with the normal headlamps blazing away - it's not possible!
Old 29 January 2007, 02:57 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
But surely if you are driving along in your S-class with the infra-red headlamps on, the will have the effect of "blinding" the Specs camera? The same as if you tried to read a front number plate at night with the normal headlamps blazing away - it's not possible!
Ahhhh, see your point, does one IR beam block another?????, thought it would just make the plate easier to see at night.

Mac
Old 29 January 2007, 05:54 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Recaro
Sure it wasnt the M25?

They will work at night.

We use basically the same system to monitor all the cars entering an area. A SPEC is basically a Camera with 2 Infra Red lights next to the camera. The Infra red will make the numberplate on the car more brighter (the front White numberplate) and this allows the camera to distinguish the letters on the numberplate. During the day the camera will work even if the infrared bulbs fail, but at night, if the infrared bulbs have failed then it wont be able to read any numberplates.

Its just a shame there are 2 bulbs on every camera (not a chance both lights fail at the same time)
I saw the ones on the M25, but it was one on the M4 somewhere near Reading which might have got me.