Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Band Of Brothers

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2007, 09:42 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Band Of Brothers

I missed this when it first came on TV, but my wife bought me the DVD box set for my birthday.

I've been watching it all this week, and have just finished the last episode, and I'm sitting here in tears.

Just awesome. if you haven't seen it, I cant recommend it highly enough.

I have so much respect for the people who fought for our freedoms today.

To each and every one of them.

Thank you.

Last edited by FlightMan; 02 February 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 09:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Agree, its sheer class

I hope they do some sort of follow up series in a similar style, ie focusing on a different aspect of the war.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:08 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Agree, its sheer class

I hope they do some sort of follow up series in a similar style, ie focusing on a different aspect of the war.
Hopefully with British soldiers in it

Agree though awesome series about as realistic as it gets . love the way the real soldiers tell their own story at the end of each episode ....moving stuff
Old 03 February 2007, 06:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've heard the same team are working on "The Pacific War", but can't find any reference to it on imdb.

I've got the R1 DTS box set of BoB
Old 03 February 2007, 07:11 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Quality band of brothers i must have awatched it three times now
Old 04 February 2007, 09:15 AM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I dont have the box set but i did watch them on tv, it was truely awesome and made you realise what those men went through
Old 04 February 2007, 10:19 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had it for a while now, quality bit of TV. Haven't watched it for a while but it is certainly a lot more realistic than the usual American trash
Old 04 February 2007, 10:21 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

And while they are American soldiers, there's a lot of British actors in it!
Old 04 February 2007, 10:35 AM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Currently reading the book the series was based on.

The series is so exact its brilliant. Got it on DVD aswell and still catch myself flicking over on sky if I see an episode on.
Old 04 February 2007, 11:04 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I find it amazing how we go on about stress ie paying the mortgage- keeping down a job etc etc. But those guys knew all about stress .
Old 04 February 2007, 11:15 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I watched this last year on DVD. Watched it all over about a week. I thought it was tremendous. This kind of stuff should be mandatory viewing in schools.
Old 04 February 2007, 02:50 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Somebody brought this up on Snet a few months ago - it's one subject I'm happy to see return !

And yes, the TV programme is superbly realistic and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the soldiers concerned. Just a pity that the few scenes with Brits in them show them as numpties !
Old 04 February 2007, 09:25 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Respect to those guys. A superb bit of televison that aims to tell it how it was. As someone said it is good to see the guys involved talk as it makes it more powerfull and moving.
One side effect of this has an obsession with 101st has now arisen in the US. Some would think they were the only guys involved.

If any of you are interested a friend of mine David Harper (who is the worlds expert on Berchtesgaden-Eagles Nest and is the guide there) Is organising a Band of Brothers tour in Normandy around June the 6th. If you want details let me know - I think it is quite pricey from memory.

Here is the other side of the coin. For those interested in impartial history. Moral hit quite a low point about a month after D Day. A high percentage of Allied casualties were suffering from self inflicted woulds or were in field hospitals with psychological problems. I will post a link that details this soon - when I find it.

Also talking to a friend of mine that goes by the name of Sterling - a close relative of his was in a lead tank liberating French villages. Sometimes they were welcomed with open arms sometimes the tank was stoned and they were told to go away. The inhabitants were quite happy with the Germans thank you very much and didnt want their village disturbed with noisy tanks. Of course all frenchmen after the war were members of the resistance. However the reality was that it was a fairly divided country in terms of where loyalities lay.

But all in all - Its a good job these guys paid the ultimate sacrifice or we would probably either be speaking German or Russian by now!

Steve
Old 04 February 2007, 09:33 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Quality viewing, as said earlier the interviews with the soldiers is just as good. They are most probably the bravest people you'll ever see
Old 04 February 2007, 09:58 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Respect to those guys. A superb bit of televison that aims to tell it how it was. As someone said it is good to see the guys involved talk as it makes it more powerfull and moving.
One side effect of this has an obsession with 101st has now arisen in the US. Some would think they were the only guys involved.

If any of you are interested a friend of mine David Harper (who is the worlds expert on Berchtesgaden-Eagles Nest and is the guide there) Is organising a Band of Brothers tour in Normandy around June the 6th. If you want details let me know - I think it is quite pricey from memory.

Here is the other side of the coin. For those interested in impartial history. Moral hit quite a low point about a month after D Day. A high percentage of Allied casualties were suffering from self inflicted woulds or were in field hospitals with psychological problems. I will post a link that details this soon - when I find it.

Also talking to a friend of mine that goes by the name of Sterling - a close relative of his was in a lead tank liberating French villages. Sometimes they were welcomed with open arms sometimes the tank was stoned and they were told to go away. The inhabitants were quite happy with the Germans thank you very much and didn't want their village disturbed with noisy tanks. Of course all Frenchmen after the war were members of the resistance. However the reality was that it was a fairly divided country in terms of where loyalities lay.

But all in all - Its a good job these guys paid the ultimate sacrifice or we would probably either be speaking German or Russian by now!

Steve
Very interesting post ..

I've always been fascinated in D-Day ever since my uncle told me he was on one the British destroyers that took the Americans across to Omaha and Utah . "I took some o them poor buggers across the channel". I remember him telling me .
One day Ill get across the channel and see for myself . I had arranged to go on the 60th anniversary but my daughter was taken ill so we had to cancel.

Loads of good programs about D-Day on the History Channel , saw one a few weeks back about a German soldier on Omaha and they reckoned he killed the most allies in one morning on the 6th June than any other German , basically just sat there for a few hours and mowed every American down as they landed on the beach . Was then captured and taken prisoner of war

Doesn't surprise me about the French though
Old 04 February 2007, 10:04 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I missed this when it first came on TV, but my wife bought me the DVD box set for my birthday.

I've been watching it all this week, and have just finished the last episode, and I'm sitting here in tears.

Just awesome. if you haven't seen it, I cant recommend it highly enough.

I have so much respect for the people who fought for our freedoms today.

To each and every one of them.

Thank you.

had the box set for xmas 2002 just awesome
Old 04 February 2007, 10:23 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

One of my all time favourite DVDs.

I was lucky enough to go to Normandy during the 60th Anniversary of D-Day. We travelled on a commemorative symbolic crossing flanked by 4 destroyers, one from USA, France, Canada and UK with D Day veterans on board the ferry. Each happy to talk and share their experiences

some pics from the memorable day

Not many of the old boys left, hats off to them
Old 05 February 2007, 12:43 AM
JAKbauer24
Former Sponsor

I must say hats off as well they were real HERO'S every one of em ... still makes you proud to be brittish :
Old 05 February 2007, 08:04 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Also talking to a friend of mine that goes by the name of Sterling - a close relative of his was in a lead tank liberating French villages. Sometimes they were welcomed with open arms sometimes the tank was stoned and they were told to go away. The inhabitants were quite happy with the Germans thank you very much and didnt want their village disturbed with noisy tanks. Of course all frenchmen after the war were members of the resistance. However the reality was that it was a fairly divided country in terms of where loyalities lay.

Steve
The link for those that are interested
Independent Online Edition > Europe
Old 05 February 2007, 08:16 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fantastic programme
I have spent two weeks in Normandy its a fantastic place to go and make sure you take the kids as well.
The american cemetry brings it right home, a very moving place.

The menning gate (spelling) at Ypres is another moving place , the last post is played every day at 6pm , not a dry eye anywhere.
Old 05 February 2007, 08:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Steve
I'm not that good on history, but I do remember being told a long time ago that some the French people living near the coastal areas of the D-Day landings still harbour major grudges against us to this day. Apparently, before the landings took place, the RAF mercilessly pounded the hell out of any structure that was near the beaches of the proposed landings. From what I was told, this included the villages in the surrounding area, nearly all of which were predominately occupied by the French. Apparently we have the blood of a lot of innocent lives on our hands from those areas. That could also be a reason why rocks were thrown at the tanks when rolling into villages.
Old 05 February 2007, 08:25 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I'm not that good on history, but I do remember being told a long time ago that some the French people living near the coastal areas of the D-Day landings still harbour major grudges against us to this day. Apparently, before the landings took place, the RAF mercilessly pounded the hell out of any structure that was near the beaches of the proposed landings. From what I was told, this included the villages in the surrounding area, nearly all of which were predominately occupied by the French. Apparently we have the blood of a lot of innocent lives on our hands from those areas. That could also be a reason why rocks were thrown at the tanks when rolling into villages.
That could well be - certainly sounds like a realistic reason.
I have spent quite a bit of time in rural France - finding lost british planes from 1940 primarily. Many people are very happy to help ´´ah He died for France´´ is quite a common reply from elderly locals in villages when enquiring about a pilot.

Stumbled accross large parts of a German halftrack (Skdfz 6) in a farmers ditch about 2 years ago in Normandy whilst looking for a plane!
Old 05 February 2007, 09:51 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

what really pisses me of

some little wreckhead nickin twenty quid out of there wallets .
they should me shot , when you think of what they did for us.
Old 05 February 2007, 11:29 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
A fantastic programme
I have spent two weeks in Normandy its a fantastic place to go and make sure you take the kids as well.
The american cemetry brings it right home, a very moving place.

The menning gate (spelling) at Ypres is another moving place , the last post is played every day at 6pm , not a dry eye anywhere.
Menen (Meenen or Menin)
Menen Gate by night photo - Danny Cambré photos at pbase.com

Menen being a town near Kortrijk or Courtrai (Flemish or French)... Which in itself is north(ish) of Lille.

J.
Old 05 February 2007, 11:32 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Flew straight over Normandy that day around noon, the weather was great, the tide was low.

Stayed in London for 2 days....

The series rox! Best WW2 series EVA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 February 2007, 10:21 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Menen (Meenen or Menin)
Menen Gate by night photo - Danny Cambré photos at pbase.com

Menen being a town near Kortrijk or Courtrai (Flemish or French)... Which in itself is north(ish) of Lille.

J.
Thats the place, I used to go and watch the 24hrs of Ypres rally back in the 80's and 90's, I always made a point of a visit at 6pm while they played the last post.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:47 PM
methodman
Scooby Regular

yeah i think it used to be on bbc2 on friday nights? seen the dvd for about 20 sniffs, must treat myself
Old 08 February 2007, 12:04 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Fantastic series watched every episode when it was on TV.

Hmmm Think it would make good fathers day Prezzie
Old 08 February 2007, 09:42 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Stephen Ambrose (who wrote Band Of Brothers) also had a book out about the whole Pegasus Bridge story - Amazon.co.uk: Pegasus Bridge: D-Day - the Daring British Airborne Raid: Books: Stephen E. Ambrose

Brilliant book, we went there late 2005 to take my wifes grandad to see his brother's memorial in Ranville, near the bridge. He was a para who followed the gliders in on the boats up the canals during the Pegasus Bridge invasion, and lost his life there.

Dave
Old 08 February 2007, 10:10 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Stephen Ambrose (who wrote Band Of Brothers) also had a book out about the whole Pegasus Bridge story - Amazon.co.uk: Pegasus Bridge: D-Day - the Daring British Airborne Raid: Books: Stephen E. Ambrose
Spotted that book in Tesco for £5 the other day, so I decided it had to be worth getting. Not started it yet though.

John.

Quick Reply: Band Of Brothers