Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Birds singing

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2007, 01:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Birds singing

I have to admit that I find birdsong lifts my spirits.......so much so that I have four CDs of birdsong that I listen to while the dark Winter evenings are here. SAD, I reckon.

But what TRIGGERS their singing? They start at first light, (some, even before the human eye can detect the dawn), and go berserk again at dusk, so my first thought would be "light", or "a certain level of light".

However, that can't be it all, since they would then be triggered at all hours on dull days, which does not seem to be the case.

And there's been a song-thrush singing almost all day here at the moment too.

Alcazar
Old 20 February 2007, 01:09 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't remember where I read this, probably New Scientist, but I believe it has to do with how large their eyes are. Birds don't sing when it's dark because it attracts predators, and they can't hear them coming. The larger their eyes, the more light they can let in, so they start singing to attract a mate, when it's light enough for them to see predators.
Old 20 February 2007, 01:13 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

We have a blackbird thats sings in our garden at dusk, and others around seem to take it in turns to answer. Beautiful. And we hear one bird in the morning that we call the chips and peas bird, cos it sings this - chip-chip-chip-peeeeeees
Old 20 February 2007, 03:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That one sounds like a bluetit.

Alcazar
Old 20 February 2007, 03:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the birdman of alcazar
Old 20 February 2007, 03:48 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Heres a bird that mimics man made sounds, like a car alarm , chainsaw, camera shutters......

Lyrebird Unbeleivable Jungle Bird Mimics Bird and Human Sounds - Google Video
Old 20 February 2007, 03:48 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I hate birds. Mostly because they purposfully target my car with their s**t everytime I wax it.
Old 20 February 2007, 04:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
I hate birds. Mostly because they purposfully target my car with their s**t everytime I wax it.

the amount of time we have finished somebodys car, parked it up and left it for the rest of the day awaiting collection, and then have an angry punter as a bird has shat all over the bonnet

how come they never hit the tarmac
Old 20 February 2007, 04:22 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

..because they don't aim for the tarmac..

evil.. pure evil I tell ya..
Old 20 February 2007, 05:28 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

When you have 4 cats it's a brave bird that sings.
Old 20 February 2007, 07:04 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
Can't remember where I read this, probably New Scientist, but I believe it has to do with how large their eyes are. Birds don't sing when it's dark because it attracts predators, and they can't hear them coming. The larger their eyes, the more light they can let in, so they start singing to attract a mate, when it's light enough for them to see predators.
Could you come and tell the Robin that sings outside my place a 4 am to stop singing as he's breaking the rules. LOL
Old 20 February 2007, 07:15 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I'm 60 years young and have been interested in birds since i was a small boy.
Last summer (June 2006) i went to stay with one of my daughters in Dorset. She lives in a close which is surrounded by large trees and plenty of vegitation which attracts a multitude of birds, both residents and migrants. On one occasion i got up at around 5 am for a Jimmy Riddle and the dawn chorus must have been at it's peak; in all my life i have never heard so many different birds singing at the same time, it was fan bloody tastic. It's a shame i didn't have some sort of recording equipment to capture it.

Geoff.
Old 20 February 2007, 07:26 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Birdsong in general consists of variations upon a theme of "Fancy a ****" and "Get orf moi laaand".

HTH.
Old 20 February 2007, 07:37 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

I worked with a guy a few years back who was an avid bird watcher. I never had any real interest in them until I met him. Now I love to listen and watch them. Strange thing is, in Aus we have some amazingly beautiful birds but they sing like crap whereas in Europe I find the birds quite plain but they can sing so wonderfully. Does anybody else think the same?

I once asked this guy why birds sing in the morning and he couldnt come up with a decent answer?

It helps to put a feeder in a nearby tree to attract them

Last edited by swaussie; 20 February 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 20 February 2007, 07:44 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

As cottonfoo says, but that mainly explains why the times that different birds start singing are staggered..

Big-eyed birds sing early songs: dawn chorus explained - This Week - Brief Article Science News - Find Articles
Old 20 February 2007, 10:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid17
I'm 60 years young and have been interested in birds since i was a small boy.
Last summer (June 2006) i went to stay with one of my daughters in Dorset. She lives in a close which is surrounded by large trees and plenty of vegitation which attracts a multitude of birds, both residents and migrants. On one occasion i got up at around 5 am for a Jimmy Riddle and the dawn chorus must have been at it's peak; in all my life i have never heard so many different birds singing at the same time, it was fan bloody tastic. It's a shame i didn't have some sort of recording equipment to capture it.

Geoff.
What have you got for reproducing music? As stated, I have FOUR bird CD's, just PM me if you're interested in having some "the same"

Alcazar
Old 20 February 2007, 10:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swaussie
Strange thing is, in Aus we have some amazingly beautiful birds but they sing like crap whereas in Europe I find the birds quite plain but they can sing so wonderfully. Does anybody else think the same?
See previous post to yours: birdsong is about attracting mates and defending territory. Very colourful birds use that for attracting, and also, via display, for territorial defense.

Dull coloured birds need to sing to announce themselves.

Alcazar
Old 20 February 2007, 11:08 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Birds were singing their little beaks off tonight as I left work at 6pm. Lovely to hear.
Yve
Old 21 February 2007, 10:37 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I'll admit to liking the sound of this as well. Spring is my favourite part of the year, and this is when the singing is at it's best. I prefer the song of the black bird myself. I agree that listneing to their song is very relaxing.

And going slightly off topic, I spotted a Sparrow Hawk in our garden yesterday morning. He was standing on a branch, pulling the feathers out of, what looked like a starting. It's the first time I've seen one of these in the garden. We normally just get sparrows, blue/greattits, finches, collared doves and pheasants.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:43 AM
Reality
BANNED

Aberdeen doesn't have too much Bird Song - Drowned out by the gentle SQWAAAAACK from the **** hawks (Seagulls).
Old 21 February 2007, 10:59 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I keep getting blue **** tapping my window in the morning during the summer, usually at 6.00am.

<cue joke about how cruel I am at shutting the missus outside overnight whilst stark naked >
Old 21 February 2007, 11:06 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

The crows across the road from the farm I used to live on would try and kill their reflection in the mirrored image in a window downstairs in the mornings, they'd tap the glass so hard with their beaks you would swear it was going to break! I initially thought someone was trying to break in