Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Giant African Snails - sleeping or dead?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2007, 01:18 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Giant African Snails - sleeping or dead?

My girlfriend, Rachael, is looking after two of the above snails for half term (she's a primary school teacher).

However, since coming away from school, one of the snails has retracted into its shell, and refuses to come out. We've tried washing it, sitting it in some shallow water, placing it near food, but it hasn't popped it's head out. The other snail, by comparison, has hardly stopped moving.

Now, at first, we thought the dormant snail may have been about to lay eggs, but it's been like this for 4 days now, and appears to have retracted further into its shell.

Is it likely that this snail is dead? How do you tell if it is dead? It's still wet and slimey, so could still be alive? How do you 'dispose' of it, if it is dead?

Can the power of Scoobynet provide any answers (Google can't!). Thanks for any help

Dave & Rachael
Old 20 February 2007, 01:24 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Fry with garlic and butter, consume with some French bread and wash down with a nice chilled glass of white.
Old 20 February 2007, 01:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by DaveD
My girlfriend, Rachael, is looking after two of the above snails for half term (she's a primary school teacher).

However, since coming away from school, one of the snails has retracted into its shell, and refuses to come out. We've tried washing it, sitting it in some shallow water, placing it near food, but it hasn't popped it's head out. The other snail, by comparison, has hardly stopped moving.

Now, at first, we thought the dormant snail may have been about to lay eggs, but it's been like this for 4 days now, and appears to have retracted further into its shell.

Is it likely that this snail is dead? How do you tell if it is dead? It's still wet and slimey, so could still be alive? How do you 'dispose' of it, if it is dead?

Can the power of Scoobynet provide any answers (Google can't!). Thanks for any help

Dave & Rachael

Thank God you added '(she's a primary school teacher)' or the wrath of SN would have fallen like a ton of bricks
Old 20 February 2007, 01:58 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

maybe you just dont know how to google its clearly in need of a bath.

http://giantlandsnails.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Last edited by lpski1; 20 February 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 20 February 2007, 02:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Talking of Google.......

My snail seems to have stopped eating and isn't coming out of it's shell much either - what can I do?

=========

Have you got a heat mat for your snail? Sounds like it could have gone into hibernation. You need to either use a heat mat, or keep it in a warm place (and spray it with warm water). If you can get a mat it's best - they're about £11 for a small one, you don't need one that covers the whole tank. Too much or too little moisture can also cause hibernation.

Leave the mat on all the time, and leave the tank on it - they take a week to start to get back to normal - takes this time for them to decide that the heat will be constant, and won't disappear suddenly. Don't do what I did one year - keep moving the tank on and off the heat source - they get confused and it takes even longer to get them out! You could also try holding the snail under warm running water, or popping him in a saucer, but make sure it's not too hot or deep!

Another thing I found with mine - if they are out but not eating, try putting them in the middle of the tank, or away from wherever they like to hide, in the case of mine it's their tunnel, and then ring them with food, so that to get back to their hiding place they need to cross it - they tend to take a nibble on the way! I'm still doing this every night with my biggies, and it seems to have worked so far.[A]
Old 20 February 2007, 03:04 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

A little bit of salt in the shell will wake the little blighter up
Old 20 February 2007, 03:56 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
A little bit of salt in the shell will wake the little blighter up

you lousy git!
Old 20 February 2007, 04:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ee's just resting. Very rare snail the Giant African, beautiful plumage!
Old 20 February 2007, 05:59 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Hello

Is Rachael here.

Thanks for you advice... I have trawled google, and visited a good half dozen sites! (including the one suggested here )Unfortunately none of them seem to deal with snail death! The snails are kept at a pretty constant temperature, are bathed and sprayed regularly, and their tank is cleaned out on a regular basis.
We did put Rosie on a ring of food (this was suggested on a website) and popped her in a saucer of water. (Ok, I know snails are hermafrodites, but when a 5 year old names it Rosie, you automatically call it 'her/she' - the other one is called Sonic!)

Today Rosie has gone further into her shell. I'm at a bit of a loss - more over explaining death to a class of 5 and 6 year olds than anything else... just wondering where I can add it in to the conversation! However, I will look at buying a heat mat, and see if that will help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

btw - if Coffin Dodger would like a dead Rosie sent to him/her as a nice snack, let me know... I'll even supply the garlic!