Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

York Traffic Today!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 11:33 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default York Traffic Today!!

What a nightmare on the North-East side of York.

Over four miles stationery heading to A64 Grimston Bar from the west, a mile from the East. Four miles stationery heading south from the A64 to Selby. Hull Road stationery.

A slight change to the traffic light timing and a quarter of York is jammed
Old 21 February 2007, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cue local MP on Calendar tonight waffling about how York needs congestion charging

Can anyone spell "social conditioning"
Old 21 February 2007, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This is EXACTLY what they did in London, messed about with the lights, put in loads of road repairs etc, then waited until complaints about queues grew, and slapped on congestion charging.

Watch for it coming to an area near YOU soon

Alcazar
Old 21 February 2007, 12:17 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

The Government has sent out a book to all councils telling them how to slow traffic down, and basically introduce more congestion. Road narrowing with single lane movements, road humps, and increased dead time at traffic lights etc.
They see this as a method of getting traffic really congested so the Public then feel road pricing is a good thing.

Last edited by r32; 21 February 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 21 February 2007, 12:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Evident in Leeds too. There's a road in Bramley where they've narrowed it so much that there's no room if the oncoming vehicle is a bus or truck. The bus stops which used to be in neat lay-bye's now protrude into the carriageway so every bus that stops creates a jam, and there have been countless accidents where people have driven over the new pedestrian reservations (last place I'd ever want to stand as a pedestrian ) which also happen to be located right where the bus stops are making it difficult and dangerous to pass a stopped bus even when it's quiet.

We must vote these wnakers out, but who do we replace them with as Cameron is a bigger tofu-eating sandal-wearing tree-hugging cyclist (untrained ,unqualified, untested, untaxed, uninsured cyclist ) than bLIAR.
Old 21 February 2007, 12:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by r32
The Government has sent out a book to all councils telling them hopw to slow traffic down, and basically introduce more congestion. Road narrowing with single lane movements, road humps, and increased dead time at traffic lights.
They see this as a method of getting traffic really congested so the Public then feel road pricing is a good thing.
Now THAT I can believe. I wish I could get hold of a copy, then it could be publicised, and revealed for the scam it almost certainly is.

On another note, recent articles in the S****horpe Telegraph revealed that the M180 was a candidate for congestion charging, as it's one of the top 10% congested roads in the country.

Now ANYONE that knows THIS area will tell you that's utter crap.

During the day, it free-flows, except for the dual carriageway bit around Scunny, which CAN see traffic slowed to 60mph (shock, horror) due to lorries overtaking, and at night, it's empty.

However, let's look at it another way: If road pricing IS to come, the government are going to need to spread the cost. We can't have it ALL born by the areas where congestion actually occurs, that's a sure-fire vote loser, especially in the South East. So what do we do? We organise a group to see which roads IN EACH AREA carry the heaviest traffic, then start lying, (sorry, "spining"), to tell the public in those areas that THAT road is congested and needs pricing.

Who are we, the general public, to disagree? After all, we only LIVE there, and use the road daily, so what would WE know

Alcazar
Old 21 February 2007, 12:30 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Doesn't take long for the conspiracy theorists does it!
Working for the council, I haven't heard anything to indicate plans for road charging. There's been a huge traffic management plan slowly being introduced over the past few years, which will monitor traffic flow accross the city, monitor and report on buses running late, and monitor car park usage.

I can't say what's happened at Grimston, living 2 miles form it I generally avoid the area anyway. Traffic into town was quite bad, but it always is in bad weather for some reason.
Old 21 February 2007, 12:36 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Evident in Leeds too. There's a road in Bramley where they've narrowed it so much that there's no room if the oncoming vehicle is a bus or truck. The bus stops which used to be in neat lay-bye's now protrude into the carriageway so every bus that stops creates a jam, and there have been countless accidents where people have driven over the new pedestrian reservations (last place I'd ever want to stand as a pedestrian ) which also happen to be located right where the bus stops are making it difficult and dangerous to pass a stopped bus even when it's quiet.

We must vote these wnakers out, but who do we replace them with as Cameron is a bigger tofu-eating sandal-wearing tree-hugging cyclist (untrained ,unqualified, untested, untaxed, uninsured cyclist ) than bLIAR.
But it's councils who control local roads. voting the government out (good move BTW) would make little or no difference.

you clearly don't like cyclists (I ride to work, and pay nearly £400 pa road tax thank you very much), but there's a noticable increase in congestion heading into York when the weather's poor, and people leave their bikes at home.
Old 21 February 2007, 12:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You are right about conspiracy theorists!

The main road that was stuck was the A64 that normally flows freely at this time of day. I am sure it is simply badly coordinated road works. I am sure it won't be the same tomorrow

Rannoch
Old 21 February 2007, 01:34 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
From my thread on Tb's email: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...mentguidelines
It's on the web ...

Dave
That link is failing, it seems to have real dots in it...

This one ? http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...mentguidelines
Old 21 February 2007, 09:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
you clearly don't like cyclists
Absolutely As a driving instructor I see dozens, if not a hundred or more a day. They vary from the ignorant, arrogant, twatish teen on an undersized BMX, weaving along looking very unstable, often ilegally carrying a pillion passenger (without a pillion), no lights, no helmet and no fecking clue about how dangerous what they are doing is, not just for them, but everyone else whom has to avoid them; then there's the dopey friend-of-the-earth geography teacher type, replete in hi-vis jacket, helmet and more twinkling lights than the Piccadilly (sp?) Circus xmas tree, usually running through a no entry sign and proceeding the wrong way down a one-way street (this I actually witnessed just this week, and saw the same cyclist a few minutes later whilst chatting to a hospital receptionist whom confirmed she was one of the doctors ). If it were up to me, anyone on a bike under 14 would be restricted to 30mph roads. At 14 I'd have a compulsory proficiency test which included the theory and hazard assessment test used on learner drivers now as well as a practical. Lights (functioning) would be mandatory at all times, helmets too; and the use of mobiles or music players whilst riding would carry a £1000 fine and a total ban from road usage for 5 years, as well as ensuring that traffic police enforced their compliance with the RTA and Highway Code as vigilantly as it is enforced on other road users. For every good cyclist I see hundreds of bad ones, in fact, it is very rare to see one for more than 20 seconds whom hasn't been in breach of one or more traffic laws, rules or regulations. Yes, I hate cyclists, more than white van drivers and taxi drivers. Oh, and yes I too have a bike and like to cycle, except I don't see the public highway as a safe place to travel on such a ridiculously unstable and unsafe method of transport so I only cycle off road. I prefer to have metal, laminated glass, airbags, side-impact protection, seatbelts and lots of other things to keep me safe, all of which are either compulsory or very nearly compulsory just to allow me on the road, and which cyclists get away with just because they've been allowed to since Victorian times. The world has moved on, it's a shame our attitude to safety in relation to antiquated leisure transport hasn't. Now don't get me started on horses
Old 22 February 2007, 11:00 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Just to add a moan about cyclists. Here in Hull we have quite a few cycle paths at the side of busy roads. So where do the ignorant t*ats cycle...Saw 3 of them just this morning, in the dark and wet for good measure.

As for York theres road works at the A64 roundabout at Grimston bar and additionally the A166 is closed at Stamford Bridge causing unusual traffic patterns.
Old 22 February 2007, 11:02 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

D1CCY,

the A166 is still open - the works do not start until March 5th.

The Grimston Bar roundabout is down to one lane (coming off a dual carriageway) and this is creating massive traffic jams from the western side. The A64 is pretty unusable.

To cap it off, last night I went into York and the main road was shut and I got stuck for 30mins trying to find my way out of the jam.

And I came oop north to avoid traffic and jams

R
Old 22 February 2007, 11:05 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
The Government has sent out a book to all councils telling them how to slow traffic down, and basically introduce more congestion. Road narrowing with single lane movements, road humps, and increased dead time at traffic lights etc.
Evidence?
Old 22 February 2007, 11:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Passed one last night who insisted on riding right in the middle of the lane At first I didn't mind as we were about to pass some parked cars, but after the obstruction he stayed right out and there was a gap of some 300 yards to the next parked cars. Saw an opportunity and went past him so close I nearly clipped him with the mirror. TW@T ! Lights, helmet and hi-vis.....and fecking awful attitude to other road users whom just happen to pay tax to use the road, are insured to cover his medical bills if he causes an accident and fully tested and licensed in an MOT'd roadworthy car
Old 22 February 2007, 01:51 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Rannoch, Sorry got a bit ahead of myself. When they do shut it the chaos will be even worse. G/F has to do York from the A1079 twice a week and she's pretty fed up with it. Not sure what they're doing with the road closure near Clifford Tower but it certainly screws York up bigtime.

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:53 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Sooooo glad I don't work in York anymore! Used to take me well over an hour every day to do the 18 miles from Selby to the North side of York (worked on Bootham) and you could EASILY double it when the races were on! Don't get me started on the A19 between Selby & York in rush hours either, is simply a 30mph road train all the way! Really happy that i'm missing the wonder that is the FTR bus (and all the road changes that resulted) too LOL!

Now work nearly 40 miles from home (Beverley), it takes me less than an hour and my blood pressure is normal when I arrive at work and again when I arrive home on a night.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:23 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Passed one last night who insisted on riding right in the middle of the lane At first I didn't mind as we were about to pass some parked cars, but after the obstruction he stayed right out and there was a gap of some 300 yards to the next parked cars. Saw an opportunity and went past him so close I nearly clipped him with the mirror. TW@T ! Lights, helmet and hi-vis.....and fecking awful attitude to other road users whom just happen to pay tax to use the road, are insured to cover his medical bills if he causes an accident and fully tested and licensed in an MOT'd roadworthy car
But that's like saying all Scooby drivers are morons who constantly have their fog lights on. May do, but not all.
I see idiot cyclists everyday, but I'm more likely to give someone a gob full for jumping a red light than to do it myself (it's nice to have a break sometimes anyway!). You know as well as anyone (and I qualified as a ADI) that many car drivers are complete idiots and just don't look before they act. As a cyclist you have to be very defensive.

Bike lanes in York are pathetic broken white lines for the most part. Not known for their protective quaity.

You also should consider the potential impact. You can stand at any junction in York - or virtually anywhere- and see drivers jumping red lights, and driving straight through pelicans. OK cyclists should do it, but the danger potential is far lower. As is the physical impact on the road - despite the age old road tax arguement. If you calculated it based on weight or emissions, it wouldn't be worth the paper it's writton on. My scooter costs £15 pa, and weight 4 times as much as my bike.

I'm amazed that a driving instructor has such an intollerent attitude to any other road users. I have no doubt that it rubs of on your pupils. You'll be well aware that nearly all accidents are caused by attitude.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The weight and emissions argument is irrelevant, they are road uers and hence should pay a proportion for that right IMHO. They should also be insured as the consequences of their actions can still incur a massive financial burden should they cause an accident, and they should be licensed and policed as they are still obliged to behave within the constraints of the Road Traffic Act and associated Highway Code. Their vulnerability whilst travelling on their preferred transport to me facilitates the requirement of age and qualification restrictions. I simply cannot believe that in a society with rules dictating the use of specific restraining methods for children within motor vehicles, that the same children are legally allowed to ride on the same roads as cars, buses and trucks on roads with limits up to 70mph on a device with as much necessary safety equipment as a banana. It is one of those situations which is only allowed because it always has been, but in truth should be tightened up and legislated to try and minimise risk. As I stated earlier, when I see a good cyclist I am truly surprised, and I teach in an area where they are numerous being the main student part of Leeds. The vast majority break the rules, take unnecessary risks and generally give cyclists the bad name which unfortunately they deserve, until at least the day when good cyclists outnumber the bad, but with no incentive out there to try and improve or control the situation that day is a long time coming.