Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tamiya experts

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 08:13 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Tamiya experts

Help, took my nephew out at the weekend with the TL-01s and now he's getting a quicker motor so i want to upgrade mine again

I've got a tamiya sports tuned motor at the moment with the TEU101BK esc but i'm looking for a quicker 1 which is compatible with the esc

I've seen some on ebay cheap but aren't sure whats quicker than the sports tuned

Super stock RZ - 23T
Super stock TZ - 23T
GT tuned motor - 25T

any help appreciated
Old 21 February 2007, 08:18 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something like a 12T double or a 14T double Modified motor ( by reedy or similar) would probly be considerably quicker ( although im out of the scene a bit and more into nitro now so i cant be 100%)
Old 21 February 2007, 08:27 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Help, took my nephew out at the weekend with the TL-01s and now he's getting a quicker motor so i want to upgrade mine again

I've got a tamiya sports tuned motor at the moment with the TEU101BK esc but i'm looking for a quicker 1 which is compatible with the esc

I've seen some on ebay cheap but aren't sure whats quicker than the sports tuned

Super stock RZ - 23T
Super stock TZ - 23T
GT tuned motor - 25T

any help appreciated
Hi any of the above motors will be quicker than the sports tuned motor u have, u just have to make sure the electronic speedo can take a faster motor as it will be drawin more current.
Speak to these people over the phone or by email very helpful (I'm sponsored by them to race 1/8th off road )
They all know there stuff

Models in Motion

Dan
Old 21 February 2007, 08:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have a 12 turn Reedy modified in my Dark Impact, goes pretty well but the higher turn motors need to run a lower ratio as they arent as torquey and rev higher, the stock gearing will overload the speed controller. 12 turn is a bit lairy even with 4wd.
Old 21 February 2007, 08:31 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies - got to get a quicker 1 as i can't have a 9yo whipping my ride
Old 21 February 2007, 08:34 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have a 12 turn Reedy modified in my Dark Impact, goes pretty well but the higher turn motors need to run a lower ratio as they arent as torquey and rev higher, the stock gearing will overload the speed controller. 12 turn is a bit lairy even with 4wd.
forgot to add - i've got the speed tuned gears, fully ballraced, thinking of carbon shaft (is it worth it?)
really want the quickest motor that the standard TEU101BK esc can handle
Old 21 February 2007, 08:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

always worth it!!

I'm just restoring an original Tamiya Frog (shelf queen), Hornet, and Manta Ray. Also got a Yokomo MR4 Rallye with a modded motor (pretty sure it's a 12T)

Building the Hornet and the Manta Ray for racing down at Borth beach in the Summer

Any suggestions on suppliers of the vintage kit (sorry to thread hijack!)

Dan
Old 21 February 2007, 08:39 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
forgot to add - i've got the speed tuned gears, fully ballraced, thinking of carbon shaft (is it worth it?)
really want the quickest motor that the standard TEU101BK esc can handle
Don't think the carbon shaft does much althou the std shaft is heavy. Not too sure on the speedo, have to see if you can find any details on it through google?
Old 21 February 2007, 08:43 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Knighty99
Don't think the carbon shaft does much althou the std shaft is heavy. Not too sure on the speedo, have to see if you can find any details on it through google?
looking at description it says the esc has a 23T limit

it look like i'm down to either Super stock RZ or TZ although i can't see the differences?
Old 21 February 2007, 08:45 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
always worth it!!

I'm just restoring an original Tamiya Frog (shelf queen), Hornet, and Manta Ray. Also got a Yokomo MR4 Rallye with a modded motor (pretty sure it's a 12T)

Building the Hornet and the Manta Ray for racing down at Borth beach in the Summer

Dan
Try googleing 'Tamiya Club' i'm sure there is a site called this which can help?
Old 21 February 2007, 08:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Get a new ESC !
Old 21 February 2007, 09:15 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you get a 12 -14t motor, an esc capable of running it will be expensive, and the motor will dramatically reduce your run times.

I saw someone running a vintage Tamiya and was impressed with how fast it was, i assumed he was running a brushless set-up. It turned out it was running a Tamiya RZ, with a std Tamiya ESC!!
I now have RZ motors in a couple of my cars, and people can't believe that they are 23T motors. Unbelievably fast, long run times, ability to use a cheep esc, and much smoother than low-turn motors.

Get one, you won't regret it!!!
Old 21 February 2007, 09:21 PM
seab
Scooby Regular

I would get a decent stock tuned motor (27x1) get an ESC (forward only) dont waste money on carbon prop shafts.

Or use the money and get a differnt touring car. My fav touring car is the TC3, they can be had very cheap these days.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:35 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

always worth it!!

Dan
I recently restored my Tamiya 1/12th Porsche 959 - it was in a sorry state as I got it when I was about 7 years old and as you can imagine - I trashed it. I have carried out a full restoration on it and the only place I got parts from was Ebay - lots of sellers on there selling genuine gear - I sourced parts from UK, US, Australia, Japan and Korea - cost me a small fortune but the car is in as new condition now, fully boxed and even has a new genuine body (I have not painted this yet and dont think I will - lets just say it cost 3 figures)
Old 21 February 2007, 11:16 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

The 959 shell is bit of a bitch to paint, and the decals are impossible to apply without creases! I'd leave it clear if it cost that much.
I payed crazy money for an Egress shell last year, and when it didn't turn out quite right i nearly cried!

BTW, just done a bit of research and the RZ motor is more high rev, low torque for sprint and fast circuits. The TZ motor is high torque with slightly lower revs, for slower circuits and endurance etc
Old 21 February 2007, 11:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Reedy or Trinity modifieds are the way to go for outright power and speed. But they guzzle your batteries, melts your wires and blow your speed controller (when the caps break off). (I have two ESCs with a voltage regulator glued to the side; after the internal one blew )

I have an oddball modified lying round (as well as my 12T and 16T)...a 14quad Mr K! Revs sky high and just keeps going and going but still has plenty of torque, great if you have a couple of tennis courts to drag up and down

If you want to keep the battery life go for a stock (anything except Tamiya imo). Alternatively a modified with alot of turns say a 20t double, then you have the advantage of proper ballrace bearings as opposed to bushes etc.

Last edited by Shark Man; 21 February 2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 21 February 2007, 11:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Get a new ESC !
Old 22 February 2007, 08:04 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

go buy a nitro that will put his nose out of joint when you fire it up lol
Old 22 February 2007, 08:10 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I have two Falcons (from memory) and a friend will still have a Boomerang I think... If theyre worth any money I'll dig them out of my parents loft.
I feel so guilty when I think of them. My parents bought me and my brother one each one xmas. Paid the shop to build them as we were only young - It was about 1988. Charged them for ages, took them outside and less than 10 mins later, battery died... The norm in those days
So we pushed them round the house for the rest of xmas day before they became dust collectors on our respective bedroom floors...
Old 22 February 2007, 09:15 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I have two Falcons (from memory) and a friend will still have a Boomerang I think... If theyre worth any money I'll dig them out of my parents loft.
I feel so guilty when I think of them. My parents bought me and my brother one each one xmas. Paid the shop to build them as we were only young - It was about 1988. Charged them for ages, took them outside and less than 10 mins later, battery died... The norm in those days
So we pushed them round the house for the rest of xmas day before they became dust collectors on our respective bedroom floors...
That's tragic, you unappreciating waste of space!
We got through loads in the late 80s, but well used. Saw a Hornet and Frog yesterday - tempted to get both! Obviously aimed at 30 somethings buying them for the kids and to wallow in nostalgia. Not sure my 3 year old is quire ready.
Loved my Boomerang. My brother had a HotShot2, which was was ace. Also a Venessas Lunchbox, big van jobby on a monster truck chasis. Weird.

Yes, 10 minutes was good going in them days...
Old 22 February 2007, 09:23 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Get a new ESC !
Brushless motor and LiPo batteries
Old 22 February 2007, 09:28 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'm just restoring an original Tamiya Frog (shelf queen),
I was thinking of restoring my old Frog too. I guess with the re-release of the Frog alot of the new bits may be compatible with the old one. Having looked on the web site at the manuals its seems very similar to my Frog of old.

Also found this eBay.co.uk Shop - Tony's Tamiya Parts: Subaru Brat Lancia Rally, Frog:
on eBay for old bits. Sure there are other sellers too.
Old 22 February 2007, 09:39 AM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

Hi Robby,

I am a bit of a Tamiya nerd and member of Tamiyaclub.com. I currently run an Impreza TL01 with lots of hop ups:

Speed tuned gears,
Carbon shafts all round,
Bearings,
Teflon oil dampers,
Universal Shafts,
LA suspension kit
etc...

I currently run a GT Tuned 25T motor and with a 19T pinion and its pretty quick (has no probs holding its own against TB01's with RZ\TZ motors). With a 23T the ratio allows even more top speed.

Try this link: TamiyaUSA.com - TL-01 XB (Extreme Built) by Brian Matteson

hope this helps

M.

Last edited by mr flibble; 22 February 2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more blah
Old 22 February 2007, 10:44 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to Hijack but I just need a little advice, I have a TL-01 Classic Imprezza WRC, a few weeks after building one of the lads at work lost control of it on our shinny concrete warehouse floor and it hit a pallet, snapping the chassis near the front suspension, leaving the offside wheel flapping about, I just need the plastic chassis to repair it, everything else should bolt on, is this what I should be buying ??

Tamiya TL01 Chassis

Theres no picture and it's the only link I could find for the chassis, the reason I ask is its 10.99 and they are going for £18+ +P&P on Flea bay

Thanks for any advice
Old 22 February 2007, 11:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Have been out the seen for a while. Does anyone run 19T Super Stocks?

My club ran SS as mods were too fast for our small track laying area. Having said that I ran a SS motor in an Academy off-roader (was trying out chassis) and I gave a lad running a Losi XXX4 with mod motor a complete pasting.

Can Tamiya 'boxes take these low winds mentioned? Always thought you'd eat the gears using mods.

I miss my 1/8 Kyosho
Old 22 February 2007, 12:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Edd, my Dark impact is running a 12 turn and the gears are holding up fine, if they break I will replace them with upgrated parts, life is a lot easier now with having more than 2 quid a week and Ebay, we used to be out of action for months when we were kids if we broke anything.

As for run time, I have two 3300 mah nimh batteries, they last quite a while, long enough to get bored or break something anyway.

Will either go brushless or Nitro next, the eldest seems to have already claimed my Christmas present (the Dark Impact that is), he is pretty good with it, can control it even with the 12t in it, in fact its probably more predictable than our old Hornet with a 540 in it, was going to get another Hornet but had a go of a lads at work (Burgerking on here, hi Steve) and it was fun but I realised how limited they are and I didnt want it just to be a nostalgia purchase.

The DI is already looking satisfyingly second hand, it will get a fettling when my new workshop has been completed.
Old 22 February 2007, 06:49 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

wow quite a few sugestions

i've had 2 nitro cars in the past but got fed up with trying to start them, keeping them running and the mess (fuel)
i've just got 2 new Tamiya esc so want to keep with these (use 1 and have a nother as spare) so don't want to upgrade

Steve - so is the RZ ok with the tamiya TEU101Bk esc? is it noticeably quicker than the sports tuned RS540?
Old 22 February 2007, 07:00 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

www.tamiyaclub.com
Old 22 February 2007, 08:59 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

always worth it!!

Dan
you cant beat borth beach for a bit of rc action was it you racing my mom in her rover 200 summer just gone, have you got a caravan down that or something?
Old 22 February 2007, 09:49 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Fort
The 959 shell is bit of a bitch to paint, and the decals are impossible to apply without creases! I'd leave it clear if it cost that much.
I payed crazy money for an Egress shell last year, and when it didn't turn out quite right i nearly cried!

BTW, just done a bit of research and the RZ motor is more high rev, low torque for sprint and fast circuits. The TZ motor is high torque with slightly lower revs, for slower circuits and endurance etc
Yeah mate - its been sat there all packaged up for a couple of years now, and I think its gonna stay that way, you can get a good replica for £35ish now anyway Got both the Racing and the Jap Rothmans decals for it too. Looks kind of good with the clear shell on anyway - you can see all the chassis

Quick Reply: Tamiya experts