Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Traffic wardens

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2007, 10:38 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic wardens

Ok when you walk back to your car and a traffic warden is writing a ticket and he says "sorry ive already started writing it i cant let you off now" is this true or just a policy they use to nick as many people as they can?
Old 10 March 2007, 10:41 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

No, it's a lie.

The ticket is not considered "served" unless it is placed on the vehicle.
Old 10 March 2007, 11:02 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Thanks !
thats put my mind at rest a little as i called him a bellend and told him too go get a proper job and was feeling a little guilty about it hehe.My front wheel was just over the double yellows So what if he has already slaped the ticket on ? does he have the power to revoke it then? or is it "out of his hands" as they put it.
Old 10 March 2007, 11:26 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

They are all *******s, he will finish the ticket then bin it, you will then get a bigger bill in the post !
Fekers the lot of em !
Old 10 March 2007, 11:28 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

Yep.
I came back during loading an item.
Warden was writing a ticket, I told him I was loading and late for work. He said f*ck all.
I drove off.
They tried to serve me, but I said - show me the picture of the ticket on the car - and gave them the details.
Have yet to hear back from them. This was 7 months ago.
Not sure about if he has already put one on though :/
Old 11 March 2007, 02:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Wish
They are all *******s, he will finish the ticket then bin it, you will then get a bigger bill in the post !
Fekers the lot of em !
Yeah, awful the way they penalise illegal parking You dont get as ticket unless your parking like a tw@t or just cant drive...
16 years of driving and never a ticket... It's not hard to work out that's something to do with me being able to park in the right place...
They're not *******, they're just taxing the simple... HTH
Old 11 March 2007, 02:19 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Well i opened my blinds on new years morning at abot 7.30 in the morning to find a traffic warden giving a ticket to a car that had less than half a wheel on the double yellows.
Thats taking the **** big time if you ask me , Most of em are *******, are working to a quota and will look for the slightest discrepancy in peoples parking.Its a well known fact that its a great revenue generator for the council involved.
Old 11 March 2007, 02:42 PM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Yeah, awful the way they penalise illegal parking You dont get as ticket unless your parking like a tw@t or just cant drive...
16 years of driving and never a ticket... It's not hard to work out that's something to do with me being able to park in the right place...

How true!

I bet none of you have whinged about lazy people parking right outside a take-away on a friday night blocking the road

Don't get me wrong i've had a couple over the years, do the crime do the time!
Old 11 March 2007, 02:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Couple of you obviously don't live in major metropolitan areas then. I'm moving out of London soon partly because I will do something stupid to a traffic warden.
Old 11 March 2007, 02:46 PM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbomatt
Well i opened my blinds on new years morning at abot 7.30 in the morning to find a traffic warden giving a ticket to a car that had less than half a wheel on the double yellows.
Thats taking the **** big time if you ask me , Most of em are *******, are working to a quota and will look for the slightest discrepancy in peoples parking.Its a well known fact that its a great revenue generator for the council involved.
Have to agree with the revenue making bit

In my local town the Police gave up the right to issue parking tickets and gave the job to the local council who bumped the price up from £30.00 to £60.00!!!
Old 11 March 2007, 03:44 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i had a ticket from that euo car parks in tescos about 2 years ago just threw it in the bin never heard a thing about it
Old 13 March 2007, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Just had a row with a mini hitler type in Sainsburys car park operated by Euro Cap Parks. I had dropped the Mrs off outside the front door and she was only getting one item for our son so went and pulled into the pick up point round the corner. The **** of a car park warden comes over and tells me to park in a bay or I get a ticket. I pulled away so not to get a ticket as arguing the the fact I was picking the Mrs up would have given him time to put a ticket on the window but stupidly couldn't resist telling him to **** off as I pulled off.

Anyway parked up outside of the car park and waited for the Mrs to walk over as she was coming out the shop as I had to pull off - i.e. I was picking her up and justified for being in the pick up point Anyway couldn't let it lie so got out the car and went over to confront the **** and got the store manager invovled. Threatening to give me a £70 parking ticket because I was in the car in a pick up point waiting to pick the Mrs up is taking the p!ss. Anyway bottom line is the store manager backed the **** up all the way (worked together for 15 years so no surprise there) and the Euro Car Parks bloke has said he is reporting my registration for a parking offence and abusive behaviour

Look forward to that one as they can take me to court for it for all I care, not paying them a penny. Their website makes laughable reading on customer service ECP quality Whats a pick up point for if you can't pull into it and pick someone up?
Only worry is that Billy's sad sacks have now given bailiffs full right of entry so that they can break your door down to get into your property now where before you could refuse them entry. This will be to facilitate collecting fines and council tax off those who refuse to pay! There will be more of this sort of thing to come of course,especially since they have abolished the Privy Council on the quiet.

Les
Old 13 March 2007, 12:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
No, it's a lie.

The ticket is not considered "served" unless it is placed on the vehicle.

I believe this is the case as i have driven off 4+ times whilst athe ticket is being written and not had any cmback. Last time was 3 years or so ago.

Scumbag wardens do try to keep you there inasmuch as they wil not actually tell you to drive of before they issue the ticket and will happily engage you in conversation as they fill it out.

IMHO - Scumbag job done by scumbag people, there are other jobs out there for e employable people!
All bollox about freeing up town centres and keeping the traffic moving, al to do with the money!
Old 13 March 2007, 12:38 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

In short, if its the police (Police Officer, PCSO, Traffic Warden) you have to sit there and take the ticket. If its a non police issued ticket, then if they have your details (especially tax details) then you are best to take the ticket as it will cost you less.

I'm not a legal expert on this, but I do believe that it depends on the actual type of warden and the area that they operate in.

Traffic Warden is a term used to describe a person employed by the police to give parking tickets. They use the same powers as Police Officers, and Police Community Support Officers to issue parking tickets.

The law was changed in the last few years to protect police officers in their duties. This change means that as soon as they start to write the ticket, the ticket is live. You can drive off as much as you like, but as long as they manage to record sufficient information you will have to pay.

The obvious reason that the law was changed was because people were wheel spinning off into traffic to try and stop the officer from placing the ticket on the vehicle, or in the possession of the driver. This was deemed to be dangerous for the officer, driver and other members of the public that could be involved in some collision. It was also deemed appropriate that a police officer/PCSO/Trafffic warden was capable of determining that the offence had been committed. It would be like watching a burglar run off, and then say you cannot prosecute them as you did not serve them a notice at the scene.

Parking Attendants enforce parking restrictions under a different set of rules. There are the council employed wardens, and the type of people you find in store car parks. I don't full understand the rules that they use, but I do know that different councils have different policies. Some say the ticket is live from the moment the warden starts to write it, some say it has to be served.

In either way, the practical implication is that police parking ticket is of fixed cost (£30 or £50), and you nearly always are contacted by them through the post with an opportunity to pay at the original cost once you are outside of the 28 day time limit. Additional costs are levied if you refuse to pay, or defend the ticket after this.

Non police issued parking tickets are civil penalties. They often have discounts for fast payment. If you screech off into the distance you wont have the ticket. You wont have a chance to pay the lower amount. The council will try and sting you for the higher non-discounted amount. You will have to defend, possibly going to court incurring even more expense. You may win, you may not.
Old 13 March 2007, 12:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just had a row with a mini hitler type in Sainsburys car park operated by Euro Cap Parks. I had dropped the Mrs off outside the front door and she was only getting one item for our son so went and pulled into the pick up point round the corner. The **** of a car park warden comes over and tells me to park in a bay or I get a ticket. I pulled away so not to get a ticket as arguing the the fact I was picking the Mrs up would have given him time to put a ticket on the window but stupidly couldn't resist telling him to **** off as I pulled off.
Westminster scum have personal recorders now so you have to watch what you say. I still called him a c*** though, pretty sure I would have had a visit from police if I'd really let rip - none of them speak English and I'm sure they are all illegals working for a didgy company that got the contract with the council.

I've seen them pull up on their scooters at 6:28, and actually run up and down the cars to see if they have paid the meter before free parking kicks in at 6:30.
Old 13 March 2007, 12:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Northampton now has 0 free parking in the town and when they introduced this they then employed wardens to enforce it. So they removed all the free parking so you had to pay, they then knick you if you park outside these areas or overstay so you pay one way or another.

There are literally hordes of traffic wardens, shame they did not see fit to invest the money in the Police and new PC's ans we have a lot of petty and not so crime

I voted with my feet and usually shop out of town or in MK.

Off my soapbox now!

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 March 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Fair comes to Northampton - out of town nr the old Avon building, not much parking around. familese go go the fair and park on the wide verge on one side of the road, this is a 7+ PM. come back to find their cars ticketted!

All about the money!
Old 13 March 2007, 01:12 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Anyway parked up outside of the car park and waited for the Mrs to walk over as she was coming out the shop as I had to pull off - i.e. I was picking her up and justified for being in the pick up point Anyway couldn't let it lie so got out the car and went over to confront the **** and got the store manager invovled. Threatening to give me a £70 parking ticket because I was in the car in a pick up point waiting to pick the Mrs up is taking the p!ss. Anyway bottom line is the store manager backed the **** up all the way (worked together for 15 years so no surprise there) and the Euro Car Parks bloke has said he is reporting my registration for a parking offence and abusive behaviour

Look forward to that one as they can take me to court for it for all I care, not paying them a penny. Their website makes laughable reading on customer service ECP quality Whats a pick up point for if you can't pull into it and pick someone up?
If he watched what you did I can kind of see his point. Depending on how busy the store was it could have taken ages for her to get through the tills and back out. That's the only reasonable reason I can think for him to do it.

Let us know when the ASBO comes through though - LOL.

J.
Old 13 March 2007, 01:28 PM
Quatto
Scooby Regular

Where I used to work. The local long stay car park's hours of charging was geared so it was cheap if below eight hours. Fine unless you work nine to five, where the price almost doubled, and you would only be there for an extra ten minutes or so! To add insult, parking was free after six o'clock so doubling the rates for the extra hour was extortion.

So, most people would park up as late as they could and pay the eight hours and try to finish work early. The traffic wardens knew this. Typically, the clock on the ticket machines ran a few minutes slow too, and no doubt the warden's penalty machine ran on time (or probably fast). So, at quarter to five every afternoon there they were in a group, registation numbers and expiry times of the cars already jotted down on note pads ready so they could place tickets on cars which expired at 4:58pm within seconds of the time elapsing, knowing that the drivers would not be able to get there in time. Disgusting behaviour.

What ended up happening in my office was I, as well as many others used to park in the side streets (pay and display) outside the office first thing in the morning in view of the window on our floor. As the wardens didn't start doing the rounds until about ten o'clock, we didn't pay. Then we would go off on a coffee/*** break and move the cars to the long stay car park knowing that we would be within the hours and saving us five pounds a day for doing so LOL. Boss was not happy about this, but he agreed it was a farce engineered to extract money from people who drove to work (he had his own private space on site, typical).

Unfortunately, the wardens got wise to this and started doing their rounds earlier. So some of us got ticketed in the street and when a warden was spotted there was a mad rush of people exiting the office like it was on fire, leaving the place like the Mary Celeste to move their cars. Again, the Boss was definetely not happy about that LOL!

I wonder if these wardens are aware of the chaos they caused? LOL. Its not as if there was any other option but to drive a car either, as the bus service is pathetic and there is no nearby train station. That's Blair's Britain for you, penalise the motorist for driving to work yet give them no viable alternative!
Old 13 March 2007, 01:35 PM
mark engers
BANNED

It was as soon as the store opened at 11am, the till receipt being at 11.03 and kept it ready to tell Euro Car Parks where to go if I get anything in the post.
The point is that they didn't know you weren't just sitting in the car on your backside whilst you sent your wench in to do the weekly shop. Perhaps if you had taken the time to explain rather than telling him to foxtrot oscar he would have been more amenable to your explanation.

That said, at our local supermarket the 'pickup' point has a sign saying maximum waiting time of 10 minutes. If yours is the same then I would have made a point of simply winding the window up, turning up the stereo and waiting for the full ten minutes whilst the jobsworth hopped around outside. This, I'm sure you will agree, is a much more dignified method of dealing with it than your tantrum.
Old 13 March 2007, 02:08 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
The law was changed in the last few years to protect police officers in their duties. This change means that as soon as they start to write the ticket, the ticket is live. You can drive off as much as you like, but as long as they manage to record sufficient information you will have to pay.
What about unscrupulous Wardens who issue tickets for cars not even parked?
Old 13 March 2007, 02:13 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I understand where your coming from but I bet you dont live in inner city london
Old 13 March 2007, 02:42 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by AudiLover
I understand where your coming from but I bet you dont live in inner city london
LOL... No I dont. I live in the north. Northern boys love gravy

I wouldnt be a traffic warden for all the tea in yorkshire...
Old 13 March 2007, 03:36 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

I have a flat in the westminister area, very near Portland Place. Ive often see the little f**kers pulling up at 6:29, quickly slapping on tickets.

A month or so ago, whilst unloading a hired van, one of the little f**kers started to write a ticket, but we had finished, so got in and drove off. No paper ticket etc, thought nothing of it.

Couple of weeks later, ticket comes through the post. So, I write in and appeal, as I have no paper evidence, and the picture the warden takes is online, shows us getting into the van to leave. Argued the case for a few days and got let off. So, cant be that bad.

Many years ago, when they used to use the paper notepad approach, I watched one warden ticket about 3 cars at 6:29. As he walked off, he drop his notebook, so I went over and picked it up.

20 mins later, I watched the guy come running back, looking for it. ( Basically I was in a pub, getting well pi55ed with some rugby mates ). Laughing our heads off, we called out to the chap, asking if it was this he was looking for, waving the book. He came over to us, all innocent looking etc, asking for it back. I gave him a bollocking saying that he was a right c**t for giving out tickets at 6:29, on a quiet Saturday evening, and to therefore tear up the ones he did earlier, which he did.

However, when I was about to give the book back, one of the guys I was with, a good 6.7ft block of muscle, deicded "f**K that", grab the book, tore it to pieces. Therefore voiding all the guys tickets / commissions for the day.

Amazing really, as whilst we had his book, he had ticked over 300 people in a 8:30am - 6:30pm period !!!

SBK
Old 13 March 2007, 03:44 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
VERY TRUE... THEY CANT DO *** ALL TO YOU... AS LONG AS ITS NOT ON THE CAR... & THEY HAVENT TAKEN A PICTURE FOR IT !!!!

YOU CAN GET AWAY ALL DAY LONG FOR IT

Quick Reply: Traffic wardens