NYC - Step on, step off bus - 2 day pass - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2007, 07:46 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC - Step on, step off bus - 2 day pass - Recommendations

Hello all,

Going to NYC end of the month, went a few years back with wifey, so know all the sights and stuff, but this time I'm taking my Mother and Father-in-Law. Both pensioners... plus my young son... so whilst we walked the length and breadth last time, for this trip, walking is out of the question.

And I'm not paying for loads of cabs.

Looking for a bus/tour company where we can just buy something like a 2 day pass and hop on, hop off whenever we want, (not on the same bus... but the same bus company, if you know what I mean).

Loads of companies found in Google, but looking for anyone who's done similar and what their recommendations are please.

Ta!
Old 11 March 2007, 08:32 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Do you mean similar to those tourist buses that start in picadilly circus which take you round all the sights?

There are a couple I have seen in manhattan, but tbh I have never really payed attention to them. I know there is one that goes down Bleeker St in the village with something like 'downtown loop' on the side- I often see it there- will keep my eyes open. The hell that is Times Squared would probably be a good bet for picking one up....

edit- I was right- Gray line Downtown Loop: Gray Line Downtown Loop Bus Tour New York City.com : Guided Tours : Editorial Review

Subway card (metrocard) works on MTA buses too and there are plenty of them..... or just use the subway?
You will have to do some walking at any rate- no way around that in the city if you don't want to use a cab/car service.

Last edited by Freak; 11 March 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:38 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Do you mean similar to those tourist buses that start in picadilly circus which take you round all the sights?

There are a couple I have seen in manhattan, but tbh I have never really payed attention to them. Will keep my eyes open. The hell that is Times Squared would probably be a good bet for picking one up....

Subway card (metrocard) works on MTA buses too and there are plenty of them..... or just use the subway?
You will have to do some walking at any rate- no way around that in the city if you don't want to use a cab/car service.

Thanks Freak, yeah, I know we'll have to do some walking, but I can't expect them to be on their feet all day, they've never been to New York so I want them to get the most out of a long weekend.

I don't think I'm after the guided tour buses, just an easy way of getting them around to the hot spots I guess? Then we can jump off... safe in the knowledge that there will be another along in 30 minutes or something? I suppose a bit like London?? Just not sure what's best to do in NYC?
Old 11 March 2007, 08:41 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

see my edit above- you quoted me before i edited with link
Old 11 March 2007, 09:04 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
see my edit above- you quoted me before i edited with link
Checking it out now, thanks.
Old 11 March 2007, 09:53 PM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

We were there two weeks ago, the Gray Line all loops tickets - unlimited two day travel were $49 each. Well worth doing, if you can stand the yacking of the tour guide You can get all over the city, over to Brooklyn and there's even a night tour you can do.
They stop at Central Park, most places on 7th Avenue, easy to spot the red double decker buses. We just waived them down & hopped on in stopped traffic. They seem to run every 15 - 20 minutes during the day until about 6:30. p.m.
Old 11 March 2007, 10:09 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old Farquar
We were there two weeks ago, the Gray Line all loops tickets - unlimited two day travel were $49 each. Well worth doing, if you can stand the yacking of the tour guide You can get all over the city, over to Brooklyn and there's even a night tour you can do.
They stop at Central Park, most places on 7th Avenue, easy to spot the red double decker buses. We just waived them down & hopped on in stopped traffic. They seem to run every 15 - 20 minutes during the day until about 6:30. p.m.
Sounds good... except the tour guide Did you book before you went or buy when you got there?
Old 12 March 2007, 12:41 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Stick with the red ones and not the blue/yellow ones.

The red company have 20x more buses than their recently started rival company, as will become evident when you see the volume of red ones in Manhatten.

You can get good value deals, with uptown tours, downtown tours, night tour including Brooklyn and you also get cheap Empire State tickets, Ellis Island Ferry tickets and some other stuff. Well worth the money and a great wasy of getting about Manhatten.
Old 12 March 2007, 12:52 AM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

Sounds good... except the tour guide Did you book before you went or buy when you got there?
We bought there, from the hotel. I think you can buy on the bus as well.