Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV LICENSE WHAT THE HELL?

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2007, 11:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TV LICENSE WHAT THE HELL?

Today is a day of rest! it is SUNDAY after all. so i go to sit myself down to watch some top quality tv in which I and all of you pay for and guess what?

THERE IS **** ALL ON!

why oh why are we forced to pay a substancial amount of money for the drivel the BBC produce?

why is CRUFTS 2007 on?

what is the point of Comic Relief Fame Academy?

Kombat Opera Presents? WFT?

Where is my right as a License payer to find out and more than likely disagree to funding this bull**** that they put on?

And just because im on a rant, WHY on earth is Forza Motorsport 2 taking so long to be released? not really the BBC's fault but i'll blame them anyway!

Your thoughts are welcome
Old 12 March 2007, 12:33 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bout time the bbc had adverts and better programs!
Old 12 March 2007, 02:51 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
why is CRUFTS 2007 on?
Like it or not, people love dogs. Crufts is one of the biggest shows at the NEC each year.
Old 12 March 2007, 04:09 AM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

Could be worse mate.
There could be football on
Old 12 March 2007, 08:38 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
bout time the bbc had adverts and better programs!
The BBC produce some of the best quality television in the world; thank God for the lack of adverts!
Old 12 March 2007, 09:09 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by JTaylor
The BBC produce some of the best quality television in the world; thank God for the lack of adverts!
I agree. They have consistently for decades provided us with the best sit coms of all time, quality drama, such as Life On Mars currently. Excellent childrens programming, and until the recent climate change drivel, an excellent news service. Their sports coverage has been lacking due to funding but we still get MOTD which compared to its ITV replacement attempt is leaps and bounds above. It's documentaries and factual programming is also second to none...

I do agree though, last nights schedule was pants. I watched things on the sky+ planner... Coincidentally things I had recorded from the BBC

Each to their own I guess...
Old 12 March 2007, 09:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

personally wondering if and when digital tv is used properly, will it effect how the licence people check for people not having a valid licence?

i thought i read that you could pick up the stations anywhere with a tv card, rendering the whole "we can see your CRT tube signal through walls" argument a bit flawed

even though we all pretty much know that they cant do this at all and the licence vans just have a large list of addresses inside ?
Old 12 March 2007, 10:09 AM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Old 12 March 2007, 11:23 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The BBC may have produced some of the best programs in the past but they cant compete with the choice of programs offered by SKY etc at the moment.
My feeling is that if it wasn't funded by means of the ever increasing fee it would have gone under !
Wish there was a legal opt out

Richard
Old 12 March 2007, 11:29 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

the way i see it is we view tv though the services of sky or virgin etc it shouldnt be us that pays it should be the sky providers etc
Old 12 March 2007, 11:31 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

There are too many people in the UK who do not realise how lucky they are having the BBC. Television in the rest of the world is absolutely dire, and it constantly interupted by **** adverts.

To have some idea of who bad it is, turn off your pop up blockers and try using the internet. That's what TV is like everywhere else.

I only have to think back to the number of complaints about adverts appearing on this forum and everyone demanding to know how to get rid of them.

The BBC is wonderful, and the licence fee is a very small price to pay for it.
Old 12 March 2007, 11:36 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The BBC is an incredibly important institution for many reasons. However, primary among these are two main factors

(i)Impartiality. Givne the way the BBC is funded, it is impossible for external corporations to put pressure on the BBC. Taking motor review shows as an example, fifth gear is at the mercy of advertisers - Give a Volkswagen a bad review? Bye-bye advertising revenue.

(ii)Non-populist programmes. Because the BBC is not reliant on viewing figures, as Sky, ITV and othe rcommerical channels are, they can put on programming that may only interest 20% of the viewing public. THe original poster complained that Coifts 2007 was on, but it will be of interest to some people, and because it is the BBC it is not a commercial risk to broadcast it - Would ITV do it? Not a chance.

Channel four is almost the same, whilst being self-funded through advertising etc, it is effectively, state owned.

Of course the other benefits of the license fee include the quite excellent Radio 4 (not to mention the other 6 national stations and countless local ones) the website which has absolutely tons of information and downloads on it.

For a subscription fee of effectively £12 per month for 10 odd channels, 7 radio stations and the website, I think it represnts pretty good value for money.
Old 12 March 2007, 11:41 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
personally wondering if and when digital tv is used properly, will it effect how the licence people check for people not having a valid licence?

i thought i read that you could pick up the stations anywhere with a tv card, rendering the whole "we can see your CRT tube signal through walls" argument a bit flawed

even though we all pretty much know that they cant do this at all and the licence vans just have a large list of addresses inside ?
But when you buy a TV card (or any device capable of receiving a TV signal) don't you have to supply your address so they can check that you have a license?
Old 12 March 2007, 11:41 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
The BBC is wonderful, and the licence fee is a very small price to pay for it.
Err no not in my eyes, Your not a BBC employee are you ?
Why does the fee increase and the quality of the programs decrease ?

Would not mimd it if the BBC had adverts - infact they do already as advertise their own programs !

Richard
Old 12 March 2007, 11:46 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

3 rugby internationals, 3 FA cup quarter finals and all you can do is whine?
Old 12 March 2007, 11:59 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
3 rugby internationals, 3 FA cup quarter finals and all you can do is whine?
And for the sake of the argument if you had no interest in the above - or indeed they are shown on SKY at the same time or before coverage on BBC and offer facilities such as changing the viewing angle then your argument is very poor in my eyes !
Sorry but it about time the BBC bucked their ideas up !
Richard
Old 12 March 2007, 12:05 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

If it makes some of the people on here turn off the telly and read a book or something instead, then so much the better i say
Old 12 March 2007, 12:13 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Until I moved to Canada for a few years, I also begrudged paying (and successfully didn't for years) the TV licence. Now I happily pay for it.

In North America, 20 minutes of every hour is adverts. This ratio of adverts is the maximum considered tolerable. I found telly there almost unwatchable because of the frequency of adverts.
Old 12 March 2007, 12:42 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Sky would'nt be so bad if they cut the ad break duration, and staggered them across the channels.
Old 12 March 2007, 12:53 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
And for the sake of the argument if you had no interest in the above - or indeed they are shown on SKY at the same time or before coverage on BBC and offer facilities such as changing the viewing angle then your argument is very poor in my eyes !
Sorry but it about time the BBC bucked their ideas up !
Richard
Digi Box, does some top interactive stuff. One off payment and channels getting added all the time. Wait a few weeks and all the Sky One progs end up on Sky Three anyway.

BBC 3 and BBC 4 have some ace stuff and all the digital Radio Channels to boot. I think I am up to about 68 channels now and all I pay is the licence fee

Alternatively, get a life and go and get a hobby and stop getting square eyes and couch potato ****
Old 12 March 2007, 01:00 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Ha ha already have a digi box ! Dont actually spend that much time watching TV especially BBC as I feel its mostly rubbish !
Richard
Old 12 March 2007, 01:03 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

The problem with the licence fee is i'm paying for stuff i don't use.
I'm not interested in listening to the radio and quite a few of the programmes are just as bad as any other channel yet i'm having to pay for them (any 'celebrity' reality show are the worst).
The BBC do excel at nature programmes but that's about it imo.
Old 12 March 2007, 01:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Unless that external corpration happens to be the government - who are carrying out an 'assessment of the validity or otherwise of the license fee' - nah, that wouldn't cause them to lose their impartiality would it .... ??

Dave
The review has already been conducted, and as a result the license fee is going up by less than the BBC wanted (i.e. in line with inflation). Therefore I don't see where the pressure can be applied?

Aside from that, I would say the government get anything but an easy ride from the BBC.
Old 12 March 2007, 01:24 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

They sell viewing rights to all the decent programmes (planet earth, top gear etc) all round the world and they pay for themselves many times over. Also they have done deal to put clips on youtube and make loads more money from advertising that way.

All the license fee does is subsidise all the crap which nobody wants to buy anywhere else in the world and we would be better off without.

I hate the license fee.

Let's just take a look at what the guys earlier in the post are calling the best broadcaster in the world has got on its flagship channel right now and what was on a few hours ago It really is pure crap compared to some of the other sides

Morning

6:00 am
Breakfast

9:15 am
Beat the Bailiff

10:00 am
Escape to the Country

11:00 am
To Buy or Not to Buy

11:45 am
Cash in the Attic

Afternoon

12:15 pm
Bargain Hunt

1:00 pm
BBC News

1:28 pm
BBC London News

1:40 pm
Neighbours

2:05 pm
Doctors

2:35 pm
Comic Relief Does Car Booty

3:20 pm
BBC News

3:25 pm
Arthur

3:45 pm
Shaun the Sheep

4:00 pm
Whizz Whizz Bang Bang

4:30 pm
Comic Relief Does Fame Academy on CBBC

5:00 pm
MI High

5:30 pm
Newsround

5:35 pm
Neighbours

6:00 pm
BBC News

6:30 pm
BBC London News
Old 12 March 2007, 05:27 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey - don't knock Shaun the Sheep
Old 12 March 2007, 05:38 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by jbryant
Hey - don't knock Shaun the Sheep
Agreed, pity it's the ONLY thing worth watching.