9 Billion Quid for the Olympics

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2007, 07:44 PM
Rage!
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 9 Billion Quid for the Olympics

BBC NEWS | Politics | Olympics budget rises to £9.3bn

Just think of the good that money could be put to instead of shatting the lot of it on a glorified London park. It's a bloody disgrace.
Old 15 March 2007, 07:47 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive heard by the time its finsihed it could be close to £20bn

Sick ...... Should have given it to France.
Spend the monies on schools, NHS, Police.
Old 15 March 2007, 07:49 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

still less money than abramovich has.
Old 15 March 2007, 07:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Money well spent, London and the South East needs it...............oh no, sorry, they don't, the rest of the UK does

OK it's Blair's legacy then..............oh no, that's a country that can't afford to send English kids to university, but can send British kids to an illegal war to die

Alcazar
Old 15 March 2007, 08:00 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

"British kids to an illegal war to die" Kids ?????? what paper do you read ( ) the Sun ???
Old 15 March 2007, 08:05 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Money well spent, London and the South East needs it...............oh no, sorry, they don't, the rest of the UK does
Not just the South East, the Sailing events are coming our way
Old 15 March 2007, 08:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

9 billion or 20 billion

man i doubt the olympics will generate that money fae tourists
Old 15 March 2007, 08:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
still less money than abramovich has.
Sorry to digress but.....

Apparently Chelsea's game this Saturday has been cancelled as Mrs Abramovitch gets the players at weekends (Courtesy of Matt, Telegraph).

Did anyone suggest a European Olympics with say half a dozen countries involved and doing different sports? It's just getting a joke now for one country to fund. dl
Old 16 March 2007, 12:45 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

£20bn no probs in the next 5 years - might have to up that soon - watch this space
Old 16 March 2007, 09:57 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Olympic games £20Bn
Trident Replacement £20bn

Hmmm.... I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere and I'm sure it's on us!
Old 16 March 2007, 10:01 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Olympic games £20Bn
Trident Replacement £20bn

Hmmm.... I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere and I'm sure it's on us!
That's no javelin

*boom*
Old 16 March 2007, 10:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I do think the money could be better spent. I do feel that spending the money on grass roots sports and athletes all over the UK is a better use.

Anyone with any common sense and certainly the sort of professinal people who put bids and submissions like this forward know this!
Frankliy i am shocked that the gov't did not realise that VAT would be charged and did not allow for it in the initial bid - what a joke!
That a strategic partner would needed at a further £400m

I understand that steel cost have doubled and that was unforseeable.

Announcing that there is a huge contingency is a stupid thing to do, the contractors will go out of their way to find ways of spending this money!

I do think that the intial bid was not well thought out along with due dilligence in this case. The priority was to win the olympics at any cost and sort out the problems once we had got it. Short sighted and wrong as we all have to pay for their irresponsible approach.

It does not seem like good use of public money. i would like to see 7.2bn invested in the UK, in sport, education and public services and regeneration, not just in London and not just for the 2012 olympics.

I would rather give up the olympics.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 March 2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 16 March 2007, 10:40 AM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

the real issue here is this:

1. either jowell, her team and the treasury completely f***ed up the costing for the bid, in which case incompetence. the VAT issue for example.

2. or they knew about the likely escalations, covered up the VAT additions, sat on them and made a fraudulent and dishonest bid to the IOC, lied to parliament and lied to the public in official statements.

incompetence or dishonesty? either way, if jowell had done this as the CEO of a private sector organisation, she would have been fired for (1) or fired, investigated and charged by the SFO for (2).

either way, she has to resign. why have both press and opposition missed this? it all beggars belief but is no longer a surprise. i expected better from seb coe.

i'd say £20bn is probably a fair estimate on the final cost. but we're locked in now so please can we not mess it up.

Old 16 March 2007, 11:00 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

2.2 billion comes from the national lottery, almost as much as the original 2.4 billion estimate. So much for it helping worthy causes then. Plunder plunder!
Old 16 March 2007, 11:05 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
"British kids to an illegal war to die" Kids ?????? what paper do you read ( ) the Sun ???
What, the men dieing aren't British? There have been no 19 year olds returned in boxes? NONE of them joined because there were few, if any other jobs? None of them WERE kids in the UK?

What the fek does it matter WHAT paper I do, or don't read: the facts are there: The Scottish kids get grants, voted in by the Scots parliament, English kids don't, voted in by Scottish MP's and ministers.

British MEN, (lads, kids, call them what you will, but at my age, anyone under 25 is still a kid), ARE dieing in Iraq and Agfghanistan. The UK CAN afford one, but apprently can't afford the other

Alcazar
Old 16 March 2007, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
What, the men dieing aren't British? There have been no 19 year olds returned in boxes? NONE of them joined because there were few, if any other jobs? None of them WERE kids in the UK?

What the fek does it matter WHAT paper I do, or don't read: the facts are there: The Scottish kids get grants, voted in by the Scots parliament, English kids don't, voted in by Scottish MP's and ministers.

British MEN, (lads, kids, call them what you will, but at my age, anyone under 25 is still a kid), ARE dieing in Iraq and Agfghanistan. The UK CAN afford one, but apprently can't afford the other

Alcazar
Spot on Alcazar!

The Olympics has now grown into a ridiculously expensive event and the corruption associated with it all must be quite frightening.

All the countries who take it on try to do better than the previous ones purely for show and the money that is thrown away and wasted on it is a crippling burden for any country that takes it on now. Basically the cash which will eventually be spent on the London Olympics is just not worth it and in fact it is a shameful situation which should never have been allowed to occur.

Its all very well saying that there will be regeneration of the sites etc. but what will happen to them when it is all finished. The stadiums in Greece are unused now And Spain is only just managing to catch up with the cost of the Barcelona Olympics. I foresee another load of Millenium Dome-like edifices which will be effectively useless after the event.

The best idea I heard was to hold the Olympics in Greece permanently and the countries to pay a reasonable amount to Greece to pay for the event being held there. That is where is all started of course anyway.

Jowell and her incompetent cronies must have picked a figure out of the air just to keep us all quiet in the first place. They should all be given the old "heave-ho" as would happen in any commercial enterprise and some truly competent people substituted for them. That is if the authorities are capable of finding anyone like that!

Les
Old 16 March 2007, 12:41 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Coe and Jowell - corrupt criminals of the highest order.

They are mugging all the worthy charities of their funds to finance their own pointless event.
Old 16 March 2007, 12:46 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Makes you wonder what will happen to the costs estimates for the ID card once it forced through and under way
Old 16 March 2007, 12:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Listened to Tesse Jowels (sp) on teh news last night and she said they have learnt from the dome and the money will come from various lottery arts funding etc but they are banking on recouping the money to pay back the lottery from selling off the olympic park and facilities after the games.

Why is the UK so keen to sell off the olympic stadiums and stuff, here in Munich the 1972 olympic park is still here and is a facilitiy for the public to use for sports events etc.

maybe if they kept the olympic park and used it to train athletes in the future the UK wouldn't be so sh1te at sports.
Old 16 March 2007, 12:54 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I don't see the problem. Money gets wasted every day by this government. At least this way we get to see what they're wasting it on.
Old 16 March 2007, 12:54 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Its hardly a 'green' project either ..........

2 faced *******s ......
Old 16 March 2007, 03:40 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost
the real issue here is this:

1. either jowell, her team and the treasury completely f***ed up the costing for the bid, in which case incompetence. the VAT issue for example.

2. or they knew about the likely escalations, covered up the VAT additions, sat on them and made a fraudulent and dishonest bid to the IOC, lied to parliament and lied to the public in official statements.

incompetence or dishonesty? either way, if jowell had done this as the CEO of a private sector organisation, she would have been fired for (1) or fired, investigated and charged by the SFO for (2).

either way, she has to resign. why have both press and opposition missed this? it all beggars belief but is no longer a surprise. i expected better from seb coe.

i'd say £20bn is probably a fair estimate on the final cost. but we're locked in now so please can we not mess it up.

On point 1 HG, IIRC, Jowell appeared on the Beeb news a month or two ago to say one reason the costs had risen were because the Gummint was still trying to buy the land for the Olympics when the final costings for the bid went in, they didn't have access to it to survey it and hence didn't know what it would cost
Old 16 March 2007, 03:51 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ChrisB
On point 1 HG, IIRC, Jowell appeared on the Beeb news a month or two ago to say one reason the costs had risen were because the Gummint was still trying to buy the land for the Olympics when the final costings for the bid went in, they didn't have access to it to survey it and hence didn't know what it would cost

christ-in-a-scooby. the government couldn't get access for a survey? forgot more like and left it too late. that's incompetence. the other gem of an excuse was 'unexpected rises in the price of steel'. huh? why weren't estimated min-max fluctuations factored in? it's blinding idiocy and just typical of the many social misfits that inhabit politics - not a grain of real world experience or sense between them. it's always us that picks up the tab when they f**k up. no wonder the US project manager brought in to run it resigned over fears of political interference and mismanagement...

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 16 March 2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 16 March 2007, 05:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Jowells said on the news that they realised to many politicians were getting involved and not really having a clue, so she laid down the ground rules and then stepped back leaving the technical stuff to the experts that had experience of delivering these types of projects on time and on budget. So technically as politicians never tell lies if it all goes **** up then it is the experts fault not the politicians.
Old 16 March 2007, 05:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Tessa Jowell - another one of Blairs croneys and will not ever realise or regognise ther responsibilty or complicity in this matter.
Old 16 March 2007, 06:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

What a load of miserable s0ds you lot are. Having the Olympics in London will be fantastic and great for this country. It'll create jobs and infrastructure and boost the local economy. It'll also put London on the map for a few months. I for one will definately be going,cant wait.

Anyway whats money for if not for spending,its not like people are short of a bob or two.
Old 16 March 2007, 06:09 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

im gona see the same thing where ever it is....none of it...but abroad i wont be paying any more for the fookin thing. waste of money!
Old 16 March 2007, 06:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
What a load of miserable s0ds you lot are. Having the Olympics in London will be fantastic and great for this country. It'll create jobs and infrastructure and boost the local economy. It'll also put London on the map for a few months. I for one will definately be going,cant wait.

Anyway whats money for if not for spending,its not like people are short of a bob or two.
On the face of it yes it is a great idea.

the reality is that they fecked up big time and with our money. I am sick of listening to tv and radio interview with slippery arrogant politicians who will never take responsibility for the actions or inactions, or admit that they got it wrong, just once to be honest would be good. Problem is that the leadership is rotten so what do you expect!

Why just London then, are there not other ares just as deserving.

Likelyhood it will affect the grass rots funding for some time to come as well - Lottery for instance.

Looks like the bid was ill conceived and badly managed and the figures, the bit that we all pay was just not taken seriously and properly sorted.

As someone who regualry puts pitches and tenders together for events (not for these sorts of sums admittedly) i spend a lot of time checking that the figures ans specs are accurate as this is vital as any overspend comes out of our profit unlike these fools who just stick their hand out ecxpecting the treasury to hand over OUR money!

Oh, and i have never, ever forgot to factor in VAT, taxes, material cost fluctuations any strategic partner or development costs and a contingency - but i tell you what sure as poo stinks my suppliers would never ever know what the contingency was for obvious reasons!

I would like to see the money set aside put to good use around the UK.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 March 2007 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 9 Billion Quid for the Olympics