Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Temporary car import??

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 12:30 PM
mplaczek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Temporary car import??

Quick question, I have a friend over here from Spain, she has her car with spanish plates that will be returning with her when she does eventually return to Spain. It is registered and road legal in Spain.

I had a look on the DVLA website and saw that cars can be temporarily remain in the UK with foreign plates for 6 months of any 12 month period.

She is definitely staying for longer than that so I assume that means she will need to get the car registered in the UK, plates, tax, mot, insurance over here.... etc. etc.

Does anyone have experience in this matter,

Any information will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 21 March 2007, 12:46 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

All the Polish seem to manage it for longer than 6 months .

If she can't beat them, join them
Old 21 March 2007, 01:03 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Im surprised the DVLA says that. Is it up to date?

I was recently told by a few different sources that EU law says that as long as you are not moving premanantly, then as long as the car is 100% legal in its home country then its legal anywhere within the EU, unless there are specific clauses in the insurance that limit time abroad.
Old 21 March 2007, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the Poles go for a short visit home and then return for another 6 months.

Les
Old 21 March 2007, 01:17 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Biggest problem is changing the headlights to dip to the left ............
To get it registered in the UK is a nightmare. A friend did this (from Spain) to be honest its better to go home flog the car there then buy one in the UK, because of all the changes they need to make and then all the changes back....... plus the paperwork, you have to prove its been type approved, homolagated etc etc then get it mot'd
Old 21 March 2007, 02:50 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

UK registration is quite easy actually. (assuming the car is originally from within the EU)
It must pass a uk MOT - changes required are headlights (source from a breakers) and possibly tail lights if the fog light is only on 1 side (again source from breakers)
The car must be insured, which can be done using the chassis number rather than a registration.
The car needs a certificate of conformity. This is available from the main dealers. Some give them free, some charge for them. Newer cars have the certificate in amongst the service book or handbooks.
Take these forms to a dvla local office and pay the fee and its done.
Old 21 March 2007, 03:15 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I had to do this in reverse recently - that is, take a car on UK plates to Spain. After a year or so when MOT was up I opted to whack it on Spanish plates. I found out I could have legally kept it on UK plates if I'd changed the front lights and fog light and passed the Spanish MOT (ITV).

As it was I had to pass a more stringent SVA type test to get the Spanish documentation. Therefore, I'd guess that so long as the car has the right lights etc. and has either the ITV from Spain or a UK issued MOT then it'll be ok. Luckily for your friend she probably won't get the same grief I have had here from the local fuzz when driving on UK plates....