Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top band VED

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 02:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top band VED

Up to £300 this year and £400 next year!!
Old 21 March 2007, 02:06 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

w**ker
Old 21 March 2007, 02:15 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Ouch.

What band is your S3 Matt?
Old 21 March 2007, 02:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

One off the top
Old 21 March 2007, 02:50 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

off road cars should pay double one for on one for off road
Old 21 March 2007, 03:12 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I personally think the highest band should be a bit higher and those cars that produce over 400 carbon thingys should pay an even higher rate.

What, most people that can afford an Enzo won't care if the tax is a couple of grand will they?!

At the moment, it's just penalising the middle class... again!
Old 21 March 2007, 03:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

It's about penalising those who drive higher polluting cars, not the middle classes!
Old 21 March 2007, 03:14 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SlimJ_2005
I personally think the highest band should be a bit higher and those cars that produce over 400 carbon thingys should pay an even higher rate.

What, most people that can afford an Enzo won't care if the tax is a couple of grand will they?!

At the moment, it's just penalising the middle class... again!
Same should apply to income tax, say something like 60% plus for earners over £100k. If you have a few quid all this taxation works for you and as normal the average punter in the average street pays more than his fair share ...........
Old 21 March 2007, 03:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman
Same should apply to income tax, say something like 60% plus for earners over £100k. If you have a few quid all this taxation works for you and as normal the average punter in the average street pays more than his fair share ...........
I disagree, as a proportion a 100k earner pays the same amount as a 50k earner (on higher earnings) however in real terms it is obviously more.
Old 21 March 2007, 04:04 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by MattW
It's about penalising those who drive higher polluting cars, not the middle classes!

No, its not.

Co2 is not a pollutant. If it is, you'd better stop breathing out.
Old 21 March 2007, 04:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
No, its not.

Co2 is not a pollutant. If it is, you'd better stop breathing out.
I have
Old 21 March 2007, 04:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Going by the 'polluter pays' principle, which the gov is found of spouting, then they should abolish VED/Road tax and put a couple of pence on fuel.

Dave
He has put a couple pence on fuel though. 2p this October and another 2p next year. Although it isn't quite 2p is it. As once the Petrol company has put their price on top, greedy greedy Gordon then Taxes us again on his own tax and the Fuel companies price.

So this way he's earning both ways. And he knows that we can't just abolish our cars as the public transport system is cr@p
Old 21 March 2007, 04:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I'm annoyed at the income tax changes. This means lots of people will be worse off on low wages!
Old 21 March 2007, 04:56 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I'm annoyed at the income tax changes. This means lots of people will be worse off on low wages!
Interestingly, and purely on an income tax & NI position, that is not the case according to the budget calculators I've looked at.

Yes, he gves on one hand and takes away on the other, but it appears to be the higher earners who are hit on the NIC side, and not the lower paid on the tax/nic side.

Of course if the low earners have a car in VED band G, they are screwed.

Ironically, with the tax cuts, the extra VED on the high polluters is more than off set by the tax benefits afforded to those who can afford such vehicles.

I'm not complaining overall, but what a ****
Old 21 March 2007, 05:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Interestingly, and purely on an income tax & NI position, that is not the case according to the budget calculators I've looked at.

Yes, he gves on one hand and takes away on the other, but it appears to be the higher earners who are hit on the NIC side, and not the lower paid on the tax/nic side.

Of course if the low earners have a car in VED band G, they are screwed.

Ironically, with the tax cuts, the extra VED on the high polluters is more than off set by the tax benefits afforded to those who can afford such vehicles.

I'm not complaining overall, but what a ****

Of course the low earners are affected. You need to earn £23000 before you break even under the new tax system. Anything below that and you are out of pocket ( by an increasing amount the lower you go).

Example based purely on IT- Someone on £10000 pays £777 in tax per year. Under the new system they will pay £1020.

Conversly someone on £30000 pays £5177 under the current system and will pay £5020 under the new.

Of course they may be soem other adjustments that make up the difference, with NI and benefits - But based purely on income tax, this is a terrible deal for the low paid.
Old 21 March 2007, 05:13 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I can't find info on the DVLA website if my car is subject to the higher band. It has new cars, but not older ones... I think I am safe though (prays).
Old 21 March 2007, 05:17 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I can't find info on the DVLA website if my car is subject to the higher band. It has new cars, but not older ones... I think I am safe though (prays).
Basically it goes like this.

If you car was registered before March 2001, then you have two bands - Below 1550cc and above.

If your car was registered before Marsh 23rd 2006, but after March 2001, then you have bands A,B,C,D,E,F

If you car was registered after March 23rd 2006, then you have bands A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

In other words, the only cars that will pay the new higher level tax of £300/£400 are those registered after March 23 2006 and have over 225 CO/km emissions

If you have a scoob, that is more than a yea rold, then basically your road tax goes up by £5 per year for the next 3 years.
Old 21 March 2007, 05:19 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Of course the low earners are affected. You need to earn £23000 before you break even under the new tax system. Anything below that and you are out of pocket ( by an increasing amount the lower you go).

Example based purely on IT- Someone on £10000 pays £777 in tax per year. Under the new system they will pay £1020.

Conversly someone on £30000 pays £5177 under the current system and will pay £5020 under the new.

Of course they may be soem other adjustments that make up the difference, with NI and benefits - But based purely on income tax, this is a terrible deal for the low paid.

Dude,

I'm only going by the calculators.

eg

= Budget calculator 2007 - Tax Services KPMG UK =

Of course, KPMG (for example) might be wrong, but I'm guessing their understanding of tax is better than yours.
Old 21 March 2007, 05:23 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Basically it goes like this.

If you car was registered before March 2001, then you have two bands - Below 1550cc and above.

If your car was registered before Marsh 23rd 2006, but after March 2001, then you have bands A,B,C,D,E,F

If you car was registered after March 23rd 2006, then you have bands A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

In other words, the only cars that will pay the new higher level tax of £300/£400 are those registered after March 23 2006 and have over 225 CO/km emissions

If you have a scoob, that is more than a yea rold, then basically your road tax goes up by £5 per year for the next 3 years.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I wish they made it that easy on the websites. Why can't this agencies write in plain English so people like me can understand it. I mean, as if I know what CO2 emmissions my car has got
Old 21 March 2007, 05:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The site is wrong. It doesnt yet take into account the propsed changes to the tax system.

The BBC uses the exact same calculator, and comes out with the same results when you pu tan amount into it. It has the following disclaimer

However, the chancellor’s most eye-catching change, cutting income tax by 2p while abolishing the 10% tax band, will not come into effect before 2008, and the Treasury has not provided all necessary details. Therefore our calculator can not yet reflect the proposed changes to the income tax regime.
You can test it too - If you put in an income of £7200 (the point at which the 10% rate cuts of), it actually gives you paying less tax next year - despite you having to pay 20% on the £2300 after your personal allowance rather than 10%.

Which is a bit of a giveaway of the calulator not really being very accurate.

Last edited by PeteBrant; 21 March 2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 05:31 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

I bought a new one of these before Xmas:

2.5 ltr turbo diesel
171bhp
403nm torque
17" Alloys
Carrys 5 adults
Takes 1000kg in the back
Tows 2600kg of trailer
Will cruise all day long at illegal speeds
Returns 35mpg on runs
And is really good fun to drive.

But best of all, its classed as a Euro 4 light commercial so it only costs £110 for 12 months road tax
A bargain at £20k
Bob

Last edited by bobsabuilder; 21 March 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:05 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

The site is wrong. It doesnt yet take into account the propsed changes to the tax system.

The BBC uses the exact same calculator, and comes out with the same results when you pu tan amount into it. It has the following disclaimer

You can test it too - If you put in an income of £7200 (the point at which the 10% rate cuts of), it actually gives you paying less tax next year - despite you having to pay 20% on the £2300 after your personal allowance rather than 10%.

Fair enough, hadn't looked at the detail - although somewhat embarrasing for KPMG.

So its another £230 of tax a year, for 2007/08, or £19 per month.

Go labour

My point about the high earners being better off inspite of the VED in the long run still stands though, and Brown is still a ****.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

My point about the high earners being better off inspite of the VED in the long run still stands though, and Brown is still a ****.
You'll get no argument from me there
Old 21 March 2007, 06:19 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman
So because somebody works their **** off to lift themselves from being "average joe" and earns a decent amount of money, they should be taxed more?

Tax levels should be the same, if people are skint then work harder.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:43 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I don't think so. My Band G car does not pollute the atmosphere to the same extent as my old Landy. Just think about the older cars being driven round by the poorer elements of society - this is yet another example of Greedy Gordon's pillaging of the middle classes.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Yet another reason why classic scoobs rule.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:54 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Pete,

According to FT.com

"The big money spinner for the Treasury is the abolition of the 10p starting rate of income tax from 2008-09, which will be levied on the first £2,230 of taxable income this April. On this band of income, taxpayers will now pay double, 20 pence in the pound, costing up to £230 a year for most taxpayers.

It is rather ironic that Gordon Brown is now abolishing the very tax rate he introduced against the advice of many civil servants in 1999.

Between £2,230 and £34,600, taxpayers will gain from the 2 pence in the pound basic rate cut, which will benefit individuals on a sliding scale from nothing for those with £2,230 taxable income to to £647 a year for those who pay higher rate income tax, with above £34,600 taxable income."

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Last edited by ///\oo/\\\; 21 March 2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 07:11 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I can't personally complain about this budget that much I guess - a cut in the basic rate is better than I've ever got from any other previous budget in my adult life.

Quick Reply: Top band VED