Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Looks like I need to leave my job

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2007, 03:38 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I need to leave my job

I started as a Drawing Controller (distributing technical drawings on paper and cd,electronic filing) in a design office in March 2006. As I had no previous office experience I was taken on in a junior role for 2 weeks, this was extended then 4 weeks later the guy I replaced came back and my role was reduced considerably and I was shoved in a corner in the office and my role now was almost non existant were it not for burning cds and printing, creating pdf's.

An extra role was created in Estimating to type up and send out enquiries, mainly because no one else wanted to do it. the Estimators don't give a **** and never have everything ready for me, the printers chew everything up and never get sorted. Last week I sent about 150 differant packages out and 140 today. Most on paper and some on cd.

I asked for a pay rise in November and he said ask again in Febuary, I did and he said ask again in 8 weeks.

The guy that came back has now left and I've moved back across, yet I'm still doing the enquiries, I've now found out that they're replacing him too. I've also been on a course to use some new software.

I had another word last week and he said I was stuck with the enquiries and that I wouldn't be a drawing controller full time, he also said I couldn't have a pay rise unless I did more, I currently use 6 differant programs in both roles, as well as helping out in the print room when needed. Theres not alot more I can do, considering I'm juggling 3 differant roles. He said he wouldn't consider me for a trainee CAD role either and if I didn't like it I'd have to reconsider what I was going to do.

So now I've been told that the role I have is just that and I'm not getting anymore money. I'm on 12k btw.

To make matters worse a temp that has being working in the print room has being asked if wants to apply for the drawing control job (They want 4 of us)

For interest the programs - OCE Electronic Job Ticket, OCE Indexer, CDS, Mosaic, Scandocs

I've now added my CV to a few websites.

Last edited by 16vmarc; 22 March 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 22 March 2007, 03:46 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Remember you posting about moving to this job. for what it's worth you've shown good willing and adaptability with your change in roles. Time now to get out and use that experience to sell yourself and maybe get a role with CAD training involved. If you are proficient on a PC and can learn new programs pretty quickly then you could teach yourself AutoCAD to a reasonable level. This may help when looking for another job.

All the best with it.
Old 22 March 2007, 03:51 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Well during my first talk with the CAD manager he said I was in the ideal environment for progressing to CAD. He fobbed me off for 3 months putting back any possible pay rises before finally saying no to a payrise or any future prospects at the company!

I'm thinking of doing an IT night course come the summer.
Old 22 March 2007, 03:59 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Well during my first talk with the CAD manager he said I was in the ideal environment for progressing to CAD. He fobbed me off for 3 months putting back any possible pay rises before finally saying no to a payrise or any future prospects at the company!

I'm thinking of doing an IT night course come the summer.
Is it CAD you want to do? If so do you have an idea of the sort of role /environment you'd want to use it? In some cases providing you can used a CAD package such as AutoCAD then they'll train you on the products you'll be working with.

Didn't you work with metalwork before? you could made combine the two to produce technical drawings for the shop floor.

Myself I design window systems..... the thrill!
Old 22 March 2007, 04:32 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Is it CAD you want to do? If so do you have an idea of the sort of role /environment you'd want to use it? In some cases providing you can used a CAD package such as AutoCAD then they'll train you on the products you'll be working with.

Didn't you work with metalwork before? you could made combine the two to produce technical drawings for the shop floor.

I originally applied for a Trainee CAD role, I had 2 interviews before being turned down due to my grades. I was told I was given a second interview due to my engineering qualifications. I would have being happy in Drawing Control had they not messed my role around so much.
Old 22 March 2007, 04:44 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd get a copy of AutoCAD and learn it in my own time. That way if you get an interview you can show you're proficient but would require some additional training to be full up to speed. It's nice to have the qualification on paper to say you can do something but if you can at least show you know your way around a program then you're more likely to get a chance if you can demonstrate you have the skill to do it even without the qualifications to say so.
Old 22 March 2007, 04:57 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Also try and get a copy of solidworks, very easy to learn even better if you have mech background SolidWorks - 3D Mechanical Design and 3D CAD Software

ray t
Old 22 March 2007, 05:08 PM
fug
BANNED

*pssst*

Fudge packer job going over at:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-get-sack.html

Old 22 March 2007, 05:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru

Oh I? Which company?

I work in the drawing office as a Draughtsman for a Roofing/Cladding company. Dare bet our companies have worked on the same contracts.
Old 22 March 2007, 05:33 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

*pssst*

Fudge packer job going over at:
PMSL
Old 22 March 2007, 07:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Just been speaking to my Dad and he says I should go in tomorrow and hand my notice in
Old 22 March 2007, 07:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a massive gamble. Do that and they accept, and you get no support from the State, so I hear.
Old 22 March 2007, 07:23 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

2 weeks without benefit isn't it?
Old 22 March 2007, 11:55 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

According to here , it's up to 6 months, unless you can demonstrate sufficient reason (and I expect **** prospects etc doesn't count as sufficient reason in their eyes).

I'd seriously look to apply for other jobs and getting something else lined up before resigning. If you make it well known to your current employer you're doing so, they might take you seriously and give you something useful, they might make your life even less pleasant. Only you can really judge who at work to tell what and how best to go about it in order to get the best chance of a positive outcome.

For what it's worth, I know the only time I've ever resigned I deliberately didn't do so until I had a written confirmation of start date from my new employer. Whilst there's always ups and downs to everything, I've never regretted resigning and moving on.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:27 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

New Drawing Controller starts on Monday and an IT role that was being lined up for me has now been given to the temp.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:31 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Yor Boss is not a Chelski fan is he
Old 29 March 2007, 05:40 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I heard he was a scouse fan.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:43 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

speak to a recruitment agency and have a look in any trade mags they might have lying around the office - usually plenty of jobs in and you won't need to pay for them!

5t.
Old 29 March 2007, 05:55 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I've sent my CV to a few and I need to call in to one (Brook Street) to finish registering with them.
Old 29 March 2007, 09:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been there mate, worked doing a similar job as a temp for North West Water years ago on four quid an hour, basically coordinating consultant engineers drawings and cleaning up the cad in Autosketch, I couldnt do everything so I got an assistant who was a complete dimwit on the same money who just sat there and bit her nails and a Cad person, well a girl who had done a 12 week night school cad course who they put on 11 quid an hour and I had to show her how to do the work, she was clueless !

I asked for a raise to help cover my travel expenses, I was refused and told to buy a cheaper car to run, I didnt go back !

You just need to keep plugging away, nothing learnt is ever wasted, immerse yourself in that area, get the trade mags, register on the websites and before long you are part of that world, getting some qualifications in it helps.

Dont be scared to move around a couple of times either, most companies typecast you into a role and salary.

I have just got my first contract job, start on the 16th of April, so if I can do it I am sure you can.
Old 29 March 2007, 11:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Never stay in a job moaning. Move on. It always seems to work out for the better in my experience. [and speaking as one who just did it again, with only fresh air to go to a few months ago...and now...well, cant really say here without looking like a name dropping ****]

Go with your instinct mate - too many unhappy people, scared of the mortgage payments...

D
Old 30 March 2007, 04:59 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Ray T
Also try and get a copy of solidworks, very easy to learn even better if you have mech background SolidWorks - 3D Mechanical Design and 3D CAD Software

ray t

I'd second that

We use AutoCad most of the time, but our production office develops all our sheet fabrications in Solidworks now

Marc, no offence, but your father's advice is very bad advice, it is far easier to get a job if you are already in one, no matter how bad your existing job is.
If you just up sticks and leave, any prospective future employer is going to be overly interested in why.

I was in a similar situation to you many years ago, I just kept plugging away whilst applying for every job going. When I finally did get a new position and handed my notice in, my boss practically got down on his knees and begged me to stay, he even offered me twice my then current salary (this was less than a month after he'd told me there was no chance of a pay rise) to keep me
Even though it was a bit more than my new job, I told him (politely, see the comment re: burning bridges) that the reason I was leaving was to broaden my horizons.
Before I came out here I had moved into the contracting side of things, and because I had a pretty thorough knowledge of that company's products and working methods he asked e back several times to run short term projects. No problem, I just charged him 10-15% more than my other clients What goes around, comes around

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 30 March 2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 30 March 2007, 08:45 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Best advice I reckon is don't jump until you have somewhere safe to land! It really sounds like they couldn't care less about you but as you are in employment you have an advantage. Keep up the pressure on them and you may want to try being a bit more assertive with your bosses. Failing that, keep banging your CV out to agencies and chase them to get something you want.

Best of luck
Old 30 March 2007, 01:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Best advice I reckon is don't jump until you have somewhere safe to land! It really sounds like they couldn't care less about you but as you are in employment you have an advantage. Keep up the pressure on them and you may want to try being a bit more assertive with your bosses. Failing that, keep banging your CV out to agencies and chase them to get something you want.

Best of luck
SJ, at 12 grand its not that much of a gamble as there are plenty of jobs that will pay that and more for someone with intelligence, who turns up and can answer a phone, Marc is not being appreciated and not getting paid for his skills.
Old 30 April 2007, 06:40 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Job interview on Wednesday.
Old 30 April 2007, 06:42 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

my old dear has been changing jobs every 3-4 months for the past 5 years and yet the offers still fly in. All I know is I wouldnt hire her lol
Old 30 April 2007, 06:42 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Result! Good luck fella, ask if they have internet so you can spend all day on SN
Old 30 April 2007, 06:46 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 30 April 2007, 07:17 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Its time to move on and learn a CAD package yourself.

Companies are not keen on spending money for you to do CAD training in their time. they want people that can hit the ground running as soon as they start.

Learn CAD off your own back and start with a draughtmans role "CAD operator" as they are known today.

I started as a CAD Operator when I left uni in 2002 on £15k using AutoCAD and programming a turret press. moved on 6 months later to design using solidworks

Quick Reply: Looks like I need to leave my job