Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2007, 10:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Panasonic Viera TH37PX60B

Its £698 - a bargain?

Rubbish?

The AV Forums go on about banding and this and the other faults, then others say its the best thing since sliced bread?

Anyone got one and want to tell me what its like without being **** - I just want it to watch Freeview and normal DVDs (no HD inputs yet) .... not interested if there is some minute distortion at the upper bandwidth of the line oscillator part of the colour temperature spectrum

Just is it a GOOD TV for £698??

And what kind of stand does it come with 'out the box'?

Old 22 March 2007, 10:31 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it that time of year again already. A Lewis Plasma post.
Old 22 March 2007, 10:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've got the 42" and it is AMAZING.

The issues that AV state only happen on some models. I guess that I've been lucky, as mine's been perfect.

Mine came with a pedestal stand (bl00dy heavy too).

Not that my opinion counts for ****, but I'm really glad I changed over (came from a Toshiba 28" widescreen CRT - once the Plasma's run in, the picture blows the CRT out of the window)

Hope this helps Pete

DAn
Old 22 March 2007, 10:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan ...... is £698 ok for the 37"?

It gets good reviews .... is it a 200 hour burn-in? Will it disappoint straight out the box?

The one I am looking at has a 'B' at the end of the model number (this normally indicates the stand used, what is 'B'?)
Old 22 March 2007, 11:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just found the 42" for £798 ... would the 42" be better for £100 more?
Old 22 March 2007, 11:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

B stands for wall bracket (the reason why it's cheaper!)

200hr burn in - certainly won't disappoint out of the box! I've turned all my settings down to about 40% and I'm well over the run-in time, and it looks amazing. Must get round to upping the screen settings

The extra over the 37" is purely down to whether your room will handle having a large screen in it tbh.

I was only looking for the 37" too, but the 42" was a little bit more expensive AND I could take it out of the shop (a luxury most places don't afford you!)

Dan
Old 22 March 2007, 11:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
B stands for wall bracket (the reason why it's cheaper!)

200hr burn in - certainly won't disappoint out of the box! I've turned all my settings down to about 40% and I'm well over the run-in time, and it looks amazing. Must get round to upping the screen settings

The extra over the 37" is purely down to whether your room will handle having a large screen in it tbh.

I was only looking for the 37" too, but the 42" was a little bit more expensive AND I could take it out of the shop (a luxury most places don't afford you!)

Dan
The info I have found is that W stands for Wall Bracket, not B??

Now, another question, my mate has just bought a Samsung 42" Plasma .. the shop (200 yards away from where he and I live) would not let him take it home - said they had to deliver and would do that free. Because if the Plasma is tilted wrongly it will damage it .... not heard that before - I was about to lie mine down in the back of the Scooby
Old 22 March 2007, 11:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry - my mistake about the B. Just looking at the manual now

Basically you've got the three types - wall bracket, pedestal (the one I've got ), and the ski-jump stand (when you see it, you'll see what I mean!)

From what I can see, the "b" doesn't mean much at all.

No, the shop's right about the transport issue. They should be transported vertically (bit like a fridge). Although my mate bought one, threw it in the back of his A3, and brought it home! However, he let it settle for a while, whilst he was moving into his flat.

Mine wouldn't fit in the back of my S4 Avant Rather large!! Had to employ the services of my old chap and his Focus S-Max.

Still, at least the Audi's good for other things (and stops the dog from resting his head on the gear stick like he did in my Classic! )

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 22 March 2007, 11:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Just done a quick google about "why" you have to transport it upright....

You can tilt them (as you can buy tilted wall brackets)..... many seem to say that the glass can be very delicate.....

Sounds plausible

Dan
Old 23 March 2007, 12:05 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan - have you got your Audio leads out of the TV Outputs straight into your Dolby Pro-Logic Amp?
Old 23 March 2007, 12:07 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Pete - if the nice man in the shop is offering to deliver it for free then surely your 78 year old self would appreciate the offer of carrying it in for you? ha ha.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:09 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B-B
Pete - if the nice man in the shop is offering to deliver it for free then surely your 78 year old self would appreciate the offer of carrying it in for you? ha ha.
Darling, I trust no-one .... you know that
Old 23 March 2007, 12:13 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Darling??
x
Old 23 March 2007, 12:17 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B-B
Darling??
x
Please tell me you are female
Old 23 March 2007, 12:20 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Ha ha ha old man - your memory isnt failing that quickly already is it?
Old 23 March 2007, 12:21 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Your new tv will need a fast refresh rate to keep up with your goldfish like memory.
Old 23 March 2007, 12:22 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B-B
Ha ha ha old man - your memory isnt failing that quickly already is it?
You weren't that female at the last Scooby meet who took advantage of me, just because I am famous ........... are you??
Old 23 March 2007, 12:28 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

A lady never tells.

As I am not a lady..............yep that was me and I bet you are still smiling...didn't realise you were famous though ha ha ha!

B-B
Old 23 March 2007, 12:30 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

While you are discussing the ins and outputs of your TV bits I am trying to decide on a bikini for the summer. Do you think I should post for some help?

B-B
Old 23 March 2007, 12:34 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A Bikini ....................... do you think that wise

Anyway, maybe you can help me:-

I have a Sony Pro-Logic Amp and say I have a Flat Screen TV with a stereo output ..... will the stereo output of the TV be NICAM or will it be plain Stereo? And will the Dolby Pro-Logic decode the signal correctly?

Because that simple question gets deleted and locked if posted as a thread itself .............
Old 23 March 2007, 12:44 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

I know being drop dead gorgeous in a bikini is a cross I just have to bear.

I have no idea why the thread gets deleted and locked? It sounds like one of your wind ups but from what I remember that actually sounds like your system at home and is a reasonable question. However, if you with the background you have cannot answer it - then I am sure I cannot either. Sounds more like one for Dan? Is he still around?

I wouldn't suggest asking at your local TV retailer, from the help I have had in the past they have trouble identifying the on/off switch.......maybe I was just very unlucky.

B-B
Old 23 March 2007, 01:00 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

God now he's talking to himself

Old 23 March 2007, 01:10 AM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Who is?
Old 23 March 2007, 08:31 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Pete, I've got mine connected via the phono/rca outputs into my amp, just as one of the MANY audio options I've got

The Panny also has a built-in freeview box (which is nice), but I use my Sky box with the same audio setup (rca outputs), and my amp (**** off big Yamaha AV amp) will decode the Nicam signals and the Pro-Logic.

I'm really only using my TV as a monitor though, as virtually every thing goes through the Amp.

The only thing I've got going into my TV is the video output from the amp, and my Wii (on Scart). The only reason why the Wii goes into the TV and not the amp is because I've run out of video inputs on the amp!!

The output of the Wii (through the TV) then goes into my amp for the processing etc

Hope that makes sense

Dan
Old 23 March 2007, 09:49 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan

I have a VIDEO out of my Amp .... I have never used it - couldn't ever figure out what it was there for??

I put my DVD/Video/Freeview into the Scarts at the back of the TV ..... these cannot go into the Amp - Can they??

See, this needs its own thread ... but, Puff The Tragic keeps deleting it

A thread something like:- https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post6773182

Anyone see why I should be Infracted and nearly Banned for that .... cos if you can shed some light on it I would be most grateful.

Last edited by pslewis; 23 March 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Try to get an extended warranty with any flat panel TV, LCD or PDP. For some of the best and latest deals on Pana sets check out HERE especially the last few pages where the newest deals are. The PX70/700 sets are now in the shops offering true 1080p hi-def and for not much more than the PX60's were in their last days on special offer. I've compared a 768 line PX60 to a Pioneer 1080p side by side and couldn't justify the extra £3.5k for the slight resolution improvement, but if the new Pana's are as good for just a couple of hundred more than I'd definitely have it.

I have the 50" version and it is superb even with SD DVD. I expect a good jump in quality just moving to an upscaling DVD feeding though HDMI, let alone what HD formats may offer, but I'm still gonna sit on the fence until all the issues on that are sorted.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What is all this distortion associated with the line oscillator then? Has it got progressive or interlaced scan by the way?

Could you bring yourself to actually buy one in case the price dropped a bit by the following week?

Les
Old 23 March 2007, 02:29 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL Pete

Will leave the Scoobynet policy stuff to you

However,

1. yes, you can connect everything into the back of the TV.
2. the audio output of the TV can go into your amp for Nicam/Pro-Logic blah blah blah
3. all your Scart stuff - terminate it to the component or composite connectors and connect it all (inc audio) through your amp. The Video OUT of your amp connects to any of the free inputs on your TV

I make it sound so easy

The other good advice is about the warrantee. Got mine on a rolling month-by-month basis, rather than a fixed term. Which is nice.

DAn

Originally Posted by pslewis
Cheers Dan

I have a VIDEO out of my Amp .... I have never used it - couldn't ever figure out what it was there for??

I put my DVD/Video/Freeview into the Scarts at the back of the TV ..... these cannot go into the Amp - Can they??

See, this needs its own thread ... but, Puff The Tragic keeps deleting it

A thread something like:- https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post6773182

Anyone see why I should be Infracted and nearly Banned for that .... cos if you can shed some light on it I would be most grateful.
Old 23 March 2007, 07:59 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I've been looking at getting a new 32" LCD TV for a while, but recently prices appear to have increased...

Been looking at mid-range models like Panasonic Viera and Samsungs yet prices are up by about £25 over the past few weeks! I know inflation is running at much higher levels than we are let to believe, but stuff like TV's are surely items which always fall in price?!

Certainly very annoying for me!
Old 23 March 2007, 08:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I found that when I was buying mine, there was a premium to pay for the 32 - 37" screens, as these were more popular (due to the size being more manageable in living rooms)....

My 42" was only £100 more AND available for take-away there and then due to this trend......

FWIW, I've got used to it now, and love it immensely

Dan

Quick Reply: Panasonic Viera TH37PX60B