Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A question for you Dentists out there..

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2001, 08:48 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

After my thread a while back stating my fear of going to the dentist, I finally went last Monday.

Bad news

The main reason I went was one of the fillings on a back tooth had fallen out, leaving the back half of the filling behind and a hole where the filling had been (also a tiny bit of tooth came off also)

Had one night of tooth-ache so I booked up and went. He put a temporary filling in and told me I needed a "root canal"

My question is, is this a normal thing to do? I've had no ache since the temp fillin was put in, the tooth has never ached before, dosn't look manky in any way. I'm wondering if I really need this terrible sounding treatment.

Why won't another filling do the job? I'm also told I need 11 fillings!! looking around with my DIY dentist mirror I've not got not one single black bit on any of my teeth

Am I being taken for a ride here, sounds very expensive.
Is a 2nd opinion worthwhile?

Cheers

John
Old 14 December 2001, 10:29 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If a filling falls out, get to the dentist straight away! I've had one root canal treatment (and eventually lost the tooth ) because of this and I also have a cap as well for the same reason.
Old 14 December 2001, 02:41 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

I'm **** scared of dentists so they give me an injection, you feel drunk afterwards but don't remember a thing about what they've done and aren't aware of it.

It costs a bit but it's the only way for me after a a Marathon-Man esque "accident" by a junior dentist a few years ago.

Gamm
Old 14 December 2001, 03:27 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Get it done. Be brave man.

If the root isn't filled then there is a void in there. Nature then decides what a wonderful place to grow an infection. This hurts like hell. Not nice.

Denstistry these days should be painless. Modern anaesthesia works. The initial injections can make your eyes water but the old drilling fears are down to the noise not the pain.

You only get one set of teeth... well two actually but you know what I mean. Look after them. if the dentist says you need it done get it done.

I understand the ladies find false teeth by the bed a bit of a turnoff
Old 14 December 2001, 04:52 PM
scoobs
Scooby Regular

John

Had a fair bit of work done to my teath. Just cos you can't see the areas of decay doesn't mean they'r not there. I had had times when I couldn't see a thing, but the xray showed them up good and propper. Had root canal work done too. No bid deal. If the dentest is good you will hardly feel the injections. I never felt a thing, and I've had rods and all sorts of stuff put in my ****

It's a bit sore when then injection wheres off, but that is all.

Scoobs
Old 14 December 2001, 05:47 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers guys..

My mum had an appointment with this dentist today and she asked him about the results from the xray I had last week...sounds like the root of the tooth is a bit dodgy, he said if its treated with the canal fill now it will save the tooth.
If its filled I'll end up with an abcess, loads of orrid pain and eventually have to have it take out.

Oh well, looks like root canal it is then.
Everyone thats actually had one done though says the injection is the worse bit, from then on in no pain atall

John
Old 14 December 2001, 10:32 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Wink

John you have mail............

Trending Topics

Old 16 December 2001, 12:08 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Is it possible to keep the nerves in the tooth when having root canal work done?

I had the nerves taken out, the tooth died and after about 3 years and much expense (gold inlays which fell out, then a crown which also fell out), I now have just a stump

Next time, I'll just have it taken out and avoid all the hassle/expense.

Kevin.