Virginia Gun Massacre

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2007, 06:32 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Virginia Gun Massacre

33 Dead
Incredibly this nutter was alloowed to roam around for over two hours and they didn't evacuate the campus they sent e-mails to students advising of the problem again !

Tragic and sad but sadly expected in the states.

I'm curiouis to see if that arsehole Charlton Heston will dare show his face defending the ownership of guns in the US or whether ***** George will do anything other than say the country is in mourning.

Thoughts go out to those affected by this senselessness
Old 17 April 2007, 08:13 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the gun orgs are saying this is a reason for loosening gun law not tightening it...
How anyone can use a tragedy like this for such propaganda is beyond me...
Terrible waste of life...
Old 17 April 2007, 08:20 AM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

made me feel really sad when I heard about this on the news!! Some bloody nutters out there!!!
Old 17 April 2007, 08:22 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The saddest thing is that when I heard it I just thought "here we go AGAIN!" its almost a routine thing now in the US!
Old 17 April 2007, 08:38 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

When i visited Texas and purchased a Stetson, i was amazed at the amount of different guns and type of gun i could purchase in the store.

i was stood there wide eyed looking at this collection that could start a war that the man off the street could buy thinking to myself 'that aint right'
Old 17 April 2007, 08:40 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I'm curiouis to see if that arsehole Charlton Heston will dare show his face defending the ownership of guns in the US

is it not just the cost of that option? they want guns so they lose people to gun crime....as long as they are happy with that, as a nation, we should let them get on with it.
Old 17 April 2007, 08:41 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Depends on your view point, if you drive down town Miami late at night you will be glad of a pistol in your glove box, and the chances are you will need it too.

Its all snowballed out of control over their and now its every man for himself when it comes to carrying guns.

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2007, 09:25 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Whilst I feel sorry for the people that died and their and their families, I have little sympathy for the U.S. as a nation. When will they learn?

On the news this morning, the University is getting criticised for it's handling of the situation!! I mean FFS! They just shouldn't be allowed to have those sort of weapons, Universities should not have to have procedures in place in case some fookin nutter decided to start executing all it's students. The country has gone mad.

Nuke them from space, it's the only way to be sure........

Geezer
Old 17 April 2007, 09:43 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Nuke them from space, it's the only way to be sure........
Idiotic statement - think of the fall-out and the damange to the planet.

Neutron bombs would be much better as we could re-populate the colony after a few weeks.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 17 April 2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 17 April 2007, 09:54 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree that it is too easy to buy guns in the US (easier than buying a beer in Washington state for example), it a flaw in the US culture that causes these incidents.

Canada has a similar ratio of gun ownership to the US, but a fraction of the gun crime. Most Canadians think they have a gun problem, but it is nothing compared to the US.

The irony is, many Americans will buy a gun for protection, but statistically, owning a gun makes you 7 times more likely to be killed with a gun.
Old 17 April 2007, 10:22 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its their right to bear arms I was speaking to an American last night and he told me that statistically you are more likely to be killed in a plane crash in the Us than a gun. What kind of twisted logic is that maybe they should screen these peoples IQ's before dishing out guns like candy.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:40 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

How many of you who are passing judgement on here have actually lived in the US and are hence truly qualified to comment?

The crap about 'it's all out of control over there' - what a stupidly ill informed statement. Have any of you actually taken a good look at the UK recently, we're not exactly a bastion of law and order oursleves even with our wonderful gun laws.

Yes the US prides itself in a constitutional right to bear arms, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate, but a spree killing like this does not mean the whole nation are a bunch of gun toting trigger happy morons and is no reason to have some sort of knee jerk reaction over gun ownership.

We did the same after Dunblane and look where that got us.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:42 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan
How many of you who are passing judgement on here have actually lived in the US and are hence truly qualified to comment?

The crap about 'it's all out of control over there' - what a stupidly ill informed statement. Have any of you actually taken a good look at the UK recently, we're not exactly a bastion of law and order oursleves even with our wonderful gun laws.

Yes the US prides itself in a constitutional right to bear arms, whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate, but a spree killing like this does not mean the whole nation are a bunch of gun toting trigger happy morons and is no reason to have some sort of knee jerk reaction over gun ownership.

Agreed
Old 17 April 2007, 11:50 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Its not knee jerk, it just adds to the campaign to have a lot tighter gun laws in the US

Its a joke, watching newsnight last night really bought the idiocy of their rules home. Apparently the restictions on the availbility of certain guns have been lifted, not tightened. Indeed there was a pro gun chap on there citing this incident strengthens the need for every civilian to arm himself - to which he was sked "So you are suggesting sending our kids to school with a lunchbox and a pistol?" You couldn't make it up. Apparently a law being introduced in certain states "restricting" gun sales to twelve per person per year was met with uproar, I mean fancy only being able to add to your arsenal at a piffling rate of 1 a month!
Old 17 April 2007, 11:53 AM
New_scooby_04

It's a terrible waste of life. Condolences to all those affected.

As for the implications for the avilablity of firearms in the US, you have to understand that the Americans support gun ownership.

There are cira 200 million licenced handguns in the USA. Those are just the legally owned ones! Americans want access to guns. They will accept tradegies such as these if it means that they retain the right to bear arms, which is enshrined in their consitution.

The government of the USA does have the sense to realise that restrictions only affect legal owners of firearms. The criminals, who -lets face it- are the folks you really don't want having weapons will just ignore any regulations, leaving them armed and Joe blogs without a defence! That's the way the majority of the US population see it and why pretty much every informal poll has indicated that the majority are in favour of gun ownership.

The Americans feel that the law abiding majority should not be penalised for the actions of a minority (no matter how grevious) and that firearms are fundamental to their right to defend themselves and their property. They accept these tradegies as the cost of maintaining this freedom, and that's fair enough. It certainly seems more in the spirit of democracy than what the UK government did in the light of Dumblane!

We also need to recognise that organisations such as the NRA are very powerful. George W Bush is a member, for example! Even if the democrats swept to power on a wave of anti gun sentiment (which they won't) The supreme court will reject any significant move to restrict firearm ownership.
It may seem like madness to us, but this is an integral part of USA culture, and that's the way it will stay.

Pandora's box was opened a long time ago in this instance.

Ns04
Old 17 April 2007, 11:54 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how it would work over there though.

With the sheer volume of guns already in circulation and with the attitude already shown by most gun owners about changing the law I really don't think they would give them up.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:01 PM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

I am not saying the gun laws in America are right, i personally havent got too strong an opinion on it either way.

What i do want to say is that while we are all here slagging off how many brain doners there are killing each other over there, what about the X amount of british teenagers making pin boards out of each other in this country in the last month or so.

I think social violance is way out of hand, everywhere.

I aint a passifist (sp) or anything like that, far from it. But if you get in a row with someone, why is it that we feel the only way to resolve it is death? Jesus!!!
Old 17 April 2007, 12:06 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I don't see why anyone but the police needs a gun away!? its just my opinion but I don't think guns should be on sale to the public in any part of the world, I know people want them for protection etc but a gun can easily be miss used. maybe I'm a little naive!?
Old 17 April 2007, 12:14 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Its probably too late for them to change the laws now, but it is truly a screwed up country that allows its citizens to arm themselves with full scale conflict army type kit. If they were limited to 6 bullets firable per gun, that might have meant 6 or 12 people dead in this tragedy, but no, I guess this nutter had kit that an UK solider in Iraq would be please to get his hands on?!

I think it shows we are getting this issue right here - it is only the criminally intent and connected that can get their hands on illegal weapons, not your common or garden disillusioned middle class student psycho. There was an 'armed' robbery where I live recently - they took £250k worth of gems, using a HAMMER as a weapon. Much preferable

D
Old 17 April 2007, 12:27 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Off topic but...

When i visited Texas and purchased a Stetson
That is a fashion risk not worth taking. Or did you buy it for someone you dislike intensely?

Cheers
Kav
Old 17 April 2007, 12:27 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

When a country reaches 13,000+ deaths each year by guns, how can you say it is not out of control. When I was in LA in 1992, there was a news piece on the radio saying that the main cause of infant deaths in LA was gun shot wounds. The rest of the western world has a long way to go to catch that statistic.

Also, if the US soldiers I've had the misfortune to serve alongside are anything to go by, Americans really are trigger happy.

I also had a deputy sheriff from Utah on an exchange visit a few years ago. He was in the National Guard in his spare time. When out and about in Southport (hardly a hotbed of gun crime), all he could go on about was how vulnerable he felt without his .44 magnum. He never leaves the house without it in the US, even when going to a bar. Madness IMO.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:34 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Off topic but...

That is a fashion risk not worth taking. Or did you buy it for someone you dislike intensely?

Cheers
Kav

Not in Texas it aint

Actually my Texan girlfriend bought it at the time, i now wear it at fancy dress parties.

Last edited by The Chief; 17 April 2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added
Old 17 April 2007, 12:45 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Fair play
Old 17 April 2007, 01:34 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Me for one. See my userID
Old 17 April 2007, 02:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
I don't see why anyone but the police needs a gun away!? its just my opinion but I don't think guns should be on sale to the public in any part of the world, I know people want them for protection etc but a gun can easily be miss used. maybe I'm a little naive!?
Maybe they feel they need them as protection against trigger happy coppers!

Seriously, I wonder what is happening to so many people these days who are just out of their heads and are prepared to commit such atrocities. I find it a real worry and with the way things have been going over here with the apparent loss of law and order where thugs will now do just what they like with no fear of any significant punishment. This will just get worse exponentially if it is not dealt with as it should be and we shall eventually need a ten foot electrified fence aroung our houses for personal protection!

Does this stem from drug taking I wonder, is it getting such a hold on people now such that they have lost their minds and will do anything that takes their imagination and cannot see any need for self control? I find it a frightening thought!

Les
Old 17 April 2007, 02:29 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

the solution has been mentioned before.

Allow everybody to have guns but make bullets $1000 each.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:29 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Nothing that dramatic Les, they've been conditioned through television, film and music for the last 15 years to now believe that life has no value and if you want something you 'take it'....

Their heroes are gun wielding rappers/movie stars, their government tells them its OK to own & buy assault rifles and pistols... in fact they're Un-American NOT to...

The media 'glorifies' death and disaster in its coverage of the daily news... I mean after this latest incident SKY rolled off the 'top ten' style massacres stateside for the last 15 years, almost a challange to top the list.

Its a wonder there isn't more, and I guess we're now seeing the start of violent gang culture here in the UK...
Old 17 April 2007, 02:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

Its a wonder there isn't more, and I guess we're now seeing the start of violent gang culture here in the UK...
"We're all living in America!" - Rammstein
Old 17 April 2007, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Nothing that dramatic Les, they've been conditioned through television, film and music for the last 15 years to now believe that life has no value and if you want something you 'take it'....

Their heroes are gun wielding rappers/movie stars, their government tells them its OK to own & buy assault rifles and pistols... in fact they're Un-American NOT to...

The media 'glorifies' death and disaster in its coverage of the daily news... I mean after this latest incident SKY rolled off the 'top ten' style massacres stateside for the last 15 years, almost a challange to top the list.

Yes you are probably mainly right DCI but I am thinking of people who have just completely lost it, nothing is too bad for them to do! That's a real worry and it can only get considerably worse, here as well as in the States.

Frightening!

Les
Old 17 April 2007, 03:10 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

very!!!

Quick Reply: Virginia Gun Massacre