Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My ID nicked!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2007, 08:23 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My ID nicked!!!!!

Recieved a letter from HM revenue & customs today saying an attempt was made to use my details but this was identified and stopped!

it doesn't say anything else about the attempt (how, by who, where) but it does get you wondering.
I've applied for a few jobs recently and for some reason all application forms ask for NI number - why?

I shred all my letter heads with my details but it seems there are too many places - banks, insurance companys, credit card companys, etc, etc that have most of my details on files so the attempt could have been made by any of 1000s of their employees?

Has anyone else had their details stolen/ cloned?
Old 24 April 2007, 09:56 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expect the NI number is needed in the main so you can be paid as a British hombre...
It's unusual for any company to do checks before offering you a position. I recently had a job working for the government and even then my security checks were only done after i had accepted the offer...

A lot of billing systems are now holding credit card information and the likes on seperate databases so that call centre chickens cannot get access to them. This is to stop evil gang lord mo fo's forcing staff into handing over info... However for most companies this is a way off yet... Information on PCI compliance may be useful.

Best advice is to shred uneeded personal info and keep needed personal info in a secure place. A lot of scum will break into houses now for nothing more than your bank statements, passports and utility bills...
Old 24 April 2007, 10:24 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sign up with one of the Credit Reference Agencies
I've signed up with Credit Expert from Experian and I now know every inch of my credit report.

The credit reports / searches make interesting reading.

I receive an e-mail and text alert whenever there is activity on my report, this could be triggered by new searches for fraudlent loan or credit card applications etc

In the current climate of identity fraud and card theft it's a pretty good investment at £5.99 per month.