Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Some advice needed from dog/puppy experts please

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 09:31 PM
SpudgunRS6
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some advice needed from dog/puppy experts please

i have a 5 year old neutered male doberman. he is as soft as muck and a real darling, he hasnt a bad bone in his body.

for some time ive wanted to add another dog to the family, and have always wanted a staffy. there is a litter close to me, three weeks old, i went and had a look the other day, and virtually had pick of the litter.
so i picked the best pup they had, a lovely brindle male. i will pick him up middle of june.

so the question is, will i have problems with two male dogs in the house? im hoping i wont, as the doby is a right ******* really, and the male staffy will be 'growing up' with him.so im hoping theres no problem with this.

anyone here got experience of this? would i be better off with a bitch coz of the doberman? if im quick i think i could change my pick to a bitch puppy , but id rather have the male i chose.

any advice would really appreciated
many thanks folks
Old 24 April 2007, 09:41 PM
scooby raff
Scooby Newbie

i dont think you should have a problem with there being such a big age difference.
i have a four year old male boxer and bought another two males which were 8 weeks old and he brought them both up if anything the only problem i had and still have he is very protective over them hope this helps
Old 24 April 2007, 09:48 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Go for the male

I have a typical 8 yr old male staffy and have recently introduced him to the rabbit which we have had for 3 years without previous contact between them.

They get on great together and the rabbit can now live permanently in the garden without being caged.

I think if you can fetch home a blanket that the pup has slept on that should help. No doubt they will live happily ever after.
Old 24 April 2007, 09:54 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

You should have no probs, dispite what some people on here think(you know who you are) staffs are great dogs and if brought up with other dogs from a young age you will have no problems. MY staff loves other dogs and only ever wants to play when he meets them out on walks.
Old 24 April 2007, 09:57 PM
loshaw
Scooby Newbie

Try to split them up when they are left alone for long periods fights can occur between dogs no matter how long they have been together ive seen a oldish bullmastiff which was kept with a staff for a few years untill a kennel argument caused blood bath.I Have also seen this in other breeds but with a staff involved it could be costly. Good luck
Old 24 April 2007, 10:21 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
MY staff loves other dogs and only ever wants to play when he meets them out on walks.
Mine was the same or 3 years until he was set upon by a couple of different dogs which turned him into a savage with other dogs.
Old 24 April 2007, 11:03 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I am waiting on my first Boxer pup, Bruno will be with us in two weeks. My plan is to wait until he is 3 to 4 months & add another as i want two of them.
Old 25 April 2007, 08:19 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

scooby raff piccies please mate
Old 25 April 2007, 09:04 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Hi mate.

Having experience with Rotties, ordinarily I would say get a bitch, for the simple reason that generally they will form a closer bond than two males and you will have no dominance issues - the bitch will always rule the roost

However, if your Dobe is pretty submissive anyway, it may not be a problem. Additionally, I know of three people with two males of mixed breeds and one is a staff, and they have had no problems.

Provided you or Mrs Spudgun are clearly pack leader, and you establish quickly whether the Dobe or the Staffy assumes the more dominant role over the other dog, and then work to maintain and promote that (attention first, feeding first, etc, etc), you should be fine.

I suspect the Staffy will be boss, but don't take that as a certainty. The fact the Dobe is neutered will not automatically mean submissive.

Our Rottie male is neutered, and while he's brilliant with people, if an intact male tries it on, he will always stand up for himself.

Problems mainly arise when the dogs are uncertain of ranking, and the owners don't help by adding to the confusion. Or worse, the dogs establish ranking and then the owners contradict that.
Old 25 April 2007, 09:17 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It would help if their first introduction to each other is on neutral ground. On the pavement outside your home would do.
let them have a sniff at each others butt's, then when they are ok with each other, lead them both into your home.
And as it's already been said above, make sure they know you are the alpha male.
Old 25 April 2007, 07:22 PM
SpudgunRS6
Scooby Newbie

many thanks everyone for taking time to reply, its really appreciated.
i feel a lot happier now. i guess theres good and bad in every breed of dog, male or female,and there are no 100% guarentees, but i reckon it will be fine.

thanks again everyone
Old 25 April 2007, 07:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Are the Staffys pedigrees?

I ask because mine is, and He's allergic to just about everything. He's on a gluten free diet, which makes it heart breaking when you can't give him the food he really wants to eat.

He also has a lot of problems with his paws. Gets lots of blisters.

Mongrels don't have these problems, so I'm told.