Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Neigbour parking issues

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 10:02 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neigbour parking issues

I move house on Friday and when viewing the house there has been a car partially blocking my new driveway which I believe is one of the neighbours.

My new house has a driveway that has tall bushes each side of the entrance and this car overhangs one side slightly but won't prevent me access.

Things like this grate on me as I find it inconsiderate but should I be bothered about it? because it does irritate me and I dont live there yet. The wifes' telling me to sort it asap.

I could always get the kids to play football near it.
Old 24 April 2007, 10:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Go an meet the neighbour, have a friendly chat and mention it. You are going to be neighbours after all, try and start on the right foot
Old 24 April 2007, 10:08 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this would **** me off too, had it yrs abck, there tail end was like 4 feet into my drop kerb area, miffed me loads !!

u need to say soemthing as some people dont see the whol epicture and are totally blind to their bad parking

if its a case of they know their doing it and keep doing it, 4 flat tyres and pop a small blade into the corner fo their rear screen wil sort them out
Old 24 April 2007, 10:14 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Go an meet the neighbour, have a friendly chat and mention it. You are going to be neighbours after all, try and start on the right foot
This is my intentions but I know if I were to mention it and was fobbed with "Mr and Mrs xxxxxxx was fine with it" I would drop my self in it with an arsey comment.

I will have to give it a try though.
Old 24 April 2007, 10:17 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

....................The Rig. I would go to prison for that.

If this car was owned by a best pal of mine, would I be as bothered?
Probably not.
Old 24 April 2007, 10:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

We live in the middle of nowhere, but right next to a stable yard. One of the girls constantly kept blocking my drive
I parked infront of her stable. It never happened again, strangely enough
Old 25 April 2007, 08:28 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
... this car overhangs one side slightly but won't prevent me access.
It might be a good idea to live with it for a couple of weeks, then mention to your neighbour that your missus doesn't have the best spatial awareness in the world and ask him if he wouldn't mind parking forward a bit cos you are convinced your missus is goig top damage both cars. If he says no, get her to reverse (towbar first) into the side of him.

If you arrive on Friday, open the front door and then head straight round to let your new neighbour know who is boss you will have a short and miserable stay in that house.

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2007, 08:54 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the "do not want to damage you car" routine.

We have a similar problem as the council have made the space outside our house into (almost) a layby. Everyone visiting the houses near by park there and although there is enough room to park a car if you pull forward enough, most people do not attempt to.

I even had one woman last week park there while I was waiting to turn into the drive. She parked up, got out and started to walk off! - untill I yelled at her to shift the car. She did, but no appology or anything!

Worst cast was a police car that parked there while visiting a house across the road. I was waiting when they returned, very red faced. They could not appologise enough but I stressed that was not the point and if people see them park there then they will think everyone can.

However, I only worry about it when I need to get my car in and out, so it is not often a problem.

I had considered getting the council to paint while lines to deliniate the edges of the drive, but I have not bothered. Not sure if they would do that anyway.
Old 25 April 2007, 09:42 AM
mr_p1ssed_off
Scooby Regular

driveway has tall bushes each side of the entrance
Get the bushes cut back as soon as you can so the full width of your drive is apparent to all.
If he still parks accross your drive it will look even worse
so invite him round for a coffee / beer then when he's going point out how much his car is blocking your drive
then use the comment about how his car is bound to be hit one day as you or your wife are so terrible getting through tight gaps

make out you are doing HIM the favour by getting him to park away from your drive

keep it friendly and light hearted and you should be ok

unless of course he is a total **** and which case swipe his tax disc and get his car towed away

Mr PO
Old 25 April 2007, 10:36 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I agree about not knocking on his door the first day you move in.....not really getting on the front foot with people that you are going to be seeing for years to come but I can see how frustrating it can be.

Do you not have a spare car you can park there for a couple of weeks just to get him/her out of the habit!

I had the same issue with one of my neighbours a couple of years ago. My dad parked outside his house and I had about 5 cars on the road due to one trade or another working on my house. This guy blocked my dads car in with his Range Rover....double parked!!!

I had a word with him but he just got arsey so I lent my dad a car and left his there for 2 weeks!!!

Hes been fine ever since
Old 25 April 2007, 01:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I move house on Friday and when viewing the house there has been a car partially blocking my new driveway which I believe is one of the neighbours.

My new house has a driveway that has tall bushes each side of the entrance and this car overhangs one side slightly but won't prevent me access.

Things like this grate on me as I find it inconsiderate but should I be bothered about it? because it does irritate me and I dont live there yet. The wifes' telling me to sort it asap.

I could always get the kids to play football near it.

Could he not have been parking like that because your new house has been empty for a while? Maybe the previous owners didn't have a car?

I would suspect that the day you move in your neighbour will park appropriately. If his car is parked there the day you move in, simple knock on his door an politely ask if he wouldn't mind moving his car as you don't want to accidently damage it while moving your stuff in.
By that small conversation he'll be pleased that you didn't want to risk damaging his car. Get off to the right footing with your neighbour and everything should be fine. Demand he moves it or else, and you'll spend years having petty spats with your new neighbours.
Old 25 April 2007, 02:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
It might be a good idea to live with it for a couple of weeks, then mention to your neighbour that your missus doesn't have the best spatial awareness in the world and ask him if he wouldn't mind parking forward a bit cos you are convinced your missus is goig top damage both cars. If he says no, get her to reverse (towbar first) into the side of him.
Brilliant
Old 25 April 2007, 02:04 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Why not use a plasma cutter to neatly cut away the portion of the car that's overhanging your drive?
Old 25 April 2007, 02:35 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Why not use a plasma cutter to neatly cut away the portion of the car that's overhanging your drive?
That's what I'd do