Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Snag list on a new house?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2007, 10:51 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snag list on a new house?

have just completed on a new turn key property, and have arranged to pick the keys up from the site office in the morning. The foreman is unable to go around the house with us,but has said to just let him know later whatever problems we find.
My question is, should i hold out signing for the keys until he is available to accompany, or should i just go ahead?
Old 25 April 2007, 10:55 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I'd say just go ahead... assuming the house is covered by the NHBC, they are responsible for rectifying defects for 2 years (pretty sure it's 2 years).

John.
Old 25 April 2007, 11:39 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

yes it is two years if there is an nhbc policy in place - although make sure you read the extent of cover. people often assume the policy covers a lot more than it actually does. serious structural defects are of course covered for up to 10yrs though
Old 25 April 2007, 11:56 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

not really worried about the main structure etc, its more that the fixtures and fittings are in perfect order etc.
I know for a fact that some joiners were working after the carpets were laid, so if there's a dirty big footprint somewhere will they try and blame me and deny all responsibility.......thats what i am more concerned about,
Old 26 April 2007, 12:46 AM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Good point.

It'll be very easy for them to shift the blame to you for some petty resons like stains and marks, let alone damage and poor finishes.

I'd ask for someone - anyone - to follow you around so you can create your snag list. And then give them a copy.

Old 26 April 2007, 01:12 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

the housing people should have their own snaggers who will accompany you around the house. You could always employ your own professional snagger to help if theres a problem. Just make sure you get every little detail down slowely and precisly, only do a maximum of 2 snag handouts in a seperate period as larger housing firms hate having loads of sheets of paper handed in at different intervals for the same house. The foreman then gets it in the neck and is less willing to help then. lol
Old 26 April 2007, 11:16 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Youve completed anyway you say so the house is yours whether the fixtures and fittings are right or not.

Chip
Old 26 April 2007, 01:08 PM
scoobybeth
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by john_s
I'd say just go ahead... assuming the house is covered by the NHBC, they are responsible for rectifying defects for 2 years (pretty sure it's 2 years).

John.

yes thats right, when we moved in our new house we didnt have anyone to come around with us, we did our own snag list and gave it to the site manager and eventually got it all done
Old 26 April 2007, 01:24 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

So if there's a footprint on the carpet you're not going to move in? I hope you have very careful removals men. Might be better to do the snagging after they've been and gone.
Old 26 April 2007, 02:54 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by iamevilhomer
have just completed on a new turn key property, and have arranged to pick the keys up from the site office in the morning. The foreman is unable to go around the house with us,but has said to just let him know later whatever problems we find.
My question is, should i hold out signing for the keys until he is available to accompany, or should i just go ahead?
I would hold out.

99% of the many problems you will find will not be covered by NHBC
Old 26 April 2007, 03:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

House builders are responsible for first two years of defects, then NHBC look after it for the next 8 years (but it is a true 10 year cover)

FYI NHBC is there to protect the builder and it's extremely hard to claim off them (as stated by the last poster..)
Old 26 April 2007, 05:42 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

the housebuilder is responsible for the ten year period, but with limited liability in the last 8. if the nhbc are contacted in the last 8 yrs and find there is a relevant claim issue, then they contact the builder first to give them the opportunity to sort the problem themselves. if the builder doesn't rectify the problem, the nhbc appoint someone else to (and i think they can reclaim costs from the original builder).

i wouldn't say that the policy was there to protect the builder - it just doesn;t have the comprehensive level of cover people would assume - bit like TPF&T really
Old 26 April 2007, 08:14 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

What you need is this....

Snagging.org - New Homes Snagging - Home

They have an 80 page list of things to check as you inspect a new house. I think they charge £15 to download a copy but a private email to myself should be enough to secure you or anyone else a copy! ;-)

Mark
Old 26 April 2007, 09:10 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I completed before I did my snagging list. The inspection was when I signed for the keys, but I signed another form for the snagging list.

I found items spotted in this inspection fixed within a week, I left a key at the sales office. For all the other issues afterwards, I had to then deal with customer services which took longer to rectify.

Don't forget to check all the sinks/toilets etc for cracks and test absolutely everything windows, cupboards, doors, toilet flushing, taps..... inside/outside...

Have fun
Old 26 April 2007, 09:46 PM
MJB2
Scooby Regular

What HHxx said about checking taps etc. My builders did not check my gas meters etc for a few days so run the taps and check the heating out. Only problem, dont have the heating on too hot as you want the house to dry out on its own. Leave vents on the windows open as well!

Do a search on here for a snag list. If you cant find it, send me a message and i will send you one but no idea where it is on my pc.

HTH

edit - ive found it, pm me if you want me to send it

Last edited by MJB2; 26 April 2007 at 10:02 PM.