Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hidden orange SMS delivery charges..

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2007, 04:15 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hidden orange SMS delivery charges..

Rang orange last month to cancel my pay monthly and they offered me a deal i couldnt refuse so decided to stay, anyway upon reading through this months bill i noticed the swines have started charging for SMS delivery. Its nearly 1p per message and over the course of my free 1000txts they have charged me around £9-10. To say im pissed off is an understatment as i thought i was lowering my bill amount per month with their new offer.. Now i havent had any prior notification from orange or even given my aggreement for this and ive been with orange for years and years and not once have i been charged for this with previous phones or contracts. Its like a paying the postman to deliver your letters and and then paying him again to tell you they were delivered safely.. Its absolutely disgusting they have started doing this so im now left wondering what to do.

Do i pay the bill and try to recoup the cost or shall i write to main office and try to get it revoked. I have since switched off the delivery reports so wont be caught out again but its abit of a pain as ive been use to having that secondary delivery text come through for many years.

Maybe they have notified this new charge in their terms and conditions (sly) so if anyone could point out where it stipulates this then i would be most grateful and just cough up happily knowing never to switch them on again.

also any info/names/address's for orange main management would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Jono
Old 26 April 2007, 05:45 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Its like a paying the postman to deliver your letters and and then paying him again to tell you they were delivered safely..
You do that now, its called recorded delivery.
Old 26 April 2007, 06:13 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yeah I noticed that a while back too, I don't remember them ever telling me they were about to start charging for what has always been a free service with them.
Old 26 April 2007, 08:35 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter has just signed up to Dolphin 35 where she gets FREE Unlimited Texts ................. you saying they are charging 1p a text????
Old 26 April 2007, 08:38 AM
mr_p1ssed_off
Scooby Regular

Found out the same thing myself only yesterday when I logged on online to see an itemised bill.

.009p + vat 1p inc vat) per reciept - the robbing barstewards

they're getting a verbal bashing from me today

Mr P1ssed Off with Orange
Old 26 April 2007, 08:39 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

This should help mate if you want a moan at them

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ghlight=orange
Old 26 April 2007, 09:04 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

let me know how you get on, i just checked my bill to see they have charged me reciepts aswell, robbers
Old 26 April 2007, 09:11 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My G/F works in the call centre dealing with business users, i think its quit ironic that she has an o2 phone

she even upgraded her o2 account last week and i was in the room when she done so, she had a bit of banter with the woman on the o2 line about how she did the same job etc etc

thought it was a cracking line when she told the o2 woman that there is no way on earth she would have an orange account LOL, she even gets some kind of decent "free" deal for being an employee.
that says it all

she hates the place TBH LOL
Old 26 April 2007, 09:14 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

forgot to add, she is constantly getting told off for spending TO LONG speaking with the customers

the genral rule at orange is "**** them off ASAP"

and they are marked on how long the average call is, she is always "last" for taking that extra few mins to make sure the punter is happy,

NOOOOOOO says her boss, get rid of them anyway you can

younger brother used to work there a few years back and managed to get quite high up at the time
Old 26 April 2007, 09:28 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
My daughter has just signed up to Dolphin 35 where she gets FREE Unlimited Texts ................. you saying they are charging 1p a text????
They are charging for the delivery notification some people use when they send a text. Depends if she uses it or not.
Old 26 April 2007, 09:32 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

I am going to look into this. I have unlimited text messages. if they are charging me i will hit the roof!
Old 26 April 2007, 09:57 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Right. Just been on the dog to Orange and you only get charged if your are getting delivery reports. I don't so who cares!
Old 26 April 2007, 11:06 AM
KittyKat2838
Scooby Regular

Here you go guys. This has got to be the hardest address to find anywhere lol. Only reason I know it is cos I used to work for them. Used to being the point here. As StickyMickey says it's all about targets and how long your on the phone with them. Not about customer service!! So 2 weeks ago after the whole team was b*******d for the previous days performance I got my little coat and bag, told my manager I was off home and wouldn't be back How good did it feel? You'll never know the relief I felt as I walked out laughing hysterically. Sorry O/T but here it is x

Orange PCS
Correspondence Department
PO box 10
Patchway
Bristol
BS32 4BQ
Old 26 April 2007, 12:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Does this charge also apply to PAYG??

Anyone else HATE Orange with a vengence??
Old 26 April 2007, 03:29 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Does this charge also apply to PAYG??

Anyone else HATE Orange with a vengence??
Yep
Old 26 April 2007, 03:51 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I keep saying I'm going to change but can't be bothered with the hassle!!
Old 26 April 2007, 03:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KittyKat2838
Here you go guys. This has got to be the hardest address to find anywhere lol. Only reason I know it is cos I used to work for them. Used to being the point here. As StickyMickey says it's all about targets and how long your on the phone with them. Not about customer service!! So 2 weeks ago after the whole team was b*******d for the previous days performance I got my little coat and bag, told my manager I was off home and wouldn't be back How good did it feel? You'll never know the relief I felt as I walked out laughing hysterically. Sorry O/T but here it is x

Orange PCS
Correspondence Department
PO box 10
Patchway
Bristol
BS32 4BQ
ha ha ha

i have heard some full on horror stories to be honest, orange took my little brother to court or something along those lines to try and recover an estimated 30k they claim he swindled out of them LMAO

when the G/F started a few months back as a stop gap to bring in some pennys while waiting for the next uni course in September, she was asked if she knew anybody already in the company, she mentions my brothers name and everybody stopped when they were doing PMSL

"workid" is a legend
Old 26 April 2007, 04:29 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

right guys going to need some help on this, i need to find where it states in the terms and conditions about sms text delivery charges asap. If it doesnt say anything i will be writing to main office and OfCom (complaints for telecommunications)

Could really defo do with some advice and help here if anyone has experience dealing with this type of thing
Old 26 April 2007, 04:47 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Never understood the point of conformations anyway, they are no proof of the text being read?

I never have any texts I send "go missing", if they did I could understand the point of the delivery notification.
Old 26 April 2007, 04:51 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

STOP STOP !!! Before anybody complains - I had the same issue :

They charge you for delivery reports, not the actual message.

To prevent the charge being billed all you do is turn off delivery reports. They have made all customers aware of it, as its in their T&C's.

If you have free/unlimited texts then they are indeed free - just turn off the delivery reports !!

Hope this helps!

Jai
Old 26 April 2007, 04:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
Never understood the point of conformations anyway, they are no proof of the text being read?

I never have any texts I send "go missing", if they did I could understand the point of the delivery notification.
Women use it to time between how long it takes you to get the message and reply. any longer than 1 minute and you're clearly up to no good..... well in their minds anyway!
Old 26 April 2007, 05:11 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by impreza_sports_nutter
STOP STOP !!! Before anybody complains - I had the same issue :

They charge you for delivery reports, not the actual message.

To prevent the charge being billed all you do is turn off delivery reports. They have made all customers aware of it, as its in their T&C's.

If you have free/unlimited texts then they are indeed free - just turn off the delivery reports !!

Hope this helps!

Jai
Ive swtiched them off already. They never made me aware of it. I love the way they expect you to go through the T and C's with a fine tooth coomb. Still want my bill revised and this taken into account though. I wont b so foolish next month then.

any idea of where it stipulates this in the T&C's?
Old 27 April 2007, 12:46 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

turn off your delivery reports as thats what they are charging for as when i took my orange account out in october last year she said that they would charge 1p per message so i turned them off im on dolphin 35 still and my bill is still up to £70 a month!
Old 27 April 2007, 01:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido

Well seeing as SMS is a "store and forward" service, there are many opportunities for texts to go missing or be delayed. IIRC one new year's eve (probably the millennium) some of the messages sent at midnight hadn't been delivered 24 hours later.
Old 27 April 2007, 05:14 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

How do they notify you? Using the same congested SMS service? Then there's an opportunity for the notification to go missing even though the message was delivered
Old 27 April 2007, 08:25 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Don't you have to turn them ON in the first place?

Something else you might not know, Orange World is FREE for 2 months, after which you automatically get charged £5 per month if you havent cancelled it :|

Orange are becoming the mobiles no1 scammers!
Old 27 April 2007, 08:30 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
Well seeing as SMS is a "store and forward" service, there are many opportunities for texts to go missing or be delayed. IIRC one new year's eve (probably the millennium) some of the messages sent at midnight hadn't been delivered 24 hours later.

New Years Eve is an obvious exception, for the other 364 days of the year I never have any problems with texts going missing.

Saying that I haven't had any problem on New Years Eve for the last few years anyway
Old 27 April 2007, 08:32 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Don't you have to turn them ON in the first place?

Something else you might not know, Orange World is FREE for 2 months, after which you automatically get charged £5 per month if you havent cancelled it :|

Orange are becoming the mobiles no1 scammers!

I didnt know anything about orange world i will have to check my bills thanks for mentioning that!