Dog crates

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2007, 09:01 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog crates

I'm getting a new puppy in a few weeks and have been doing my homework. All the experts seem to agree that dog crate training is the way ahead. Has anyone done this crate training and if so, have you any comments on it?
Thanks
Old 27 April 2007, 09:06 PM
K9FAD
Scooby Newbie

Have tried this and it does work.
However you have to make make sure that the dog is let out often enough for it to do "it bussiness"and time out for play time.
Old 27 April 2007, 09:13 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

Thanks for the info. I think I'll find it difficult to put her in it cos she'll be sooooo cute! Apparently I'm not allowed to carry her everywhere either
I'll be doing it by the book so fingers crossed. Makes you wonder how we did it all those years ago. Got through lots of newspapers I guess
Old 27 April 2007, 09:30 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

i bought a gigantic crate from 'petsathome' for our staffie puppy, i covered the exterior with an old sheet (it was a cage type) to let her feel more secure, and give it a 'den' feel for her, she uses it as her bed and is apparantly happy to be locked in at night and when we're out, although i have recently started leaving the door of the crate open and she hasn't chewed anything or done anything she shouldn't have yet in the house, but she is only left for 3 hrs max at a time during the day. At first, i thought it seemed a little cruel to lock her in, but if the crate is used properly i.e. not as a hamster cage for a dog, then the dog should have no probs. We only lock her in now if we have dog-wary visitors.
Old 27 April 2007, 10:07 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

My Boxer puppy hated it, She pooed herself, It has been used once and is for sale, not every dog takes to them.
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 April 2007, 12:43 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

My only tip would be, dont use it as a form of punishment. Make it a safe haven, where pup never gets shouted at, and they'll take to it like a duck to water. My youngster has one mainly to prevent him chewing(which he is very good at), and my older dog gets in it now with him. The door is open most of the time and they are both quite happy, although when i go out, he's locked in there on his own. The older dog has her bed nearby though. Give them plenty of chews and their own toys when you go out, and you'll have a happy doggy. I recommend a 'kong' stuffed with bread, wetted with a bit of chicken stock. Keeps them occupied for hours as the bread goes all gooey and difficult to get out lol