Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Super duper DIY block paving weed/moss killer

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2007, 09:43 AM
Fart Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super duper DIY block paving weed/moss killer

After spending last summer getting all the block paving removed of all of its weed and moss infestation using the jet washer (after failed attempts with path clear, weedkiller and Jeyes). I am now back to sqaure one again

All-in-one growth killers are expensive (path clear, weedol etc). So I propose this:

A concoction of the following mixed together and applied in a spray-doc/watering can:

Sodium Chlorite: Kill weeds, has lasting effect of several months but doesn't work on moss

Jeyes fluid: Kills anything green, lasting effect on moss, but weeds come back quickly

Lawn moss killer soluble granuals (to beef up the jeyes).

All the above can be bought quite cheaply. So I'm going to mix up doses of that lot together and apply it all in one go; hopefully then I won't need to touch the block pavers again this year.

I guess disposable overalls and protective gloves are called for, seeing the mixed solution will probably be quite nasty. And I don't care if pollutes the soil; thats the intention; to stop fresh stuff growing
Old 29 April 2007, 09:59 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Let me know if it works as I need to do the same. Having said that, my propane-powered weed flamethrower certainly makes weeding more fun!
Old 29 April 2007, 10:20 AM
muttly66
Scooby Regular

Armillatox will do the trick
Old 29 April 2007, 10:34 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Is there any weed killer products out there that is safe to use on grass, or will they all kill any grass that is there

I have a load in the back garden that needs killing, but my need to re-turf afterwards

edited to add, it has to be safe for pets too

Last edited by Sonic'; 29 April 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 29 April 2007, 11:09 AM
Fart Man
Scooby Regular

Yup: Verdone 2 is safe on lawns, mix a dose into watering can and off you go

Kills weeds, doesn't kill grass (or moss).

Not that good on clover or perlwort, but if you mix a strong solution into a spray gun and spray any bad patches individually.

Once under control just use the spray gun every time you see a new weed, or treat with a feed&weed granuals once or twice a year (note: the "gem" branded feed and weed is usually a fair bit cheaper than "evergreen" branded stuff - if you can find a place that sells it). Will need a spreder though (or buy a "grasshopper" then refill afterwards with the cheaper "gem" branded stuff).

Edit: all above is not safe for pets (well, put it this way; I can't recall reading it on the labels)

The problem with Armillatox is its boidegradable and allows new growth to reform after its done its job, so continual retreatment is needed and with 200m2 of area I don't want to do it more than once a year. So, not the cheapest of solutions. Thanks for mentioning it though.

Mixed into my cocoction instead of the soluble lawn mosskiller is feasible though (which I belive uses the same active ingredients anyway). But the stuff I have is cheaper.

Last edited by Fart Man; 29 April 2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: not pet safe
Old 29 April 2007, 11:42 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Fartman, I just been to bee and queue and got some Verdone Extra, it is marked as safe for pets once dried

It is however harmful to aquatic life etc, so just need to be careful around the pond

Wasn't cheap but the box I got covers 600square metres, my grassed area is about 12 sq m so should see me through for quite some time

I also got a spray gun with the verdone extra ready made, but once that is used up, I can make up a batch to fill the gun back up with

I will be doing it shortly, but no doubt it takes a few days to start working, failing that its out with the butane & propane blow torch (they dont last that long though)

Steve
Old 29 April 2007, 06:00 PM
Fart Man
Scooby Regular

Yeah I was about to post that; Been in the garden this afternoon and checked the label of the Verdone whilst I was in the shed - all ok.

The feed and weed granuals (both Levington and Gem ) are safe too, but I'd wash it in first and let it dry before letting the dog have a roll on it.

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2007, 06:27 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Have done it earlier this afternoon, and they are showing signs of curling up now

Hopefully should see them diminish over the next few days, maybe need to treat it again next week, I know the label says one treatment per year, but there are a lot, and quite tall too !!