Old 29 April 2007, 10:23 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet still we fight !

YouTube - Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

YouTube - Carl Sagan, "We are one planet"

Come on, when are we going to wake up.
Changes took place more dramatically, more rapidly, in every facet of our world and in our individual lives this Century, This has been the most turbulent century in history. More has happened in more places with respect to technological achievement than in any other. Yet, we are a strange people that have elements that 'hi-jack' aircrafts, allow people to suffer needlessly, bomb innocent children, adults, say we are all about peace and then prepare for war.

Now that we've learned how to totally destroy everything, perhaps we could spend the next few thousand years learning to get along.

Andy
Old 29 April 2007, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree entirely with what you say Andy. The trouble is that we also have human nature to contend with as well. There will always be those who are thirsty for power, influence and money, and who are prepared to walk over everyone in order to get it. They will do it in different ways, either by attempted force or by political means. There seems to be very few people nowadays like those who used to enter politics with the altruistic idea of doing good for others. Its all to do with personal ambition and that dictates how they go about their self serving careers. Maybe things will go full circle in the future, but I doubt that any of us will see it.

Les
Old 29 April 2007, 07:05 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Hopefully I can download this "cosmos" series he did that profoundly affected so many others with straight talking and clear thinking.

I am now also beginning to piece together why the "Matrix" was such a hit a few years back.
Our insatiable appetite for information on how and why we are here.
Hugo weaving had Sagans influence for sure. !
1996 was a sad loss for humanity itself, such a shame I wasn't of an era where I knew about the works of this man.

Andy
Old 29 April 2007, 07:21 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

`...so they could become momentary masters of a fraction of dot.´

thats so well put
Steve
Old 29 April 2007, 07:29 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
I agree entirely with what you say Andy. The trouble is that we also have human nature to contend with as well. There will always be those who are thirsty for power, influence and money, and who are prepared to walk over everyone in order to get it. They will do it in different ways, either by attempted force or by political means. There seems to be very few people nowadays like those who used to enter politics with the altruistic idea of doing good for others. Its all to do with personal ambition and that dictates how they go about their self serving careers. Maybe things will go full circle in the future, but I doubt that any of us will see it.

Les
Agree Les
Ignorance is the cause of the majority of problems.
Education about life, respect, mankinds previous mistakes and how the individual should relate to those around them is the answer.
And as we can see the education system clearly fails many people in many parts of the world dramatically - including the UK.
Old 29 April 2007, 07:50 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I think I'm one of them Steve, not once can I really recollect anything served to me in the form of information at school that made me go "wow, I want to learn about this". for eg, What I learnt from chanting the times table parrot fashion taught me absolutely nothing.
I'd love to sit in on one of todays classes to see if anything is much different.
I do feel I was shaped by the schools I went to and learnt very little of where we came from and the great universe around us.
Most of my learning came from my own hands on experiences at home and at college afterwards (which didn't include the cosmos) so perhaps that's why I am what I am, mechanically minded rather than one of intellectual type.
Schools were quite happy to ram Religious education down your throat though IIRC !! and I had to take that for the first few years until you yourself were allowed to decide the subjects to take for the GCSE exams.
Even then they were somewhat restricted! (but I didn't go anywhere near RE again)
I remember arguing the toss with one of the Tutors about the fact I had chosen too many science based subjects. WTF... that's what I'm interested in, shouldn't they be nurturing that "need to know more" attitude of a young mind.
I never got over that one.. and to stick the boot in the only subject left was ART !!
I could hardly draw a stick man FFS !
Back then, you were kid and you went with the flow for fear of wrath from the head or parents if you rebelled.
but where did it get me...

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 29 April 2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 30 April 2007, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Agree Les
Ignorance is the cause of the majority of problems.
Education about life, respect, mankinds previous mistakes and how the individual should relate to those around them is the answer.
And as we can see the education system clearly fails many people in many parts of the world dramatically - including the UK.
Very true!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2007, 12:34 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

is it me or does carl sagan sound like agent smith...?!?!
Old 30 April 2007, 06:57 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Read post 3 Brihoppy

Andy
Old 01 May 2007, 11:08 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Read post 3 Brihoppy