Catholic Marriage

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2007, 12:38 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catholic Marriage

Hello

After solving various *issues* finally it looks as though I can get married in Church. I am already legally married and have been for 6 years.

Before I go and talk to the Catholic priest (I'm not Catholic), how long should I expect before I can get married? Is asking for this Saturday a bit much

Steve
Old 10 May 2007, 12:45 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

You can only get a blessing, not a marriahe.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Depends on teh Priest but a mate had to go and have 10 weekly visits/chats with him for an hour at a time ...

Utter Joke IMHO

Then the wedding itself, stand up sit down, stand up sit down, stand up sit down etc etc etc etc etc
Old 10 May 2007, 12:47 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
You can only get a blessing, not a marriahe.
wrong.. Im NOT a cath.. my wife IS yet we got married in the biggest Catholic church in Birmingham

*and yes, I think this saturday is a tad quick *
Old 10 May 2007, 12:52 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure a Catholic Priest will not marry someone who has been divorced.

You can only get married in the catholic church if the previous marriage was annulled. Don't know if this applies to you as you are not a Catholic, but it definalty applies to catholics.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:53 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Also if you already legally married, how can you get married again?
Old 10 May 2007, 12:55 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail

You can only get married in the catholic church if the previous marriage was annulled. Don't know if this applies to you as you are not a Catholic, but it definalty applies to catholics.
aye, my dad and his second wife had to marry in a Cof E church due to both being divorcee's and both Catholic's
Old 10 May 2007, 12:56 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
wrong.. Im NOT a cath.. my wife IS yet we got married in the biggest Catholic church in Birmingham

*and yes, I think this saturday is a tad quick *
He states he is married already, so the church service is purely ceremonial. The church will not marry someone who is alreadu married, they will only perform a blessing ceremony.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:57 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

In any case perhaps you should think about adapting the religion of this country and become Anglicans.
Old 10 May 2007, 12:57 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

And some more info, I am not a Catholic and got married in a Catholic church, you are expected to attend a number of talks with the Priest and other members of the church. I managed to avoid most of this as I was living in England at the time and got married in Scotland.

I didn't manage to avoid one of the 'chats' by two older members of the church, talking about sex and how an active sex life is encouraged.....blah blah.....it was hard enough trying not to laugh, never mind the effort it took to remove the mental image image if two crinkly old chuchies humping

metal image is now back.........
Old 10 May 2007, 01:01 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I didn't manage to avoid one of the 'chats' by two older members of the church, talking about sex and how an active sex life is encouraged.....blah blah.....it was hard enough trying not to laugh, never mind the effort it took to remove the mental image image if two crinkly old chuchies humping

Did they ask you to tug them off?
Old 10 May 2007, 01:03 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
After solving various *issues* finally it looks as though I can get married in Church.
Renounced Satan or found a cure for vampirism? (sorry )
Old 10 May 2007, 01:04 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Did they ask you to tug them off?
Nah, they found out I was older than 16
hectic
Scooby Regular

And some more info, I am not a Catholic and got married in a Catholic church, you are expected to attend a number of talks with the Priest and other members of the church. I managed to avoid most of this as I was living in England at the time and got married in Scotland.

think I had two of the chats.. one was literally a couple of days before the wedding (right after the run-through) when the wife-to - be as she was then had to go 'confess her sins'.... I got 'collared ' (excuse the pun) by the 'brotherhood'..
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
Renounced Satan or found a cure for vampirism? (sorry )
My guess is homosexuality, but they'll always relapse.
Old 10 May 2007, 01:06 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

He states he is married already, so the church service is purely ceremonial. The church will not marry someone who is alreadu married, they will only perform a blessing ceremony.
ooops my bad
Old 10 May 2007, 07:10 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I'm not religious, my Dads family is Jewish, my Mums family is CofE and my Girlfriend/family is Catholic.

Where the **** can i get married
Abroad
Old 10 May 2007, 07:20 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Yep I married a Catholic girl, had the same talks as above , active sex life etc.

He also told me how using any form of contraception would cause my wife to become "Sex Starved" and we would have marital difficulties so we must not use any.

This lecture from a 65 year old Priest who has never had a sexual relationship. (Well so he said)

Cheers
Lee
Old 10 May 2007, 08:09 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

FWIW I'm notionally catholic and married a CoE girl - had the same feckin lectures for several weeks from the vicar of her local church "or you don't get married in my Church, etc". Pain in the **** but we wanted to get married in her church so went through with it fairly happily. **** all difference really between high Anglican and Catholicism anyway, unless you're a bit Henry VIII and "the religion of your country" doesn't suit you so you make up a new one
Old 10 May 2007, 08:23 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the replies. I was previously married and divorced, but have managed to obtain 'Freedom to Marriage' from the Church through various means (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ded-italy.html and https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ct-1935-a.html).

I had a civil marriage with my current wife 6 years ago, but because she is Catholic this causes all kinds of problems (for her eternal soul apparently) so will go and get 'married' in Church or divorced (it is that serious). So as just wondering about the classes etc.. I hope that you are not right about the 10 weeks several lessons thing.

Steve
Old 10 May 2007, 08:49 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Religion. Its all barking mad.
Old 10 May 2007, 09:04 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Thank God I'm getting married at the Registry Office

Good luck
Old 10 May 2007, 11:20 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Thank you for the replies. I was previously married and divorced, but have managed to obtain 'Freedom to Marriage' from the Church through various means (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ded-italy.html and https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ct-1935-a.html).

I had a civil marriage with my current wife 6 years ago, but because she is Catholic this causes all kinds of problems (for her eternal soul apparently) so will go and get 'married' in Church or divorced (it is that serious). So as just wondering about the classes etc.. I hope that you are not right about the 10 weeks several lessons thing.
Steve
You're in deep man, it's the full 20 weeks intense training for you. Married, divorced, remarried at a civil ceremony.....might even need to get the Pope involved

Anyway, in all honestly, fair play and I wish you all the best, it obviously means a lot your wife and you seem to have gone to some pretty extreme lengths to ensure that her 'eternal sole' is well looked after. Would be interested in the full story.............but hey I'm just nosey
Old 11 May 2007, 12:28 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

its amazing the catholic church will tolerate sex ootside marriage and b@stard kids according tae the bible the b@stard child cant enter the congregation not even till the tenth generation , chances of that in britain r impossible

but they wont let an innocent man or woman who had a divorce and wanna purify their relationship by getting married

that is pure sad indeed
Old 11 May 2007, 01:03 AM
Sanjita Patel
BANNED

Originally Posted by moses
its amazing the catholic church will tolerate sex ootside marriage and b@stard kids according tae the bible the b@stard child cant enter the congregation not even till the tenth generation , chances of that in britain r impossible

but they wont let an innocent man or woman who had a divorce and wanna purify their relationship by getting married

that is pure sad indeed
Well said bud.

I swear bro all religion is good. i dae nae agree with the principles of other religions but it makes people better people, wit their families and everything bro.

I swear bro wen i hear people rip into religion i cry fae days bro i really dae, its so sad.

Ameen tae thae n peace oot bro
Old 11 May 2007, 08:39 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

that is pure sad indeed
Well said bud.

I swear bro all religion is good. i dae nae agree with the principles of other religions but it makes people better people, wit their families and everything bro.

I swear bro wen i hear people rip into religion i cry fae days bro i really dae, its so sad.

Ameen tae thae n peace oot bro
Moses....

Didn't think your twins were old enough to type yet ????

Old 11 May 2007, 11:51 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Update: Just seen the Priest .. Woo-hoo, 9th June!!! (this year)

Steve
Old 11 May 2007, 12:00 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Nah, they found out I was older than 16