Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Neighbors Conifers too tall, what do we do?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2007, 02:29 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbors Conifers too tall, what do we do?

Hey,

Our neighbors have about 4 conifers in there garden all of which are right next to our house and are about 15ft taller than our property (40ftish?!).

What can we do about getting these buggers trimmed? At the moment they block quite a bit of morning sunlight out of our garden, not so bad in the sumer when the sun is high.

The owner no longer lives in the house, instead it sounds like hes renting it out. He's quite powerful in the local area so councils are likely to be on his side for everything!

What can we do?
Old 14 May 2007, 02:32 PM
AllTalk
BANNED

Lop them .....
Old 14 May 2007, 02:37 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

cut them and ask later, i did it. paid 500 quid to get someone to come in and cut the trees right back. once there gone what are they going to do, make you put them back?
Old 14 May 2007, 02:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Kill your neighbours.
Old 14 May 2007, 02:39 PM
LordOfTheRings
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Poison the bloody things
Old 14 May 2007, 02:39 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Kill your neighbours.
i like that, kill your neighbours and put them through the chipper thing that they use for chopping up tree bits
Old 14 May 2007, 02:40 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LordOfTheRings
Poison the bloody things
again another good idea, drill a couple of holes around the base and pour diesel into it
Old 14 May 2007, 02:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Check the legislation, there were some changes recently. I forget how many, but more than so many trees is considered to be a hedge and as such mustn't be allowed to grow more than, I think 6ft high.
High Hedges Law & disappointed hedge victims
Old 14 May 2007, 02:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The Government were meant to be introducing the Leylandi Law to give councils the power to 'lop' trees (or hedges) that grew over 2 metres and obscured light etc..

Google may be your friend, but after asking the neighbours and they say no, your only serious remit will be the councils planning officer, or one **** of a large chainsaw
Old 14 May 2007, 03:11 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

The so-called High Hedges Law applies to 2 or more evergreen trees. It is a very long-winded process. Councils normally charge about £300 to look into it - you as the complainant will have to pay this and you do not get it back even if you win. Councils will expect you to have tried every reasonable measure before approaching them. This obviously means first speaking to your neighbours, followed by mediation if no compromise is found. Only then will the council get involved.
The law gives the council power to insist that the hedge is reduced to a reasonable height and then maintained at that height. The lowest it can be taken down to is (I think) 2 metres. Councils cannot insist on complete removal. If the owner ignores this then the council has the right to employ a tree surgeon and charge this to the owner.
Bear in mind that the above takes a long time. Even if you get this far, the owner will be given a certain time period in which to carry out the work. For instance, if the council were to pass a judgement now, it is likely that the work would not have to be carried out for several months, in case there are any birds nesting in the trees.
If at all possible, sort it amicably with the owner. For example, if he does ever want to sell he probably does not want to have to mention a dispute. Also, as the High Hedge Law is part of the Anti-social behaviour Act, he would effectively have an ASBO placed on the hedge, applicable to any future owner.
All the above is my understanding of the act, and note that I have looked into it from the perspective of the hedge owner, so dont take any of it as gospel.

Steve
Old 14 May 2007, 03:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SlimJ_2005
Hey,

Our neighbors have about 4 conifers in there garden all of which are right next to our house and are about 15ft taller than our property (40ftish?!).

What can we do about getting these buggers trimmed? At the moment they block quite a bit of morning sunlight out of our garden, not so bad in the sumer when the sun is high.

The owner no longer lives in the house, instead it sounds like hes renting it out. He's quite powerful in the local area so councils are likely to be on his side for everything!

What can we do?
Pray for high winds!
Old 14 May 2007, 03:25 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
cut them and ask later, i did it. paid 500 quid to get someone to come in and cut the trees right back. once there gone what are they going to do, make you put them back?
You can pick or pluck, but can't chop or dig. Unless you want to wear some thick silver bracelets.
Old 14 May 2007, 03:33 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Have you tried speaking to him?
Old 14 May 2007, 03:34 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

i would say its tough! i am guessing the trees were there when you bought your house???
Old 14 May 2007, 04:52 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Kilo of salt at the base of each tree, plenty of hose action to make sure it disolves into the ground.
Job done, with the added advantage that nothing will ever grow there again.
astraboy.
Old 14 May 2007, 05:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Kilo of salt at the base of each tree, plenty of hose action to make sure it disolves into the ground.
Job done, with the added advantage that nothing will ever grow there again.
astraboy.
Except of course that salt dissolves in water and will be leeched away over time.
Old 14 May 2007, 05:34 PM
Shanny
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Have you tried speaking to him?
I had two conifers in my garden that were the same. My neighbour asked if I would trim them and I did. Maybe your neighbour might do the same?
Old 14 May 2007, 05:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Drill a hole in each trunk, insert large firework, light and run
Old 14 May 2007, 05:45 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

The salt thing is a good one, speaking as a tree surgeon, gently expose the main roots on your side of the trees and split the root bark. Rub salt in and mix with the soil you fill the hole in with. Make sure that you recover the ground with the fallen crap from the trees, so it appears undisturbed.
Could take as little as a week for the trees to look ill, and will usually die within a month.
Just a tip though. Make sure you are not in a conservation area, as anything with a diameter above 4 inches at 1 metre will be protected, and the council may investigate. They will look for salt poisoning and you may end up withh a £20000 bill per tree!!.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
The salt thing is a good one, speaking as a tree surgeon, gently expose the main roots on your side of the trees and split the root bark. Rub salt in and mix with the soil you fill the hole in with. Make sure that you recover the ground with the fallen crap from the trees, so it appears undisturbed.
Could take as little as a week for the trees to look ill, and will usually die within a month.
Just a tip though. Make sure you are not in a conservation area, as anything with a diameter above 4 inches at 1 metre will be protected, and the council may investigate. They will look for salt poisoning and you may end up withh a £20000 bill per tree!!.
And do you think your neighbour wont retaliate.
What stupid advice.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:59 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

What reason does he give for not allowing you to trim them?
Old 14 May 2007, 10:03 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'd be more concerned about the bloody roots myself - don't they leech all the moisture out of the soil?
Old 15 May 2007, 08:45 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

If you are on clay, get a surveyors report, conifers do leach moisture and can cause subsidence in drought. More than enough reason to have them felled.
Old 15 May 2007, 08:47 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
And do you think your neighbour wont retaliate.
What stupid advice.
The thread asked for ideas as to what to do. As someone who comes across this on a regular basis, I offered the most common route to solve the problem.
Unless the neighbour knows alot about trees, they are likely to be none the wiser as to the cause of death.
Old 19 May 2007, 08:35 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

He doesnt live in this house now, apparently renting out although the house has been empty for a few months (people with too much money!), we have spoke to his gardener but he says he doesnt want to do anything about them, as far as he's concerned they block the view of our property. We would cut them if he gave us permission/paid the expense.

Yes, the trees were there when we moved, but considerably shorter than they are now, these things grow over time They now block out a considerable amount of light.

High winds is a good idea, but not such a good idea if they fall onto your house breaking a roof!

Poisoning them is a good idea, but would look suspicious if all 5 died at the same time!

Going through the council seems long winded and time consuming from what you guys have said. Guess we'll just have to speak to him when he's about... whenever that maybe!
Old 19 May 2007, 09:09 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

You could always burn some garden waste,but be careful that the fire doesnt get out of control