Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Strange goings-on tonight - M1 J21 to J23A

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2007, 11:40 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange goings-on tonight - M1 J21 to J23A

I was driving from Kingswood in Surrey up to Derby tonight. An uneventful but busy journey until I got to Leicester Forest East.

I'd been tailing a bloke in a new shape Celica who had been pressing on and wasn't doing anything out of sorts apart from not clearing the outside lane when it was clear to do so. However, he wasn't holding anyone up so no harm done; just a bit untidy. As he crossed over J21, he put his foot down and got up to around 100 m.p.h. (estimated). The traffic was thinning out at this point and as he went by the services he overtook a totally stock 5 series touring which was doing about 60 in the inside lane. At this point, the BMW took off after the Celica and turned on his hidden blue lights. The Celica dropped speed quickly, the BMW returned to the inside lane and resumed his previous speed. The Celica gradually built speed again and eventually disappeared.

I overtook the BMW using the middle lane doing an indicated 80. The driver was wearing a white shirt with no epaullettes. There was a dog guard in the back and like I said before, it looked like a regular family estate car. A couple of minutes later, an Audi A6 came steaming by at which point the BM took off again and pulled exactly the same stunt as he did with the Celica. Same outcome; the Audi slowed up, the BMW returned to the inside lane, the Audi gradually sped up and went off into the distance and I overtook the mystery car doing an indicated 80.

This scenario happened twice more until we got to J23A when the BMW took off like a scalded cat (i.e. very quickly) without showing any lights.

What's to do?

- A friendlier, lower profile method of policing speed limits?
- Someone impersonating Plod on a bit of a power trip?
- Chief Constable or similar who couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork?

The whole episode was most peculiar.

Cheers
Kav
Old 16 May 2007, 12:21 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
I was driving from Kingswood in Surrey up to Derby tonight. An uneventful but busy journey until I got to Leicester Forest East.

I'd been tailing a bloke in a new shape Celica who had been pressing on and wasn't doing anything out of sorts apart from not clearing the outside lane when it was clear to do so. However, he wasn't holding anyone up so no harm done; just a bit untidy. As he crossed over J21, he put his foot down and got up to around 100 m.p.h. (estimated). The traffic was thinning out at this point and as he went by the services he overtook a totally stock 5 series touring which was doing about 60 in the inside lane. At this point, the BMW took off after the Celica and turned on his hidden blue lights. The Celica dropped speed quickly, the BMW returned to the inside lane and resumed his previous speed. The Celica gradually built speed again and eventually disappeared.

I overtook the BMW using the middle lane doing an indicated 80. The driver was wearing a white shirt with no epaullettes. There was a dog guard in the back and like I said before, it looked like a regular family estate car. A couple of minutes later, an Audi A6 came steaming by at which point the BM took off again and pulled exactly the same stunt as he did with the Celica. Same outcome; the Audi slowed up, the BMW returned to the inside lane, the Audi gradually sped up and went off into the distance and I overtook the mystery car doing an indicated 80.

This scenario happened twice more until we got to J23A when the BMW took off like a scalded cat (i.e. very quickly) without showing any lights.

What's to do?

- A friendlier, lower profile method of policing speed limits?
- Someone impersonating Plod on a bit of a power trip?
- Chief Constable or similar who couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork?

The whole episode was most peculiar.

Cheers
Kav
I've had that, some middle lane moron wouldnt pull over so I overtake and got from lane 3 to lane 1 to make my point. He pulls in right behind me and I get blue tracers in my mirrors.
I lift off and indicate to pull in but he overtakes and takes off at 100+
Bizzare
astraboy.
Old 16 May 2007, 09:28 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Probably an idiot having a laugh with the lights behind the grill IMO.
Old 16 May 2007, 10:31 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a power trip, take their reg number and report to the police, they'll soon tell you if it's real or not.
Old 16 May 2007, 10:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

More preferable than a nicking.

Was hapilly doing 95 or so one evening on a straight bit of dual carriageway with little/no traffic. A had passed a slip road as another car was joining and he kept pace with me but a couple of 100 ft back. As I came up to another vehicle on a corner, I indicated out at which point he closed the gap and flashed his blues. I slowed down to legal and we went round the corner, he overtook and drove off. He was acutually a marked car but the principal was the same - sensible policing.
Old 16 May 2007, 12:27 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

I remember last summer driving to the Alps in the RS6.

To begin we were cruising in convoy with a Bentley conti from the eurostar terminal for about 40 mins, sitting around 140-150 on joyful empty toll roads, taking turns to lead.

While the conti was leading suddenly 2 police bikes came from nowhere and pulled him over, must have been a hidden laser trap behind a bridge with bikes in wait, and they must only have had time to get a read on him!!!

Anyway, around Dijon I am passing a white Peugot (surprise) at a slightly more civil but still illegal speed and something catches my eye, its what looked like an off-duty inspector (not a traffic gendarme) frantically waving his badge in his window and pulling all sorts of faces!!!

I slowed pretty damn quick, made the most apologetic face I could and dropped back behind him pretty sharpish!

To top it off, coming up over a mountain to Les gets, just before France v Brazil so making the most of the alpine climb, there was a totally random road block in some tiny village atop the hill, and naturally they pull me over.

Not a good idea when you've been pushing on with a near-2-tonne car. I open the door to a cloud of smoke from the brakes, and oven-like heat coming from under the car!! I heard the word putin several times but what could they do!!! (it was also fun trying to explain that the big bag of white cystals were bath salts for aches and pains and not crystal meth )

ed
Old 16 May 2007, 03:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The flash of blues behind you when you're over the limit.............the world's best laxative

Alcazar
Old 16 May 2007, 06:05 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
The flash of blues behind you when you're over the limit
Alcazar
Speed or drink or even both?