Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HGVs...again..!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2007, 12:02 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HGVs...again..!

i did a round trip of 400 miles up and down the A1 yesterday, from beds to richmond, n. yorks and as i was bored out of my mind i decided to observe the overtaking habits of HGVs after reading a recent thread on here about it...

of course its something id always noticed and that pi**ed me right off, but i was staggered how many times it happened when i was actually looking out for it and how long it was taking some trucks to overtake others...one took a full 2 miles, and on average they were taking at least a mile to a mile and a half...

would a way to avoid this be to make a law that HGVs cannot overtake anything if their speed is above a certain limit...say, 45 mph or similar...?!

also, why does my tom-tom go mental around j41-42ish...? is it a new stretch of road...???
Old 25 May 2007, 12:11 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Its dead simple. If the numpty being overtaken simply took his foot off the gas for a second or two, none of this would occur. Of course, this requires an operating brain cell to operate effectively.
Old 25 May 2007, 12:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Ban it like they do on the german autobahns. Most of the two lane sections have a no overtaking lorries rule so it doesn't happen. Imagine the genius of that?

Also, one that isn't their fault but is blinking stupid is crawler lanes merging back in. Why not keep all the slow moving traffic in their own lane and make the faster traffic merge? Stops lorries doing 40mph after a long hill having to pull out in front of everyone and slow the whole lot down.

It ain'texactly difficult to work out!

5t.
Old 25 May 2007, 12:29 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Driven by retards in the whole. Who in their right mind would choose to do it as a job? There's your answer.
Old 25 May 2007, 12:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
Ban it like they do on the german autobahns. Most of the two lane sections have a no overtaking lorries rule so it doesn't happen. Imagine the genius of that?

Also, one that isn't their fault but is blinking stupid is crawler lanes merging back in. Why not keep all the slow moving traffic in their own lane and make the faster traffic merge? Stops lorries doing 40mph after a long hill having to pull out in front of everyone and slow the whole lot down.

It ain'texactly difficult to work out!

5t.
It's what the French do on their Autoroutes. The fast lane always has to merge, the crawler lane continues.

Any other way is lunacy.

Alcazar
Old 25 May 2007, 12:51 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Driven by retards in the whole. Who in their right mind would choose to do it as a job? There's your answer.
You might want to edit that, STI, chipsengravy got banned for saying something similar
Old 25 May 2007, 12:54 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227
You might want to edit that, STI, chipsengravy got banned for saying something similar
So be it. I said in the whole which negates some who seem to be good. A lot of people who drive cars are idiots on the whole also. It's just in this case we're talking about HGV drivers. The point in case in this thread highlights my argument. If that's worth a ban then I await it
Old 25 May 2007, 12:57 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
So be it. I said in the whole which negates some who seem to be good. A lot of people who drive cars are idiots on the whole also. It's just in this case we're talking about HGV drivers. The point in case in this thread highlights my argument. If that's worth a ban then I await it
Call them 'nerds' then stand back and watch the fireworks
Old 25 May 2007, 12:57 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by fivetide
That works really well, two lanes and the lorries have to stay in the slow lane, when it turns to three the lorries can use the inside two and cars the third, makes perfect sense really. Lorries are also banned from overtaking on the motorways on long uphill sections.
Old 25 May 2007, 01:28 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Nerds & **** Monks in the one thread.
Old 25 May 2007, 01:43 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

*sits back waiting to see if the infraction system will be used again, using the same arguments as previously*

A lorry has just gone around the roundabout where I work, and he was going a little bit too fast, and 10 yards off the roundabout his load of breezeblocks all fell onto the other lane and pavement, narrowly missing our sales manager in his car

The guy in the lorry, stopped picked them up and threw them on the side then drove off