Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any body know anything about bowel cancer?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2007, 09:47 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any body know anything about bowel cancer?

my fiance's grand father has just been diagnosed today. come back from the chiropractors to find her in a heep crying her eyes out

hes had an operation to remove lumps/cells etc, but apparently its moved about inside and spread. can anyone offer any help information on this. ive tried google etc, just wondering if anyone has any success stories on this horrible disease.

for the record hes 68, fit as a fiddle, and has private health care if it will help him. poor sods too ill to even have his wife (her grandmother) see him.

any info most welcome

cheers

andy

p.s. not looking for sympathy on this, general info... cheers
Old 26 May 2007, 09:54 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your fiancee's grand father the best thread i can recomend is the one started by sara theres lots of information on there

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ialist-34.html

I hope this helps

Best wishes
Steph
Old 26 May 2007, 09:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate, unfortunately, the only things I know about it are the bits you don't want to hear, i.e. it's one of the most aggresive forms of cancer. However, my wife is an ICU nurse, so if there's anything specific you want, let me know and I'll get her to supply the answers

Regrads

Mike
Old 26 May 2007, 09:58 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Sorry to hear that mate, unfortunately, the only things I know about it are the bits you don't want to hear, i.e. it's one of the most aggresive forms of cancer. However, my wife is an ICU nurse, so if there's anything specific you want, let me know and I'll get her to supply the answers

Regrads

Mike

thankyou for that mike, i appreicaite your input on this one.
Old 26 May 2007, 09:58 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
my fiance's grand father has just been diagnosed today. come back from the chiropractors to find her in a heep crying her eyes out

hes had an operation to remove lumps/cells etc, but apparently its moved about inside and spread. can anyone offer any help information on this. ive tried google etc, just wondering if anyone has any success stories on this horrible disease.

for the record hes 68, fit as a fiddle, and has private health care if it will help him. poor sods too ill to even have his wife (her grandmother) see him.

any info most welcome

cheers

andy

p.s. not looking for sympathy on this, general info... cheers

Morning Andy. There is not much that can be done about bowel cancer once it has spread. I knew two people who succumbed to this and both unfortunately passed away. Also his age will count against him as the treatment like all cancer treatment is very hard on the body. Best of wishes but prepare for the worst.
Old 26 May 2007, 10:02 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Morning Andy. There is not much that can be done about bowel cancer once it has spread. I knew two people who succumbed to this and both unfortunately passed away. Also his age will count against him as the treatment like all cancer treatment is very hard on the body. Best of wishes but prepare for the worst.

in my mind without sounding disrespectful to her grandfather, i have prepared for the worst. shes very defiant, and i respect her for trying to keep upbeat. shes really close to her grandparents on both sides of her family, hence why this is such a shock to her, and me too i guess seeing her as upset as she is.

ive told her (as shes into craft making and decoupage etc) make him a nice big card with messages from the family on it, or at worst from me and her. im sure anything like this would be appreciated.

andy
Old 26 May 2007, 10:09 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Cancer of the large bowel information centre : Cancerbackup
Old 26 May 2007, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can give you first hand information since I was operated on for it a year ago in February.

It is one of the easiest to cure if it is caught in time. It can be cut out and the bowel stitched back together and it will work again as normal, or even better in my case. If not caught early enough then it can spread to the liver or the lungs in particular and that is a considerably worse problem.

I had to have a full Chemotherapy course which is not pleasant but if he is fit for his age he can withstand that, the side effects don't always surface and the worst bit is the incredible tiredness and lack of energy.

I completed the chemo in September last and have about secovered from its effects now. My last scan says that I was clear of cancer and I will have regular checks for some time ahead to check for early signs of it appearing again.

I have a close friend who has inoperable rectal cancer with nodes in his liver. He is undergoing very heavy chemo in an effort to put him into remission and although he is very tired from its effects, he is ok otherwise. He is shortly to have a scan to see how it is going. He is very positive and we are hoping all will go well for him of course.

There is a special and very effective drug called Avastin which is not generally available on the NHS of course! but can be used if you can get on the trial which is in progress paid for by the drug company. I tried for it but the computer "said no" and I was on the trial without it as a control! I just have to keep hoping that the Capecitebine(Xeloda) which I was given has done the job. It is supposed to be good stuff though.

I wish him all the luck Chocolate, and I hope this has been of a bit of help at least.

Les
Old 26 May 2007, 01:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I can give you first hand information since I was operated on for it a year ago in February.

It is one of the easiest to cure if it is caught in time. It can be cut out and the bowel stitched back together and it will work again as normal, or even better in my case. If not caught early enough then it can spread to the liver or the lungs in particular and that is a considerably worse problem.

I had to have a full Chemotherapy course which is not pleasant but if he is fit for his age he can withstand that, the side effects don't always surface and the worst bit is the incredible tiredness and lack of energy.

I completed the chemo in September last and have about secovered from its effects now. My last scan says that I was clear of cancer and I will have regular checks for some time ahead to check for early signs of it appearing again.

I have a close friend who has inoperable rectal cancer with nodes in his liver. He is undergoing very heavy chemo in an effort to put him into remission and although he is very tired from its effects, he is ok otherwise. He is shortly to have a scan to see how it is going. He is very positive and we are hoping all will go well for him of course.

There is a special and very effective drug called Avastin which is not generally available on the NHS of course! but can be used if you can get on the trial which is in progress paid for by the drug company. I tried for it but the computer "said no" and I was on the trial without it as a control! I just have to keep hoping that the Capecitebine(Xeloda) which I was given has done the job. It is supposed to be good stuff though.

I wish him all the luck Chocolate, and I hope this has been of a bit of help at least.

Les
yes les, a lot of insight there for my fiance to look over. thankyou.

andy
Old 26 May 2007, 03:29 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

I completed the chemo in September last and have about recovered from its effects now. My last scan says that I was clear of cancer and I will have regular checks for some time ahead to check for early signs of it appearing again.

Les
Glad to hear you are well Les.

Good luck to your fiance's grandpa Andy.

Andy Mc
Old 26 May 2007, 07:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You might want to read up on the Dukes scale (A-D) and see how far it's spread in his case.
Old 26 May 2007, 10:35 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

was reading about cancer survical rates on the bbc the other day.
BBC NEWS | Health | Cancer survival: In graphics

BBC NEWS | Health | Medical notes | Bowel Cancer

seems its about 45% for bowel. if its spread then its bad news and probably lower than this

Last edited by jfrf; 26 May 2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 29 May 2007, 12:13 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

As Leslie says, a key issue is whether there are secondary cancers and how bad they are if so.

My mum was diagnosed two years ago. There was a decent sized tumour but no spread, and she was successfully operated on at the age of 75, and followed that with a six-moth chemo course. She is now very well for a 77 year old lady, which I hope is a message that recovery is possible whether young or old.

Be realistic, but be positive too.