Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How long can you leave an 8week pup for?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 07:59 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can you leave an 8week pup for?

One day last week, I started to hear what sounded like a dog crying. That evening, I found out that our neighbour had just bought herself an 8 week old jack russell. She did apologise if we heard anything. I said thats no problem and offered to check in on the pup if she needed to leave her on her own for a while. Laura (our neighbour) said thanks for the offer, but everything will be fine. I for one would never get a puppy knowing damn well that it will be left on its own for upto 8 hours when I when to work. I love dogs and our family had a lab from 11 weeks old, so I know how to look after them.
Our neighbour works very odd hours and has already (after just 3 days of ownership) started leaving the pup (milly) for nearly 7 hours at a time!
The reason i'm writing this post at 7.50 on a sunday morning is due to the fact that milly has been crying her heart out since 5.30am!

If she lived in house where the dog had more room to play, i'm sure it would be less of problem. But, we all live in a block of apartments, so you can hear what goes on in the flat above. We are also not allowed to have dogs according to the lease.
My main concern though is her leaving such a young pup for so long, so soon.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this amicabley?
Old 27 May 2007, 09:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's not on is it. I don't think you would want to leave an adult Jack Russell alone in a flat for many hours, let alone a puppy. I'd say at worst you could leave a puppy alone in a cage for an hour or so. In the situation you describe the puppy will be soiling everything and be very distressed. In a few weeks it will be chewing anything it can find.

In the first instance I think I would be having a straight talk with the neighbour and just tell her that she cannot treat a puppy like that and must make other arrangements very soon.

If/when that doesn't work then you obviously have a number of options including contacting the RSPCA. I'd guess the lease breach would take too long to invoke.

Seems doubtful if you will settle this amicably unless she genuinely cares about animals. Tell her to get a cat instead. dl
Old 27 May 2007, 09:07 AM
bkvj
Scooby Newbie

7 hours is far to long for a puppy to be left alone. at most an hour or two
Old 27 May 2007, 09:35 AM
muttly66
Scooby Regular

2-4 hrs max, and how can you house train it when she is out for such a long time
Old 27 May 2007, 09:44 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I would say around say the same 2-4 hours at the max with 4 hours being a one off. After a descent amount of play time and a good feed leaving a pup for a couple of hours everyday isn't a problem as they still enjoy a good sleep.7 hours is damn right cruel if you ask me !
Old 27 May 2007, 09:49 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well after txting Laura and getting no reply, I called the rspca. They agreed that what she is doing is wrong and they're going to end somebody out.
Just text Laura again, she replied and said that she is going to send her brother round to check on the dog, and that 'Milly' is just not used to being left on her own. At 8weeks!
Old 27 May 2007, 10:03 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Just to sum up: -

Irresponsible/ignorant bitch.

(dl - dog lover)

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2007, 10:35 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

What an absolute disgrace that anybody with half a brain can't see that's just wrong.

She needs putting down and the flat tenancy signing over to the dog.
Old 27 May 2007, 10:40 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Let's hope the **** never has kids
Old 27 May 2007, 10:43 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

thats out of order i wouldnt even let my 5 year old labrador be on her own for over 5 hours the most i leave her for is 2-3 hours and she has a back garden to chill out in when its summer she goes out and chases butterflies
Old 27 May 2007, 10:10 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Dogs trust will only let you home adult, settled, dogs if they're going to be left for that length of time (albeit with other dogs)...

Puppies - if you regularly left them for more than 2 hours they'd refuse. That seems sensible guidelines to me
Old 27 May 2007, 10:23 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The breeder (assuming the puppy was bought) should have asked questions before selling it and therefore refused the sale in this case. 8 weeks is the earliest you should expect a puppy to leave it's mother and then to be dumped on it's own stinks big time.

RSPCA and certain dog organisation policies, well, they are seriously flawed too in certain areas.
Old 27 May 2007, 10:46 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

No, , that is serious evil cruelty to the poor pup.

I'd definatly report it or have very strong words with the so called owner.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:29 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

We work our rotas around our dog so shes only on her own for a limited period and if we are going to be out for too long then I have friends that walk her (once a month we do a long weekend in order to have the next one off)

We never really thought of getting a dog but she followed friends home 6 months ago. She was taken away by the dog warden, she had not collar or chip. They had a week to find her owners or 14 days to be re-homed or would face being put to sleep.
Old 28 May 2007, 06:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The dog will suffer from "separation anxiety" for life and will be very hard to train.

She either needs someone to regularly check the dog and be with it for a while or she needs to get it rehomed.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:43 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

as said pups needs human interaction or they will turn into kiddy attackers no matter what type of dog! we have a one year old jrt and she is golden but thats down to how they are treated at the crucial time of seperation from mother to new home and human contact, what ever the ever the outcome you did the right thing.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

This is a disgrace. I made sure that i am spending the next few weeks working from home to let my new puppy settle in.
What bothers me is that these people are allowed to breed
Old 30 May 2007, 10:02 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah my puppy was left at most for an hour or 2, we got one as my mum in law is retired and her hubby works away mon to fri so she spends the day with the dog and probably goes home about 4 ish and I get back in about 5 ish. In the morning she arrives about half 9 to 10 so again a max of 1 - 2 hours tops. 7.5 hours for an 8 week old is unreal, I agree the breeders if responsible should not have let the pup go to a home like that.
Old 30 May 2007, 10:08 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

No more than two hours for a puppy

Get said woman a asbo
Old 30 May 2007, 10:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Nice one CP for bringing it to the attention of the RSPCA, hope the poor dog gets re-homed