Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car hire in Cyprus

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 08:50 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car hire in Cyprus

We're going to Cyprus in July for 10 days ( flying into and out of Paphos).
Looking at hire cars and the prices all seem to be £400 - £600 for a Scenic or Picasso or similar ( 4 of us plus luggage).
Has anyone used a particular company out there and had good cars or are they usually in a dodgy condition with equally dodgy brakes...we've got the kids with us so I want a good quality car company.

The last car I hired was in France from Hertz and that reeked of sick....even moreso after my 4 year old girl puked in it, but at least I bought some cleaner and made it smell noice again

Also, I read somewhere about excess insurance cover you can get via other companies that cover the mahoosive excess penalties of the hire car company in case of a claim?
Can't remember where I read it though...

Cheers.
Old 27 May 2007, 09:15 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That seems a tad excessive . I left it to chance and hired a car when I flew out to Protaras, and for 3 days hire of a astra convertible I was charged £145 Cyprus pounds which I think was around £150 to 160 English money ended up with a moped the rest of the holiday much more fun Petrol is dirt cheap out there as well.
Old 27 May 2007, 09:28 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

zip, get a few quotes then pm me i will give you a number to try. i have property there so i shop for car hire all the time.
Old 28 May 2007, 01:17 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I've just come back from a week there, attending a friend's wedding.

I used Alamo and wouldn't recommend them again - first car broke down, replacement was tiny, third was allegedly an upgrade, but was in fact a downgrade, and finally settled with a Daihatsu Be-Go, which was fine for us (2 people)

I was in a quiet part of the island, but still 10 mins from Agia Napa. Navigation was a doddle (just as well, as my SatNav didn't have Cyprus on it!). We payed £220 for a week, fully comp.
Old 28 May 2007, 02:34 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

spectrum, was you staying in a village ? liopetri? freneros? sotira? what did you think of nissi beach?
Old 28 May 2007, 07:33 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Right then, got a quote from Europcar.
Scenic or Zafira with A/C, child seat, CDW, unlimited mileage,taxes and full insurance for CY£30 per day with a CY£115.00 excess, which at todays exchange rate is about £365 GBP.
I don't think this is bad.

I could have Ford Fiasco for CY£17.50 per day! Think it may be a tad too small, though.

What do you think, Gatty?
Old 28 May 2007, 07:41 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Right then, got a quote from Europcar.
Scenic or Zafira with A/C, child seat, CDW, unlimited mileage,taxes and full insurance for CY£30 per day with a CY£115.00 excess, which at today's exchange rate is about £365 GBP.
I don't think this is bad.

I could have Ford Fiasco for CY£17.50 per day! Think it may be a tad too small, though.

What do you think, Gatty?
right, now you have the quote which sounds ok ring that number i pmid you and see how you get on. 0800 358 1146 you will probably speak to a yank but that's ok there normally extremely polite. All you need to say is "beat that deal" and you get the business.

good luck, where are you staying?
Old 28 May 2007, 08:49 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gatty, I'll try that this week.
We're staying with some friends who have bought a place in Paramali, and they don't use hire cars 'cos they've got a car they leave at the house.

Jammy buggers.
Old 28 May 2007, 08:58 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Thanks Gatty, I'll try that this week.
We're staying with some friends who have bought a place in Paramali, and they don't use hire cars 'cos they've got a car they leave at the house.

Jammy buggers.
yes they are!!

would that be paralimini famagusta district? have you been before?
Old 28 May 2007, 09:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

OOOOOooo... you're asking me?!

Haven't a clue if it's that district and no, not been before, but I think it's by the Cape aspro?
But judging by all the vids and pics he sends me it looks totally unspoilt and the beaches, all 3 of them, are always virtually empty. My mate is there at the moment ( 4th time this year already!!)
It seems to be the place where the Cypriots go on holiday., and I can't bloody wait to get out there and dip me toes in his pool...
Old 29 May 2007, 01:01 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

We've been to Paphos a couple of times. The second time (2 years ago) we waited until we got out there to hire a car...the reps recommended and put us in touch with 'Thrifty' - now we know why they have this name

We ordered a jeep.... took it into Nicossia and wondered why all the cars were beeping us - turned out there were no brake lights!! After discovering this, we had a closer inspection and amongst the list of problems we found:

The back door was being held together by string - literally ! it was rusted and was falling to pieces.
The horn was not working
Rust under all the wheels arches
A split in one of the tyres - this is after we had been down the Cyrpus equivalent of a motorway
The other three tyres were practically bald on the inside edge.
Rear seat belts were frayed

After numerous conversations with the head rep ( who was extremely hard to get hold of) and which resulted in a huge row, the car was exchanged for another... this time it was just about road worthy!! I shudder to think what could have happened with the first vehicle - it was only fit for scrap IMHO. Looking back we did wonder why the rental guy was so quick to leave the car with us and we should have taken the time to check it over thoroughly before signing the paperwork - we are normally so careful with things like this

First time we went we used AXIS or was it AVIS - just a little run about but it was in A1 condition...

Last edited by little-ginge; 29 May 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 29 May 2007, 01:59 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatty
spectrum, was you staying in a village ? liopetri? freneros? sotira? what did you think of nissi beach?
was staying in Cape Grecco

Nissi Beach is ok. Nicest beach I saw, which isn't saying much for rocky Cyprus "beaches". We used to walk to Nissi from Agia Napa.
Old 29 May 2007, 02:53 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Go for a 4x4 of some sort as there's plenty of off road exploring to do in Cyprus.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:20 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Agree wit Diccy - get yourselves up into the Troodos Mountains - but make sure you take drinks and snacks for the kids..

first time we went were were in a little run around and some of the roads were, shall we say, slightly under developed. Took 7hours to get to the top and back
Old 30 May 2007, 10:06 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

I live in Cyprus, in Dhekelia. Tis about 15 mins from Napa .

Paralimni is inland, about 5 mins from Protaros and Napa. Protaras is like Napa but more family orientated. Loads of beaches to choose from, both in Prot' and Napa. Havent actually been to Nissi beach yet but i'm told it is nice and full of scantily clad ladies of the younger generation (ie late teens, early 20's) bearing their pert chests - must go this summer

A beach i frequent is Mikes Water sports beach between Cape Greko and Prot'. Its in a bay, very clean, good for kids as the water is shallow quite far out and has water sports obviously.

Hire cars - your price sounds reasonable. I've got my own obviously but, i had to hire one for a day last week and it cost me £28 cyp all in for a Hyundai Getz. Multiple day hiring is cheaper.

Feel free to fire away with any Q's

Chris
Old 30 May 2007, 08:36 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

chris i take it your in the forces?

I love cyprus, leon beer, loads of great food, great beaches. Ahhhh
Old 31 May 2007, 12:09 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Yes mate

Prefer KEO to LEON though
Old 31 May 2007, 04:09 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

keo beer

Last edited by shooter007; 31 May 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 31 May 2007, 07:10 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

whats that cyprus brandy called "svilli" or somthing like that?

Great drink for when the gassy beer becomes to much
Old 31 May 2007, 07:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter007
keo beer

Brings back memories drinking keo and watching the king of rock and roll drive through the town singing viva las Vegas on a souped up milk float
Old 31 May 2007, 09:51 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Paphos has quite a few Scoobies and Evo's driving round the town in the evenings........quite unusual to see so many when on holibobs.

Our hire car was a Maruti (Indian made car) a little **** heap......think I filled it up with 100ron fuel............she then really flew, a bit!