Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any runners on here?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 04:26 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any runners on here?

After some advice on places to buy some new trainers for trail / x country running. Currently got some old Adidas which are doing my legs in, horrible things

So far best places seems to be Sweatshop, anyone got any other ideas?

Also any suggestions for trail/x country shoes?

cheers

Neil
Old 08 June 2007, 04:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I run in Nike Air Moto +.
Not too sure how they would fair XC
Old 08 June 2007, 04:30 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My latest pair : Salomon XA Pro 3D. I've done 4 adventure races in these this year and they are by far the best I've used to date.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:49 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

thanks, will have a look at the Salomons.

Not too keen on Nike, never really gotten on with their shoes for sports.

Neil
Old 08 June 2007, 04:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've recently got well into trail running and got some Asics Morikos - Gore Tex and very very good indeed if you have a "normal" stance.

Asics Moriko - JJB Sports Store Online

Usually £85, but I got them for £70.
First 10k trail race next Friday!
Old 08 June 2007, 04:59 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I've recently got well into trail running and got some Asics Morikos - Gore Tex and very very good indeed if you have a "normal" stance.

Asics Moriko - JJB Sports Store Online

Usually £85, but I got them for £70.
First 10k trail race next Friday!
Good luck!

What time are you hoping for?
Old 09 June 2007, 07:34 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Sorry can't help with the shoes, I only do road running, but this place is quite good

hiking boots, walking shoes and outdoor wear
Old 11 June 2007, 09:56 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Get down to your local Sweat Shop mate. They are really good down there - Milton Keynes one is anyway.

They ask you what sort of running you do, distances etc, then they look at you running in bare feet, to see how your feet hit the floor etc (more complicated than this obviously ). Then they get a few pairs out that suit your running style, and make you run in all of them to check them out.

I was really impressed with their service.
Old 11 June 2007, 10:01 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Good luck!

What time are you hoping for?

No idea! The course is VERY off road with a 1 in 3 hill scramble and lots of other obstacles so I'm not expecting much.

Off for a run now - not done as much training as I'd hoped (had flu for a week)!
Old 11 June 2007, 10:14 AM
ChrisB

I picked up a pair of Nike Air Kutu at the weekend as trail running shoes (but can cope with some tarmac on the way to the fields). I did my last adventure race (with Mr Skyline) using my Nike road running shoes and they were generally fine but just lacked a bit of grip going downhill off-road.

I got them from Pete Bland Sports in Kendal who had a great choice of off-road shoes. Loads of choice if you're into trail/XC/fell running.

I'd originally gone in to look at the Puma Trailfox shoes they have (£80 down to £40) but they are just to narrow for my feet.
Old 11 June 2007, 10:28 AM
Little Miss WRX

Best advice I can offer for serious runners who haven't seen a podiatrist yet - go see one and ensure your feet and gait are normal. If not then get them sorted.

Many of you will know of the broken leg I suffered due to shin splints progressing through to stress fractures and eventually a snapped fibula.

If I'd seen a podiatrist earlier I probably could have prevented this and also the PF I am suffering now. (which is fecking painful).

I currently use Asics with a neutral lower section and fit my sports orthotics in them, for my football I have specially designed refereeing boots by Fox which again I put my sports orthotics in.
For normally day to day, I can no longer wear "normal" women's shoes and use smart walking shoes with day to day orthotics and podiatrist designed "going out" shoes.

If you can't be bothered to go to a podiatrist go to a shop which will help you determine your running style etc and offer you a shoe which can give you as much support whether you pronate, that s word which means the opposite or if you are lucky and have a neutral foot.
Old 11 June 2007, 10:35 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Any "decent" running shop won't sell you any trainers without analysing your running style first... They should also let you test any suitable shoes by letting you run around the block in them.

Runners World in Chadwell Heath do this....
Old 11 June 2007, 10:40 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Little Miss WRX
Best advice I can offer for serious runners who haven't seen a podiatrist yet - go see one and ensure your feet and gait are normal. If not then get them sorted.

Many of you will know of the broken leg I suffered due to shin splints progressing through to stress fractures and eventually a snapped fibula.

If I'd seen a podiatrist earlier I probably could have prevented this and also the PF I am suffering now. (which is fecking painful).

I currently use Asics with a neutral lower section and fit my sports orthotics in them, for my football I have specially designed refereeing boots by Fox which again I put my sports orthotics in.
For normally day to day, I can no longer wear "normal" women's shoes and use smart walking shoes with day to day orthotics and podiatrist designed "going out" shoes.

If you can't be bothered to go to a podiatrist go to a shop which will help you determine your running style etc and offer you a shoe which can give you as much support whether you pronate, that s word which means the opposite or if you are lucky and have a neutral foot.
My other half suffered shin splints for some time, before finding a good podiatrist in notts, ended up with a set of carbon inserts which despite a massive £££ sorted the problem. Completed her first 10mile race last week.

Thanks for the other responses, will head on down to Sweatshop later this week. Tried Decatlon yesterday (the shop, not the event!) but couldnt find much

Neil
Old 11 June 2007, 10:53 AM
Little Miss WRX

Yeah, I ignored the shin splint pain as I didn't want to miss any of the football season due tot eh good progress I was making. Kinda backfired on me there!

I'll have to take a piccie of my orthotics which are pretty high due to both of my arches collapsing when I put weight on them. My ankles look like they are bending inwards and there is no gap at all where the arch should be. I have freaky feet. My podiatrist tells me I have challenging feet, I'd much rather him say he can sort them out!

I don't know how you can run 10 miles, I tend to run out of breath too easily, yet I can referee 3 football matches in a row. I know it isn't consistent running, but you certainly cover quite a distance at walk, jog and sprint. I guess having to concentrate on the game takes away the monotony of running.
Old 11 June 2007, 11:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just done 5-6 miles off road.

Knackered!
Old 11 June 2007, 01:24 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

yes, usually cover between 6 and 7 miles off road, which includes 2 power sapping hills almost half a mile in length and pretty steep in gradient. One at the start the other at the end. Hence the reason for a decent pair of shoes as my knees are getting knackered!

I find that once I get warmed up, and find my pace, i can pretty much keep going for a quite a while. If you're getting too out of breath I would think you're pace is too quick.

Neil
Old 13 June 2007, 05:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Any recommendations for pre run food?

Race (10k off road) is on Friiday at 7.15pm and I want to eat the right "slow burn energy" food for it.
Old 14 June 2007, 12:24 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Dont you wanna eat things like bananas and chicken and pasta before?

Check out the runners world site, they have a marathon plan that had a load of food ideas.
Old 14 June 2007, 08:41 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I load up the night before with my favourite, simple high-carb foods:

Before next week's race I will be cooking a lamb and tomato stew which is served up with about 150g cous-cous and a load of raw spinach - that's for the night before.

For an early lunch before starting the race in the evening I'll be having 8 rashers of smoked back bacon cut into small pieces and fried up with a finely chopped onion and then mixed up with 200g pasta.

I made the mistake of having a few pints the night before my last race - NEVER again! I spent 5 hours trying to keep my stomach down

Some people advocate carb loading, some say it's not worth it. I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to work for me but then I do race stupid distances and times : 5 hours up to to 4 days. For a 10K I would eat something I enjoy which contains a good balance of simple carbs, complex carbs and protein. At the most you are going to burn off about 1000 calories so you are unlikely to bonk unless you don't eat and go on a diet of lager.

Best of luck chap, I managed 00:51:20 earlier this year on a 10K cross country which included 4 river crossings
Old 14 June 2007, 08:45 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

2 hours before the race Pasta, eggs, chicken ( light, nothing incredibly heavy )

1 hour before take on an energy drink/bananna and your good to go.

I personally have a handful of jelly babies just before the start, and carry a sachet of energy gel if I feel the need mid race.

After the race, bananna and recovery drink.

Above works for me on road 10kms, although I also usually start loading up on Carbs the day before the event.

Good luck with the run...
Old 14 June 2007, 09:51 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
My other half suffered shin splints for some time, before finding a good podiatrist in notts, ended up with a set of carbon inserts which despite a massive £££ sorted the problem. Completed her first 10mile race last week.

Thanks for the other responses, will head on down to Sweatshop later this week. Tried Decatlon yesterday (the shop, not the event!) but couldnt find much

Neil

If your local to notts you could try these

Nottingham - Total Fitness Nottingham (Beeston),
Sweatshop (inside Holmes Place Gym)
Up and Running (Huntingdon Street)

Loughborough - The Running Fox

Derby - The Derby Runner at (Spondon)
Old 14 June 2007, 10:47 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

dropped into sweatshop in the virgin health place notts yesterday and bought some inovite trail shoes.

will test em out tonite

Neil
Old 14 June 2007, 10:49 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

dropped into sweatshop in the virgin health place notts yesterday and bought some inovite trail shoes.

will test em out tonite

Neil
Old 14 June 2007, 11:14 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Neil - not heard of them.
Were they pricey?

Cheers all for the food tips!
Old 14 June 2007, 12:32 PM
ChrisB

Inov8? Start around £60 on the web eg Pete Bland
Old 16 June 2007, 08:15 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell that was hard work!

10k in the muddiest conditions I think I've ever seen with a bit you had to pull yourself up with a rope, logs, stiles, streams, etc - Great fun but the hills were a bitch!

52m 26s and 52nd out of 180(ish) runners, mostly club so not a bad 1st effort!

Pic of my shiny slap which I used to blind the others runners...

Old 16 June 2007, 08:29 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
My latest pair : Salomon XA Pro 3D. I've done 4 adventure races in these this year and they are by far the best I've used to date.

Another recommendation for these - also the best I've used to date.
Old 16 June 2007, 08:30 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Regarding shoes - not even a hint of a blister or rubbing with mines and we were often running through knee deep water.

Very very impressed.