Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is the media trying to turn us into a nation of drama queens??

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2007, 08:01 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the media trying to turn us into a nation of drama queens??

Oh.. a bit of water.. "The Great Flood".

What a load of utter crap. I've been wanting that dam to burst all day just so that the news have something actually worth reporting as a "disaster". Some houses get destroyed.. I'm sure they can kick the **** out of that in the form of interviews of owners and "Disaster" weekday evening specials for weeks..

Yeah, its a pain in the backside, but its simply inconvienient to everyone other than the two families who have lost someone due to the weather.. but hell - Big Picture Time... a tropical storm thats hit South Asia has killed over 200 people in Karachi alone over the weekend.

Ugh.
Old 26 June 2007, 08:07 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

its the way they work
You arn't just upset you're "devastated"
there isnt a bit of snow in the offing its a "severe weather warning"
and you dont keep your dignity you must go on a european tour to raise awareness rather than looking for your missing child.
Death to the media!
astraboy.
Old 26 June 2007, 08:54 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

It works like this...

1) Make big song and dance about it
2) Blame it on global warming
3) Increase taxes in the name of saving the environment

Simple
Old 26 June 2007, 08:58 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius

What a load of utter crap. I've been wanting that dam to burst all day just so that the news have something actually worth reporting as a "disaster". Some houses get destroyed.. I'm sure they can kick the **** out of that in the form of interviews of owners and "Disaster" weekday evening specials for weeks..

Yeah, its a pain in the backside, but its simply inconvienient to everyone other than the two families who have lost someone due to the weather.. but hell - Big Picture Time... a tropical storm thats hit South Asia has killed over 200 people in Karachi alone over the weekend.

Ugh.
Whilst you may have a reasonable point to make, this is a truly stupid post. Some parts of Sheffield and surrounding areas are under 5ft of water and if the Ully Dam is breached then disaster may well be an accurate description.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:00 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

yep.... truely biblical in its size..... I am suprised Noah wasnt sailing past in his ****** ark.......

Great flood my ****.....
Old 26 June 2007, 09:05 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

3 out of 4 isn't bad I guess.

Just goes to show how lucky everyone is living in the UK when the most terrible thing that could possibly happen is a bit of water ruins your carpets...
Old 26 June 2007, 09:07 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Not sure what the reason is behind your post and can only suspect it is to further your own Asian/religious agenda.

In virtually every Pakistani newspaper there is no mention of the storms/floods in England, however every newspaper and news service in that region is carrying the news regarding the storms in Karachi.

The Daily Mail - Daily News from Pakistan - Newspaper from Pakistan
Pakistan Times - Pakistan's First Independent Complete Multilingual Daily E-Newspaper - June 26, 2007 - PakistanTimes.pk

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2007, 09:07 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Ugh.
Maybe if it happened to you, you'd think a bit different.

3 dead
1000's forced to leave their homes
Section of M1 motorway closed
Railway lines
100's of homes flooded and ruined
dozens of cars wrecked (imagine it your pride and joy)
businesses unable to trade

Simply inconvienient? have some compasion will you.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
It works like this...

1) Make big song and dance about it
2) Blame it on global warming
3) Increase taxes in the name of saving the environment

Simple
Nail on head
Old 26 June 2007, 09:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
to further your own Asian/religious agenda.

Yes, as a born and bred Norfolk, white, pagan boy..

..I'm using it to further my Pakistani Islamic aims.... jihad.. kill the infidels..

But you raise an interesting point..

..That 3 people killed, some water-logged cars and a few ruined carpets isn't prehaps as newsworthy as 200+ killed in Pakistan, 400+ killed in SE Asia and tens of thousands being made homeless; and thats not just until their house insurance pays out either.

My actual point was simply the utter-ridiculousness of the extreme tabloid nature of the media reporting regarding a bit of heavy rain, and that I am at a loss to know how they would react to a true disaster. Which, frankly, this isn't.

2004 Tsunami - Disaster
1906 San Francisco earthquake - Disaster
Great Fire of London - Disaster
Pompey - Disaster
Soggy wallpaper in Sheffield - hmm....

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
3 dead
Railway lines
And using your own kindly provided list, Which one of the above truely matters? Three people have tragically died due to some unusual weather. The rest of it IS nothing but inconvenience.

Last edited by Prasius; 26 June 2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:32 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ugh.

you have a valid point here. what i particularly liked was how, according to ITV News and the VERY DRAMATIC AND DASHING MARK AUSTIN, dame shirley bassey "had a brush with death" when her chopper had to set down in a field on her return from glasto because of the bad weather. actually, the real story was how the chopper set down in bad weather and the first thing this national treasure in diamante wellies did was go for a pee in someone's house - the bathroom hopefully.

her helo looked fine to me. a "brush with death" is a crash-landing from which you luckily walk away [or running a b&b in gwent only to find that ps lewis has just made a booking]. as david coulthard will testify to [crash-landing that is, not running a b&b in gwent and finding ... etc].

the big problem is that as a nation, we can't, don't and won't prepare ourselves for jack sh*t. even for half inch of snow on the motorways. pathetic i'd say.

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 26 June 2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 26 June 2007, 09:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Dare I post what I think or will I get another infraction.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all global warmings fault Nothing to do with the fact that Catcliffe is built on the flood plain of the river ouse and that the area has been tarmacced over leaving thw water nowhere to go.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:53 PM
Slartibartfast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Already heard some guy on the wireless this morning saying that *climate change* meant more of this *inclement weather* ......

Dave
Yes, that was David Miliband - New Labour hotshot and 'Evironment Minister'.

Well there's a surprise then. More softening the public up for the 'no pain no gain' green tax measures coming soon in the name of 'saving the planet'.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:57 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Its all global warmings fault Nothing to do with the fact that Catcliffe is built on the flood plain of the river ouse and that the area has been tarmacced over leaving thw water nowhere to go.
Spot on, builidng all these new properties is only leaving water with no where to go when we have a small shower! Perhaps if the insurance companies started to stop giving insurance cover to houses in areas at risk from flooding we wouldn't have half the problem we have now!

As for global warming, we have a slightly unusual weather change whether it be a cold snap, heatwave, prolonged rain, and it's blamed on climate change... course the climate is changing, it always has done and always will, we have to adapt to it!
Old 26 June 2007, 11:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Got to say the media are the problem here. Sure it is newsworthy and more than an inconvenience to some, but hardly worthy of continual coverage and being named 'The Great Flood'.

I was watching ITV and the BBC earlier and you can almost sense that they want this dam to give way as it gives them so much more to get stuck into especially human tragedy

I remember their coverage of the Tsunami, they were almost salivating as the death toll rose, I'm surprised one of the channels at least didn't construct a Blue Peter style totaliser for the number of dead with a target of several million so they could milk the bloody thing for a few months at least.

Finally a headline one of the tabloids today 'Britain flooded and it will keep raining until the middle of July' - how do they know that, most weather forecasts can't even get right what weather we are having right now.
Old 26 June 2007, 11:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Then I was speaking to my mother and we both agreed that nothing was different, in terms of weather patterns, to when we were younger. She was born in 1936 .....

Dave
No offence but your Mum and you must have a duff memory. I live on the Pennines and all the old folk round here can remember and have pictures of the winters with several feet of snow every year in the 50s and 60s. Yet we haven't had any significant snow for 20 plus years now.

Not saying that global warming is man made or anything as I truly don't know, but the climate is definitely changing and to deny it just to suit your own political agenda is daft.
Old 27 June 2007, 12:03 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I was watching ITV and the BBC earlier and you can almost sense that they want this dam to give way as it gives them so much more to get stuck into especially human tragedy

I remember their coverage of the Tsunami, they were almost salivating as the death toll rose, I'm surprised one of the channels at least didn't construct a Blue Peter style totaliser for the number of dead with a target of several million so they could milk the bloody thing for a few months at least.
Exactly, the sensationalism makes me sick. Its the reason the only news outlet that gets my attention these days is Private Eye.
astraboy.
Old 27 June 2007, 02:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Well all I'll say on the matter is; thank God none of the UK's councils are in charge of flood control measures over here
Old 27 June 2007, 07:52 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Maybe if it happened to you, you'd think a bit different.

3 dead
Railway lines

Simply inconvienient? have some compasion will you.

Every year, without fail, somewhere on the coast gets flooded. Cars get washed away, people lose belongings, roads and railway tracks are under water. Its happened for as long as I can remember. Heck, I remember watching about 100 cars floating around a particular sea side car park about 20 years ago.

It happens inland too. The river spey burst its banks this very Christmas, causing massive flooding and damage to homes, farms and businesses. Part of the main line railway from the South to Inverness was washed away. Cars were damaged, livestock drowned.

Did it make national headlines 24/7? No...

Perhaps because it wasn't England?

Probably.

To the orignal poster. You're sick of it? Try living in Wales, Ireland or Scotland (and maybe Cornwall ) and see what it feels like to have your own "disasters" largely ignored.

Its somewhat ironic. Thankfully, despite the media's apparent efforts to bring doom and gloom upon us all, we British seem pretty good at shrugging it off and getting on with life even if large sections of the UK population couldn't prepare for a storm in a teacup.

Last edited by Devildog; 27 June 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 27 June 2007, 08:13 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Great Fire of London - Disaster

Three people have tragically died due to some unusual weather. The rest of it IS nothing but inconvenience.
Remind me: how many people died in the Great Fire of London? Surely the burnt houses etc were just an inconvenience?
Old 27 June 2007, 08:29 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Whilst there are some parts of the media who are 'hyping' it up to a degree, when you're caught up in it you realise what a massive disaster it is.

Anyone who hopes the dam bursts in a fookin moron. I hope they're stool next to it if it goes.
Old 27 June 2007, 09:16 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I think the point is, its a disaster on a scale of things that happen in Britain
Old 27 June 2007, 09:26 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The original poster is a tosser. why the rest of you try and justify it to him I have no idea. Leave the ***** be.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:11 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
. why the rest of you try and justify it to him I have no idea.
Perhaps because he's right?
Old 27 June 2007, 10:12 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Perhaps because he's right?
Clearly Big Brother is more pressing news for people like you. Here you go fill your boots

The Sun Newspaper online - the best for news, sport and showbiz
Old 27 June 2007, 10:36 AM
AER-SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

First of all I feel for the families who have lost their loved ones to this. But I do agree that this is no disaster, only a huge inconvenience to most involved.
I come from a village where it does flood from heavy rain fall, and as I have mentioned above is an inconvenience to us. However, this village has also suffered a true disaster where a whole generation was lost from a coal slag collapsing on top of them.
The media ‘overhypes’ so much these days. It is news worthy but over reported as something it’s not.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:43 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Two major UK cities have suffered large scale floods. Had it been London I'd like to see how the southern poofs would have coped. We'd never hear the end of it.

Fact is it's cool to show disdain for incidents these days for some reason.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:46 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AER-SCOOBY
First of all I feel for the families who have lost their loved ones to this. But I do agree that this is no disaster, only a huge inconvenience to most involved.
I come from a village where it does flood from heavy rain fall, and as I have mentioned above is an inconvenience to us. However, this village has also suffered a true disaster where a whole generation was lost from a coal slag collapsing on top of them.
The media ‘overhypes’ so much these days. It is news worthy but over reported as something it’s not.
Aberfan I take? Different times now though isn't it. Internet, 24 hour news channels. you get to hear a lot more about things that go on. However in the case of Aberfan it is a disaster that is known worldwide and is an incident that is still told in schools.

Quick Reply: Is the media trying to turn us into a nation of drama queens??