Victory for bank charge dad

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2007, 09:26 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victory for bank charge dad

4/ 7/2007

A SINGLE parent has sent bailiffs into his bank to recover thousands of pounds worth of charges owed to him.
A writ for £2,775 was issued to the Abbey National, in Chorlton, Manchester, by bailiffs working on behalf of Sam Umaar.
A stand-off between Mr Umaar, from Chorlton, and the bank arose last May after he tried to claim back ‘unlawful’ penalties originally amounting to £1,915.
Mr Umaar, who is on income support, took the case to Manchester Crown Court after the bank offered him £60 as ‘a gesture of goodwill.’
When the bank did not show up in court, a udge ruled that Mr Umaar should be awarded £2,775, which includes interest and his court costs.
After not receiving a penny in two weeks, he went back to court to file a warrant of execution – which resulted in the bailiffs visiting the bank to issue a writ.
Mr Umaar said that his success in the courts had been ‘a victory for the small man against the might of the big banks’.
He said: "I just hope that this writ finally brings some closure to all of this and that the bank pay up.
"The banks are very quick to take the money out of your account but they are not so quick to repay what they rightfully owe you."
Mr Umaar first wrote to Abbey National stating that he wanted to have any unlawful bank charges refunded.
After initially getting no response, he wrote asking for his past statements, which showed that he had been over-charged £1,915.
He said: "I sent yet another letter and they eventually wrote back to me offering me £60 ‘as a gesture of good will’.
"I was completely speechless and really angry, it was a real slap in the face and although it was really daunting going to court and trying to take on such a big bank I’m so glad I did. After going back to court again I finally got the result I wanted and I’m just hoping that they pay up now."
A spokesman for the Abbey National confirmed they had been issued with the writ.
He said: "We are aware of the hearing that took place at Manchester County Court on June 7, 2007 and the award to Mr Umaar.
"We will be issuing a cheque to Mr Umaar as soon as possible."
Old 05 July 2007, 10:06 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Good for him
Old 05 July 2007, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Saw on TV that the 44 cases due to go to court in Hull yesterday resulted in the banks paying out 37 BEFORE they reached court, and the other 7 have been told by the court that they have until september 28th to advise the court as to their costs and how they are calculated so as not to make a profit

The ones who have to do this include Yorkshire Bank, (never could get money out of Yorkies ) And Alliance and Leicester, (now wait for it: that's LOW [of them ])
Old 05 July 2007, 11:45 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's still a mystery to me... This financial incompetent, goes overdrawn for the very first time and gets charged say, £25. Then rather than stop trying to pay for things when there is no money in his account he carries on, and on and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...
The bank carry on sending him statements, writing with notifications of charges, swallowing his cash cards and charging him in keeping with his accounts terms and conditions etc and what does he do?
He carries on and on and on and on and on and on bouncing payments, causing inconvenience to many and racking up charges, because he is either lazy, ignorant, poor or stupid.
The bank carry on charging in accordance to the terms and conditions of the contract he signed when he opened the account...

Then all of a sudden, this imbecile realised he can challenge the penalties imposed upon him for his recurring crapness and ends up getting it all back!!!

I appreciate there is a legal loophole there to exploit, but morally it is disgusting that someone could even have the audacity to challenge it, regardless of the loophole and the actual cost to the bank to facilitate his financial retardedness...

It's another example of me wondering why I am an honest, hard working financially bouyant person. I should just sack it all off, sign on, seek compensation for everything, have loads of kids on welfare so I can get a bigger house and continually fork up my finances at no cost to myself

Oooo it makes me blood boil!
Old 05 July 2007, 11:50 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Serves the bank right for giving him credit and an OD in the first place IMO
Old 05 July 2007, 11:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
It's still a mystery to me... This financial incompetent, goes overdrawn for the very first time and gets charged say, £25. Then rather than stop trying to pay for things when there is no money in his account he carries on, and on and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...
The bank carry on sending him statements, writing with notifications of charges, swallowing his cash cards and charging him in keeping with his accounts terms and conditions etc and what does he do?
He carries on and on and on and on and on and on bouncing payments, causing inconvenience to many and racking up charges, because he is either lazy, ignorant, poor or stupid.
The bank carry on charging in accordance to the terms and conditions of the contract he signed when he opened the account...

Then all of a sudden, this imbecile realised he can challenge the penalties imposed upon him for his recurring crapness and ends up getting it all back!!!

I appreciate there is a legal loophole there to exploit, but morally it is disgusting that someone could even have the audacity to challenge it, regardless of the loophole and the actual cost to the bank to facilitate his financial retardedness...

It's another example of me wondering why I am an honest, hard working financially bouyant person. I should just sack it all off, sign on, seek compensation for everything, have loads of kids on welfare so I can get a bigger house and continually fork up my finances at no cost to myself

The charges are disproportionate to the costs incurred by the bank and here lies the rub. If ther banks where nnot so greedy as to charge disproportionately then this 'loophole' would not have occurred.

The banks have laid themselves open to this and if not, why not claim back if the courts deem this unfair then so be it.

Lets hope that you never get into a position where you do not have any money and the bank keep charging you 'fees'

It is easily done, if things change for the worse in your life.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:54 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

So you're fully conversant with Mr. Umaar's financial situation and spending habits are you ?
Old 05 July 2007, 12:21 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Dont be daft MJW, of course I am not but you only go overdrawn if you spend more than you have

Banks are a business, not a public service - they make money from interest charges and financial penalties on those crap with their money. We all know that when we open bank accounts, take out loans, mortgages etc...

This loophole, whereby the charge should represent the cost incurred to the bank, is as absurd as people trying to claim back this very fair tax on the financially inept.
Old 05 July 2007, 12:22 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

"We will be issuing a cheque to Mr Umaar as soon as possible."
aaaaaaahhhh........ BOINGY!
Old 05 July 2007, 01:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

No, what makes blood boil is reading smug posts like yours.
Give a thought for those less well off, who drop into problems through no fault of their own, (lost job, injured, illness) etc. The banks just fleece them.

I know of one person who is on just £550 a MONTH now, but is payed weekly. Because the three direct debits he has, came out on a date that suited the bank for those paid MONTHLY and didn't coincide with his weekly pay, they bounced all three, even though they knew his account would cover them the next day. They then charged him £105 to do it.

Now that's just under 1/5 of his monthly salary gone in bank charges. He's struggling to make ends meet, and they do that. Now he has to pay his DDs and live on £445 for a month

Just think about others less fortunate than yourself, please, Ab, I know it's not fashionable to do so, but they do exist, and it's mostly people like that who get done by the thieving banks. £35 to return a DD, FFS

Alcazar
Old 05 July 2007, 03:19 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

No, what makes my blood boil is being charged £39 for the bank refusing a direct debit because I was 80p short (and before you jump on your high horse Orange Broadband had decided to take the payment out a week early totally unbeknown to me)

Good on everyone who has claimed back their charges, if the fee was about £10 I wouldnt mind and hold my hands up to it, but £39 is just a rip off.

And as it has been posted before sudden illness/accidents/unemployment etc can seriously make a change to your circumstances. And the banks are not there to help you, "Come to us and tell us" they say, but when you do, they dont give a flying f*ck and still screw you for every penny.
Old 05 July 2007, 05:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs WRX

And as it has been posted before sudden illness/accidents/unemployment etc can seriously make a change to your circumstances. And the banks are not there to help you, "Come to us and tell us" they say, but when you do, they dont give a flying f*ck and still screw you for every penny.
Yep, when the bloke I posted about fell on hard times, they told him to sell his car as it was his biggest outlay.

Great idea..........since he works 20 miles from home, so: no car, no job. Then what? They had no answer. Prats!